Unpopular Opinion Thread

Me too ... I hate early game because it is mostly uterly boring for me - especially the first turns after starting.... nothing but end turn, end turn, (....) end turn aaaaaand .............
oh my worker just finished a farm ... end turn, end turn, end turn and suddenly :eek: !!!!!!

.... nothing happens :D

You play marathon though, right? That "first 100 turns" should translate to the first 300 turns for you.

You play marathon though, right? That "first 100 turns" should translate to the first 300 turns for you.

Yeah pretty much so ;) It's because I play only on large or huge maps so I find that a normal speed is a little bit unbalanced on them because when You have a lot of cities things (like research for example) are happening too quickly ;)

I like to leave hut-popping on. I like the randomness of what you will get. I don't understand the belief that they must be turned off because of their randomness.

Rhyes and Fall of Civilization isn't a good mod.*

I think Catherine is a great ally.

Permanent alliances are awesome!

*I do like Dawn of Civilization though as it fixes most of the issues with it.

I love hut popping too but after the Monarch the AI gets waay too much of a better deal plus the extra units to exploit them that I begrudgingly turn them off.

Huts here too !! ^^ ....and random events FTW !! :D

I like hut popping, and I often play with events on. But because AI gets so many more units, they pop a lot more huts than I do.

I like to leave hut-popping on. I like the randomness of what you will get. I don't understand the belief that they must be turned off because of their randomness.
One reason it gets brought up a lot is because high impact, low odds randomness is pretty damaging to any learning games anyone posts. Losing a game purely by a bad random roll might dissuade people from learning the best plays, while good rolls will make even poorly played games a cakewalk and reinforce nonsense. Its also likely to cause people to focus on how to take advantage of random benefits, rather than learning the basics.

The other reason is for forum participation. It seems to be a lot more likely to get more forumgoers to play in games without huts and events. Partly because it makes comparisons between games utterly pointless.

I think a CR -> Drill promoted nutcracker is an acceptable use of a great general (assuming one already has at least one supermedic that is)

Don't you mean CR -> Combat?

Rhyes and Fall of Civilization isn't a good mod.*

I think Catherine is a great ally.

Permanent alliances are awesome!

*I do like Dawn of Civilization though as it fixes most of the issues with it.

I have so many memories with RFC I just cannot hate it. Like taking all of Europe as the Turks :D

I would say so too if she didn't slap me all the time :p

I have never done a permanent alliance because I forgot to turn it on every time.

DoC is such a beautiful mod though. I always hated that you had to play as someone and wait until the 1730s for America to show up. That irked me.

I usually do drill. Would you say Combat is better?

For a nutcracker definitely. Drill is good for extremely lopsided battles, say >80% odds for one of the two combatants, if you are the one with the good odds for increasing the chance that your unit doesn't take any damage at all, if you are the one with the bad odds so you can be sure to at least make at least a little damage to your enemy.
Combat OTOH excels when the fight is fairly even to increase your chances of winning the battle.

I'm not sure how unpopular it is, but I detest tech trading. I always disable it when I start a game. It's the one constant in my game settings.

If it was that unpopular it wouldn't be an option that got implemented due to popular demand for the option. But the unpopularity of it stems from people with a 'hardcore' mindset that think turning it off makes the game too easy.

What the hay? How does turning off tech trading make anything easier? If anything it makes everything more difficult!

If it was that unpopular it wouldn't be an option that got implemented due to popular demand for the option. But the unpopularity of it stems from people with a 'hardcore' mindset that think turning it off makes the game too easy.
The bold portion is the unpopular opinion embedded in the remark.

For a nutcracker definitely. Drill is good for extremely lopsided battles, say >80% odds for one of the two combatants, if you are the one with the good odds for increasing the chance that your unit doesn't take any damage at all, if you are the one with the bad odds so you can be sure to at least make at least a little damage to your enemy.
Combat OTOH excels when the fight is fairly even to increase your chances of winning the battle.

Makes sense, to be honest it doesn't happen very often but I will go with Combat next time.

Top Bottom