Language translations for leader sayings

That's right.

Also on the subject of Napoleon, there is another translation error.

"Je me suis battu... Fais ce que tu veux de moi." translated as "I am beaten (defeated probably works better, but beaten is the literal translation)... Do what you will with me."

On the other hand, "J'ai battu" does translate into "I've fought". It's confusing.

I am also slightly irked by the use of "tu" instead of "vous". "Vous" is more formal than "tu" - similar to the difference between German "du" and "Sie". Then again, you never know with Napoleon.

Edits made and credited. Thanks guys! Still searching for a Hawaiian to do Kamekameha. :)

Interesting idea. Who should I email at the university?

I'd say either head of the Hawaii language dept or maybe see who seems to be the best/coolest/mostlikelytodosomethinglikethis on ratemyproff

I didn't find Hawaiian language there, though they do seem to have other Polynesian languages.....I guess until we find new translations though, this thread will die. It's not being stickied, it seems--and not many seem all that interested in the translations anymore. Maybe that's just me being pessimistic, but... =|

What is peaceful, gloat and demand? I never heard those. In which situations do they say those?
Or actually wait, I know peaceful is when you make a peace treaty right? But what is gloat and demand? We do they say those?

Isn't gloat what they say when they have those random mocking messages?

Gloat and Demand are not currently used in the game, they were apparently recorded (though not for all voice actors) and not implemented in the game, which is sad. I remember in Civ 4 leaders would come up to you and demand you change to Hereditary Rule etc....or demand goods in exchange for brief periods of peace. Here, aggressive civs don't do that. They simply attack you. =|

Gloat and Demand are not currently used in the game, they were apparently recorded (though not for all voice actors) and not implemented in the game, which is sad.

Now I'm very very sad... :sad:

I didn't find Hawaiian language there, though they do seem to have other Polynesian languages.....I guess until we find new translations though, this thread will die. It's not being stickied, it seems--and not many seem all that interested in the translations anymore. Maybe that's just me being pessimistic, but... =|

http://manoa.hawaii.edu/hshk/kawaihuelani//

that's the university's hawaiian department if you're still interested

Nebuchadnezzar is speaking Akkadian. He is definitely not saying his name in the intro.

Napoleon is probably saying C'est toi instead of tais-toi.

Here are some of Alexander's lines:
Intro: "Hello Stranger! I am Alexandros, son of kings and grandson of the gods! (Χαιρε ξενε. Αλεξανδρος ειμι, υιος των ανακτων και εκγονος των θεων!)"
Neutral Let's Hear it 01: "Go On. (Προσερχου.)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: Listen. (Ακουω.)

Neutral Let's Hear It 03: "Yes? (Ναι?)"

Neutral Let's Hear It 04: "Come. (Ελθε.)"
Neutral Yes 02: "(I Like It) Very Much. (Μαλιστα.)

Neutral Yes 03: "Excellent! (Αριστα!)"
Hate Hello: "What? (Τι?)"

Hate Let's Hear it 01: "You Say. (Ερ - Λεγεις.)"

Hate Let's Hear it 02: "And? (Και?)"
Hate No 01: "Not that! (Ταυτα ουχί δου!)"
Hate No 03: "You bastard! (Σουγε νοθη!)"
Defeated: possibly "How could this be? I am heir to the Gods", but it sound like he mentions Apollo in the first part

Hiawatha is speaking Mohawk, in his intro, he say Greetings, I am Hiawatha of the Iroquois (Haudenosee)...

Darius intro, Greetings, I am Darius king of Persia...
Askia is speaking Songhai, and his intro starts out with I am Askia of Songhai, the rest could be something like do not mess with us

@Lolocoster: I'm sorry to correct you, but "vos" was used for a very long time to talk to monarchs (and lords, depending on who was talking). So "decíais" is indeed the right one, not "decias". I agree with you on the fact that the accent was missing (thus, another correction is needed :) ).

@LouisXXIV: I don't know for latin America, since there they use "usted" instead of "tu"(depends on the country, though), so I don't know what role they give to "vos" there; but in Spain, it has simply been lost. Maybe some kind civer will further expand on the topic.
I previously stated that you may use it to speak to the king, but thinking about it, even then it would sound awkward. So we use "usted" exclusively, although I have to say that we use it way more sparingly that in French, for example (can't say about Italian), where the "tu" is kind of familiar. You would only use "usted" in Spanish for your boss, for old people, or if you want to clearly distanciate yourself from someone (which may actually be very rude); some people and some regions still use it somewhat frequently, though, but it's becoming rarer and rarer.

Guandao, your additions have been included in the parent post. The post is literally at the max no. of characters allowed, if anyone has further translations please let me know! I can make a new thread. :D

Adding Napoleon corrections par your suggestions, Guandao and Bowsling. Let the language discussion continue!

No, I didn't email Hawaii U yet. I'm not sure how I would word my email without sounding like a suspicious scam of some sort. But if others are willing to give it a try, please let me know. :)

My second post was further down the page from the parent post, so....wouldn't it be better just to open a new thread? What do you think?

I'd say something like 'Hi, I'm ________________ , also known as Morningcalm, a member of an online community called CivFanatics, a fansite for the game Civilization 5. Recently, a 'DLC' (Downloadable Content) pack was released featuring King Kamehameha I as king of Polynesia. I am working on compiling a list of the translations for what the leaders ingame say, and as such, would it be OK if I sent you some files for you to listen to and translate for me?
Thanks in Advance,
______________ (Morningcalm)'

I'd say it doesn't matter, and I'd rather have it all in the one topic so one doesn't get forgotten about.

Top Bottom