Unpopular Opinion Thread

My civilization is a masterpiece I craft to be pretty and magnificent:

I want my cities to be big, happy, wealthy and culturally dominant. I just finished an intense game in a tweaked 'Legends of Revolution' mod, trying to get the biggest city possible. By the time my spaceship reached Alpha Centauri my biggest city was at size 44 (39,964,000 inhabitants--that's more than all the urban agglomeration of Tokyo) and my empire was at 409 million inhabitants. I just needed to get more future techs to bridge the unhealthiness gap; cultural investment and buildings providing happiness with it were my way to fill the gap of remaining happiness. I'm not using Environmentalism because it'd make my corporations too expensive to run, even though I'd get a slight happiness boost and big health boost.

such as? on noble?

build academies, rush wonders, trade missions, culture bombing, building holy shrines...

I think you get the point

Like Moai Spammer said. And I don't play on Noble.

build academies, rush wonders, trade missions, culture bombing, building holy shrines...

I do academy at capital, holy shrines if Confucianism spreading wild or settle the early GPr if it's from early SH+Oracle combo. However, others are not much of use against 12 turns of GA. Not even the trade mission attracting me nowadays. When you get 20+ cities, it's like -300 to -400 maintenance per turn w/o courthouses. And the trade mission can only finance you for like 3-4 turns.

Most likely, the GA will carry me over the dark mid age where I have most difficulty maintaining the empire and keep growing. Once i reached Communism and switch over the SP, it's all over. Well, the game is normally won by AD anyway. I was only having fun playing some huge empire.

Maybe so, but I can think of better things to do with Great People.

I wish I could, I often end up with 4 or 5 sitting around at the end of the game because I couldn't decide what to do with them. They seem too important to not use well, so I don't use them at all.

I wish I could, I often end up with 4 or 5 sitting around at the end of the game because I couldn't decide what to do with them. They seem too important to not use well, so I don't use them at all.

:lol: I know that feel.

yeah. i may use them to pop a tech if i'm winning next turn. but sometimes, they simply have nothing to contribute. :(

I LOVE global warming.

If anything, I would like to see it more powerful, destroying resources and all, forcing players to wage deadly apocalyptic wars to secure the last remaining resources while the people of the world die by the millions in starving cities :)

I'm with You ! :goodjob: except I do specialize cities ;) I forgot to mention first time I was posting that I do love forests too and I always leave a few for aesthetics ! Can't bear to look on a barren landscape (without trees) ! ;) It's so ... unsightly :D I wish there was a city improvement (like a park or something) that adds a few trees to the city view here and there and perhaps a little health bonus :)
I did write 'rarely'... sometimes the location of the city is so... 'unique', that I had to specialize that city.

But most of the time, I just build everything :D

EtA: Yeah! 'Garden'/'Park' improvements! Oh, how I wish someone can code that as a mod... and integrate that into K-Mod :scan:

Same! Apparently, this opinion is not that unpopular ;)

Hahahaha, I know... I know... nearing the end of a game, when it's clear I'm going to win one way or another, I popped a GA, or send them to the New World to Do Good Things™.

Most games I like to use Serfdom for a good while in the middle. And I play a lot of parts according to flavor or historical reasons, like playing as Arabia have to convert to Islam at some point if you can, or don't like to mix certain civics like Police State and Free Speech, or Slavery and Free Speech, etc. Sometimes I think I switch into Serfdom just because its the Middle Ages and it just seems like the cool thing to do. So I alter my play style accordingly by settling a bunch of jungle cities and chopping everything in sight.

GAs can be a good way to generate more GPs fast. GA means +100% GP generation and with the free civic switch it's easy to switch to caste+ pacifism.

And anyway with a strong and large late-game empire GA bonuses are likely worth more than the other uses.

I like to cottage my grass hills and plains flatlands in commercial cities.

Cottaging those in your commmercial cities is fine, though you should be picking sites for commercial cities such that those are at a minimum. Also, grasshills are usually at a rpremium on most maps, so you don't want to be throwing them away.

If you can't beat Deity your opinion doesn't count.

Please tell me that's just undetectable sarcasm. If not, that's just inappropriate and rude. It's actually somewhat related to a common them I'm seeing in this thread, which are people playing at lower levels due to the way they want to play. I, for example, play on Monarch even though I could play at higher levels (and I have) because I like building a few wonders, I like cities full of buildings, and for whatever reason a game just feels like it's missing something if I don't build Stonehenge, Oracle, and found Christianity.

Moderator Action: Please read the thread title. Think he is saying that this is an example of an unpopular opinion.

It's a game, not work. You play games to have fun. If making the game as challenging as possible, always having to be prepared for what a more powerful or advanced AI might do is what you consider fun, then Deity is for you. If popping settlers from huts, building massive empires, and building every wonder in the game without ever having to worry about the AI declaring war on you is fun, then Settler is for you. One of the great things about this game is that there are so many different levels, so that everyone has a level that suits their combination of ability and preferred playstyle.

This was indeed intended as an unpopular opinion (and it seems to have worked ;))

Perhaps you need to have read more of pigswill's post to be able to detect his intent. I thought it was clear.

I often build monuments first--even with writing. The quicker border pops often justify building a monument first.

Top Bottom