Constant OOS in multiplayer?

fuzzy_bunnies

Prince
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but its more specifically Conquests related.

I've been trying to play a 2 player simultaneous moves game with a friend of mine and every time we play we eventually give up because we start getting Out of Synch messages EVERY TURN and have to reload the autosave. Of course this screws some stuff up as it looks like CPU opponents sometimes get their attacks pre-empted etc, and if the OOS happens before I get to choose a new gov't I'm stuck in Anarchy.

We have yet to finish a game, we played a fair amount in PTW, then upgraded to C3C when it came out, but all the OOS errors game after game pretty much cut that short. After installing 1.22 we gave it another try and got a persistent OOS error very early in the game.

Whats up with all the OOS errors? Anyone know if theres a way around it? Someone mentioned in this forum sticking to 1.27f PTW, is that a lot more stable for OOS? (its been at least 6 mo's since playing PTW so I forget).

TIA

So I decided to cover my bases and both me and my friend did a fresh install: Civ3 first, then C3C then the 1.22 patch only, then updated gamespy.... and we just got our first OOS.

Does this happen a lot to anyone else?? Even if you don't have a solution....

It should really be in the bug reports thread. What were you doing before the OOS? Upload a save just before the OOS occurs (especially from all players).

Heres the thing, we have yet to finish a game because of all the OOS's (and we've literally played probably 50 games) and we're never doing the same thing before the OOS, it just seems random or something that the AI is doing thats causing it.

fuzzy_bunnies said:
So I decided to cover my bases and both me and my friend did a fresh install: Civ3 first, then C3C then the 1.22 patch only, then updated gamespy.... and we just got our first OOS.

Does this happen a lot to anyone else?? Even if you don't have a solution....

It happens, i wouldn't say alot but I had 2 in a 6 :eek: hour session a month ago, just reloaded from autos, but had none in 3 hours tonight (on a LAN)

Do people load from the resynch save then? or the autosave? or the autosave of the turn before? It seems like the autosave is the same as the resynch save (which sometimes appears to miss stuff like enemy movements etc).

We have been experiencing the same problem, and it doesnt seem to matter whether we load from resynch or the autosave from just before the OOS. It happens most often for us in the first or second turn of the game, but that may just be particular to us.
Some of the things we have done that seem to lessen the occurences are:
1. Have both players run the game from a clean boot
2. Since we play on our home LAN, we disable the internet before starting a game.

I dont know if either of these things will help you, but it is worth a try.

The weird thing is, we used to (back when PTW first came out) play until the modern age at least before we had recurring OOS all the time. Now, fully patched, we rarely ever get past the medieval age. This happens if we play either PTW or Conquests patched.

It never happens in the first or second turn, usually much later... end of the first age or the 2nd age.

We play over the net so turning that off is impossible... but we've tried both internet and direct connect which doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Normally I'd just chalk this up to bad luck/more unpatched bugs, but no one else seems to have this problem (at this later stage of the game, usually seems to happen at the very beginning for others)

Please upload the save on the turn just before the OOS occurs. Saying "we get more OOSs at the start of the game" doesn't give Firaxis much to go on in fixing that OOS. They need details, and a game save.

I'll try to find a recurring OOS autosave and send it in. Although I think I might have an idea what could be causing it.

Normally we play 2 humans and 6 CPUs simul. Yesterday we tried 2 vs 3 and got no OOS until I tried bombing a stack of units that my friend was attacking at the same time. Assuming that caused the OOS during my turn, that might explain at least some of the OOS that happen during the comp's turn since they like to bombard everything and attack at the same time... plus 6 cpus will have a higher chance of doing this than 3 cpus.

I'll have to try and keep an eye out for another recurring OOS and save it.

Ok, well, after another 1/2 dozen games, it seems that the fewer the number of CPU players that are in the game, the less chance there is for an OOS. At 3 CPU's we got 7-8 hrs in until we started getting a recurring OOS (oos every following turn with loading the resynch save)

The attached save is the one after which the OOS occurs.

As an additional test, we kept reloading older saves till we got before the first OOS. This time the two remaining CPUs (england and carthage) signed a peace treaty and we managed to keep playing for another 1/2 dozen turns.

The OOS should occur with the next turn in this save unless the two cpu's sign a peace treaty.

OOS Save File Here

Top Bottom