Demi-god

rosejane

Chieftain
There are not many new games of the sort I like which will run on this old pc.
I set myself the task of winning Civ 3 with every tribe & at every level. I have reached demi-god, won with Arabia, Iroquois & Maya but nothing since then, not even nearly.
If I do begin to catch up on Power, I loose on Culture. I am always way way behind on Culture.
I play using quick.civ vs 3 random opponents. I am not a fighter, at least not until tanks, & like to explore & expand. This worked at lower levels.
Any suggestions?
:eek:

it's tough to see what you're doing wrong without a save or screenshot.

But the general idea you'll hear in the forums is:
- Lose on Culture? Why do you need culture? Playing a "culture-numbers" game is a very bad strategy.
- At least 1 worker per city. Once you get industrial, you need even more.
- Are your forming alliances, and dogpiling other civs?
- Don't space cities wider than 3 tiles in-between. That's because
- You're game should be won before you reach industrial period.

:wallbash:
I have attached my most recent game. I thought I might win with this although time was running out as I had more land & my population was about to explode (hospitals) but again I lost on Culture on the next turn. I could switch a culture win off but this seems like cheating. I didn't have to at lower levels.
What is 'dogpiling'? - I'm British.

Attachments

• EG Pachacuti of the Inca, 2020 AD.SAV
    667 KB · Views: 119
Welcome to CFC, rosejane!

What is 'dogpiling'? - I'm British.
Dogpiling refers to a situation where multiple civs all go to war against a common enemy, creating a "dogpile." If I'm at war with Civ A, I go get military alliances against A with Civs B, C. & D, for example.

I guess I should say welcome to civfanatics forums Rosejane! Now since I've taken a look at your save, I think I can say a few helpful things. You seem to research all technologies by yourself. Work on trading technology with the AI, and learn to trade maps, gold, etc. A program like MapStat or CivAssist 2 can help you here. You can also find some good articles (such as those in the War Academy) about trading. You also need to develop your land in different ways. Specifically, you've started researching Refining. You've got coal in your territory, so road up that coal square and start building railroads. Even though I haven't counted, with your terrain it seems you also have too few workers. You also have plenty of luxuries on your continent, such as ivory, that you haven't built a city near, nor hooked up for the rest of the empire. In general, always try to obtain as many luxuries as you can either by roading up tiles to a luxury within your culutral border, building colonies, going to war for them, or trading for the AIs extra luxuries.

Once you have rails and sanitation forests do you little good in anyplace except the tundra. Once you hit the industrial age it works better to chop all your forests and then mine or irrigate your squares and then rail everything up. I don't exactly know how quick.civ works. If you play for a diplomatic, cultural, histographic, or spaceship victory you'll play past the industrial period. You might want to check some of the saves around here of "higher-level" players for some ideas, although I don't play and many people don't play quick.civ.

:)
Thanks for the ideas. Quick.civ is supposed to be the same as normal but with huge map (I like exploring) & fast so doesn't take so long to complete but perhaps I ought to go back to the standard.
I thought I already did trade a lot but I often don't have enough money or the other civs refuse. When I have won on other levels (& I have done them all, all civs), I mostly won on points (is that histographic?) or had UN &, as I was no-one's enemy, was voted Sec Gen.
I build 1 woker for each new town - is that not enough?

The general rule comes as 2 workers per town for a non-industrious tribe, 1.5 per town for an industrious tribe. I usually train more since I add in workers to cities where I don't build granaries. Your game had something like accelerated production on, and some sort of strange culture thing so that you got mega-culture per turn in some cities. There exists "victory point" scoring as well as histographic scoring. You'll get a lot more knowledge of the map if you trade for maps with the AIs during the game. At demi-god and above the trick tech-wise lies in either building/having The Great Library and/or knowing what to research and/or buying tech. For an idea on what the AI will tend to research next see here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=123345

Top Bottom