MOO2Civ

The easiest way to do it for me is to find my old moo3 disc and make screenshots from the battle in 3d, which will take some time. It's a pity the ships in moo3 were made using the dead-end technology and cannot be exported...

The link with concept design for moo ships is here: http://www.orionsector.com/pages/moo3/art/art-ships.php

I forgot about modeling MoO3 ships. Pics of those might work for inspiration.

I've made some research to let the moo2 tech tree be avaliable in text format :).

Original research tree from the MOO2:
(WORK IN PROGRESS)

CONSTRUCTION
Advanced engeneering
Research cost: 80 RP.
º Anti-missile rockets
Spoiler :
Can only target missiles. They have a maximum range of 15 squares and will fire defensively against approaching missiles if not yet fired this turn. The chance to score a hit is 85% minus 5% per square distance.

º Fighter bays
Spoiler :
Allow a ship to carry a group of 4 short-range fighters. They carry one beam weapon of the best type that can have the point defence modification, and can fire it 4 times before returning to the launching ship.

Advanced construction
Research cost: 150 RP.
º Automated factories
Spoiler :

Aid industry workers in their building of finished products. Generates 5 production and increases the production each worker generates by +1.

º Planetary missile base.
Spoiler :

Contains 300 space units of your best missiles, with unlimited ammo.

Capsule construction
Research cost: 250 RP.
º Survival pods.
Spoiler :

Provide suspended animation facilities for legendary officers if their ship is destroyed. At least one friendly ship must survive the combat to rescue any survived officers.

Astro engeneering
Research cost: 400 RP.
º Armor barracks.
Spoiler :

Creates tank batallions. It has 2 units when built, and adds 1 unit every 10 turns, up to half the planet's population. Eliminates the moral penalty for dictatorships and feudal governments.

º Fighter garrison.
Spoiler :

Planetary base that houses 10 interceptors. Fighter garrisons are equipped with 6-bomber, or 4-heavy fighter squadrons when the appropriate technology becomes avaliable. New fighters become avaliable every 10 combat turns.

º Space port.
Spoiler :

Site for commercial transactions, increasing the money generation of a colony by 50%.

Robotics
Research cost: 650 RP.
º Battle station.
Spoiler :

Heavily armed star base, with +4 parsec scanning range bonus. Adds +10% to the offence of ships in combat around it. Replaces a star base.

º Power armor.
Spoiler :

Provides troops with superior power and mobility by mechanically magnifying their natural strength. Power armor equipped troops have a +10% bonus to their combat rating and take +1 hits to kill.

º Robo miners.
Spoiler :

Automate many difficult tasks, increasing the producivity of the industrial workers. Generates 10 production and increases the production each worker produces by +2.

Servo mechanics
Research cost: 900 RP.
º Advanced damage control.
Spoiler :

Completely repairs ships between battles. Automatically included on all ships once the technology is researched.

º Fast missile racks.
Spoiler :

Allow a ship to fire two volleys of missiles in 1 turn. Will only fire one per turn after that, unless the ship takes one full turn without firing missiles to reload.

Astro construction
Research cost: 1150 RP.
º Battleoids.
Spoiler :

Giant robot fighting vehicles superior in power and mobility to conventional tanks. They have a +10 bonus to their combat rating and take 3 hits to destroy.

º Ground batteries.
Spoiler :

Ground installation that contains 300 space units of heavy mount and point defence versions of the best avaliable beam weapons.

º Titan construction.
Spoiler :

The titan class of starship is gigantic in proportion to other ships, and requires advanced engineering techniques to both construct and integrate ship systems.

Advanced manufacturing
Research cost: 1500 RP.
º Planet construction.
Spoiler :

A colony that has an asteroid field or gas giant within its star system can create a complete artficial planet capable of supporting life.

º Recyclotron.
Spoiler :

Allows scrap materials reuse, reducing construction costs. Every unit of population generates +1 production. This increase does not count towards the planetary pollution level.

Advanced robotics
Research cost: 2000 RP.
º Bomber bays.
Spoiler :

Short range ships carrying a bomb that can be dropped on a planet or detonated on a ship. They carry one bomb each of the best type avaliable. They move in groups of 4 at a speed of 10.

º Bomber bays.
Spoiler :

Builds mechanical workers that add production dependent on a colony's mineral resources 5, 8, 10, 15 or 20.

Tectonic engeneering
Research cost: 3500 RP.
º Deep core mining.
Spoiler :

Allows miners to build stable tunnels deep into a planet. Generates 15 production and increases the productivity of each worker by +3 production each.

º Core waste dumps.
Spoiler :

Take man-made toxing/polluting agents and store them deep within the surface of the planet, far below surface water supplies. Planetary pollution is completely eliminated.

Superscalar construction
WILL BE SOON

Under Construction

I will update the post number 146 when I have more time.

Also I wonder is it possible to apply the "illness" to production instead of food... Because the MOO had "pollution" instead of illness, and this change would make the game much closer to moo2.
This way every system would have determined population (by number of "food" produced) and the number of people will affect productivity % only. Also it will make different recycling facilities more moo-like. And it will make different "biospheres" and "subterranean" trait much more easy-to-implement (because they will work through the increasing of the food production).

Pardon me for asking what may be a dumb question, but my computer doesn't recognize the patch. Can you tell me where I can get the software to open and run it?

I've started on updating Intro and Pedia texts, which - when finished - will include MOO2 text voor all Pedia entries.

Obviously this will take some time to complete and as the 2 ships currently available should be included as well (I've found the necessary instructions to do so, but haven't started on it yet), and maybe a LH or two (been looking for instructions on that too), so Patch4 is postponed for now - maybe next weekend, we'll see.

Funny ship, woodelf =).
It looks like a X-files UFO. I think the only problem is where to place it in the shipset...
If we want to be close to MOO2 (Jeelen stated that we should be as close as possible and doesn't even allow any stuff from the MOO3) where can we use the round ship?
Because all of the MOO2 ships have engines/guns/cockpit parts and certain facing direction and there were no round UFOs at all.

[EDIT] Is it only my imagination, or do you love McDonalds? :)

There are a couple of the larger ships that appear circular in that UNITS.bmp a few pages back. I had to assume they aren't spherical. And seeing engines, guns, and cockpits isn't that easy in that pic either. I remember adding components, but you really needed to use imagination to see them in game.

The screenshot on the DL page says it's an Invasion Ship. (In MOO2 terms that might be equated to a Transport, perhaps.)

I wouldn't say I don't allow anything from MOO3 (especially for ship designs MOO3 examples seem very useful indeed). What I meant - and gathering from the comments received most posters agree - is the game mechanics mainly and the general feel should be MOO2-style.

(On a personal note, though I have MOO3 myself, I feel more comfortable with MOO2. But as concerns graphics MOO3 is superior, so it seems foolish not to use MOO3 ships for inspiration.)

EDIT: Just saw woodelf's comment. The ships you're referring to would be Doomstars - they're somewhat like a Borg Cube (and about as dark in colour), but with rounded edges. Also, they're the largest ships in the game (sort of like a movable Starbase). I think the round ship doesn't look quite as menacing plus it's way to small for a Doomstar class ship.

Cool stuff! :) (DLed.) From the looks of it, could be a Meklar Frigate class vessel. (At this rate, next patch will be quite a package!);)

Top Bottom