Most fun victory yet

Rpger29

Prince
I've played all the VC's now, from the beginning of the game and sometimes deciding direction mid-game.

I recently had my most fun victory ever:

Rome
Small
Great Plains (I know, it's easy)
4 civs (Spain, Incas, Germany, can't remember)
12 CS's
Marathon (again, I know, easy)
Prince

I've won a couple of cultural victories before, but most of them feel like very "close" victories. That is, I feel like I've just finished the Utopia Project right before someone else gets a Diplo or Space victory. Either that, or a runaway civ has me pressed the whole game.

This game just felt different from about 2000bc until the end. I decided pretty early that I'd go for a cultural VC since there were only 2 additional city sites near me. I went Liberty, Tradition, Piety, Patronage and Freedom (mostly finishing each branch before starting another). I actually even delayed my victory because things were going so well. I ended up building the UP around 1910, but could have built it around 1800.

Rome's UA seemed to work VERY well for this victory, even though you would think having more cities would be more beneficial. The UU's served me well in the early game when defense was a priority. Even the Legions' ability to build roads came in handy.

Many thanks to the folks on the Strategy forum for all the advice that made this one so fun.

Rome's UA seemed to work VERY well for this victory, even though you would think having more cities would be more beneficial. The UU's served me well in the early game when defense was a priority.

Could you explain why you thinx it helpt you with only 2 cities?
Still thinx having a lot of cities helps rome more

Yes clearly you receive the most benefit from having a slightly larger amount of cities. But the benefit is still amazing even in a small cultural victory where you want to limit the number of cities. Some of those late game cultural buildings can take forever - shaving a chunk off their production time lets you get back to building units or converting to wealth/research.

Nice win! :goodjob:

I've never tried Cultural Victory w/ Rome, though Culture Victory is my favorite way to win, and Rome is one of my favorite Civs. I feel Rome's unique ability is very flexible and quite strong for completing any victory condition. The Legion and Ballista are great early era units that are wonderful not only for Classical conquest but ensuring your lands are well protected. Legions can also free-up your workers from building roads and forts.

The UA from Rome is great. For a cultural victory with more cities, you could better go with france because of the +2 cult/city UA, i think. For a CV i would skip the liberty tree but the rest sounds great. You could also try Egypt, saves hammers and time from wonderbuilding and also has an early UU(allthough i prefer the Roman UU's).

Top Bottom