Ask a Gay, Southern, American, Teenage Curler who is also a Boy Scout

I remember my Cub leader attempting to teach me the running bowline with all that guff about rabbits running around trees, up and down holes and so on. I can tie a reef knot though (left over right and under, right over left and through).

Do you think your being in the South has caused your experience as a gay teenager to be different than in other parts of the nation? Or is the stereotype of the South being more homophobic untrue in your experience?

Do you think your being in the South has caused your experience as a gay teenager to be different than in other parts of the nation? Or is the stereotype of the South being more homophobic untrue in your experience?

Oh, I don't doubt the South is more homophobic. For example, every southern state with the exception of North Carolina (yay us!) already has a constitutional amendment limiting marriage to a union between a male and a female. Luckily, I live in Raleigh, so I haven't really experienced too much homophobia. No one I know has every given me a hard time for it, but I'm not stupid, I don't tell people I know wouldn't like it.

Unless you are deliberately trying to frustrate the guy who has to untie it, An example of what never to do doesn't exactly count as a knot.

You mean granny? After you tie a granny knot and you want to get rid of it, usually people just take a knife to it. Square knots are easy to untie, I thought, but if they're knot you can always cut them, too.

Exactly. Granny isn't really a proper knot at all. It is only shown as what to never do under any circumstances.

Oh, I don't doubt the South is more homophobic. For example, every southern state with the exception of North Carolina (yay us!) already has a constitutional amendment limiting marriage to a union between a male and a female. Luckily, I live in Raleigh, so I haven't really experienced too much homophobia. No one I know has every given me a hard time for it, but I'm not stupid, I don't tell people I know wouldn't like it.

You mean granny? After you tie a granny knot and you want to get rid of it, usually people just take a knife to it. Square knots are easy to untie, I thought, but if they're knot you can always cut them, too.
The South isn't all that special

Navy: SSM
blue: equivalent
LB: some benefits
DG: recognzed
LG: nothing
LR: Statuette ban
Red&DR: Constitutional ban

Your state just voted 61-39 to amend the constitution to define that the only legally recognized domestic legal union that is valid and legally recognized as between a man and a woman.

Yes, it is much more accurate to call most of them "red states" instead of "Southern".

But his point remains. Most Southern states are also red states and they are typically more homophobic than the Northern or Western states.

Yay Washington for being the only navy state west of the Mississippi!

Suck it other Westerners.

The South isn't all that special

Navy: SSM
blue: equivalent
LB: some benefits
DG: recognzed
LG: nothing
LR: Statuette ban
Red&DR: Constitutional ban

Your state just voted 61-39 to amend the constitution to define that the only legally recognized domestic legal union that is valid and legally recognized as between a man and a woman.

:blush: Yeah, it's pretty bad. We actually had equal benefits (without the name 'marriage') in some cities like Charlotte and Chapel Hill, and I'm sure it's illegal to continue to provide them.

I'm jealous.

:blush: Yeah, it's pretty bad. We actually had equal benefits (without the name 'marriage') in some cities like Charlotte and Chapel Hill, and I'm sure it's illegal to continue to provide them.

I'm jealous.

Maryland has everything including name which isn't bad for an ex-slave state.

He was a fellow Buckeye and a tactical genius, so I figure some honor is due to him. The name also seems to be accomplishing its purpose of annoying Southerners.

After some embarrassment, I must retract this. I recently found out that Iowa is actually west of the Mississippi.

So I got a 92 on my Physics test. Anyone have any questions (please)?

Because I'm a teenager, I skipped first period to study for a my Physics test in third. I studied a lot. And I killed it.

Yeah, I skip school a lot. I'm acing every class, so my grades don't suffer.

Don't celebrate just yet. R-74 may get on the ballot, putting the gay marriage to a state vote.

Top Bottom