Any way to add options to the 'custom game' screen?

ShiVvV

Warlord
This thread should probably have been started in "Creation & Customization" subforum but as I am completely coding and modding illiterate, I felt my presence there might offend some sensibilities :).

So, here's what I wish we could do when starting a custom game.
When picking a random leader/civ, I wish there were a way to filter the possibilities based on:
1) pre-selecting one or even both leader traits
2) pre-selecting one or even both starting techs

I have no idea how easy/difficult this would be to implement, but...just a thought.

Can you explain your idea more literally for thickies such as myself as I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

Isn't selecting traits basically selecting your starting techs? Or are you requesting a way to select Financial/Philosophical but starting with Mysticism and Hunting? And, if so, isn't that just sticking your fingers up at the whole concept of traits in the first place?

Wouldn't it be better to just ask to be able to create a custom civ full stop?

Edit: No, wait, I get it now, you want to just have a random normal civ, but you want the random to be from a smaller pool than 'everyone'. I dunno, why don't you just personally select a civ, but select a different civ each time you play? You are capable of being a random generation device yourself you know.

snip
Edit: No, wait, I get it now, you want to just have a random normal civ, but you want the random to be from a smaller pool than 'everyone'. I dunno, why don't you just personally select a civ, but select a different civ each time you play? You are capable of being a random generation device yourself you know.

That's just the thing--I really can't be an rng. Sometimes I'd like to select civs with mining, let's say, but not care about anything else. Or, maybe be given any EXP leader. Just a way to filter for a desired characteristic but still have some surprise factor.

I've just had the most marvelous idea :clap:

You could write the names of all the civs on a small piece of paper, noting on each all their traits and etc.

When you start a game and get to the civ selection stage, you could place all the corresponding pieces of paper into a hat and then pick one out at random!

It's changing the place in the process when you get your surprise, so it's not 100%, but it's certainly a passable workaround :)

I've just had the most marvelous idea :clap:

You could write the names of all the civs on a small piece of paper, noting on each all their traits and etc.

When you start a game and get to the civ selection stage, you could place all the corresponding pieces of paper into a hat and then pick one out at random!

It's changing the place in the process when you get your surprise, so it's not 100%, but it's certainly a passable workaround :)

Haha! That is so just about my speed that it just might work! Occam's razor rides again.
We don't need no stinkin' modders!

So you don't need us, is that it? Well, I might just not answer your original question...

(Lemon's foot goes tap...tap...tap...) :p

Oh all right. It probably could be done by some of the intrepid modders here. I don't think it would be easy, though.

So you don't need us, is that it? Well, I might just not answer your original question...

(Lemon's foot goes tap...tap...tap...) :p

Oh all right. It probably could be done by some of the intrepid modders here. I don't think it would be easy, though.

:cry:Nooooo, LM. Please don't take my sunshine away! BTW, I can't wait to fire up BAT 4.2 on my new shiny gaming laptop.

I agree that making the selection outside of the game would be much simpler than a mod. If you're choosing from the standard civilizations, the leader picker would be the best way to get your list of options. From there, you can provide your own random selection with a coin toss/dice roll/online random number generator.

@1984++
Yes, I use the leader picker quite a bit. I just never thought about combining it with an rng. In retrospect, this is probably a thread that would have best lain kicking about in my head :crazyeye:
Still, would have been nice if that functionality would've been available out of the box.

Only if you pick both traits. Picking one trait just makes it "semi random."

Top Bottom