What is creation science?

1) Before Heaven and Earth were formed the world was dark and covered by water - thats a good description of the solar system's freeze line.
No it isn't.
2) The "Light" of creation was given a name in Genesis, its called "Day" and it was separated from the darkness which became Night. That describes a spinning world.
No it doesn't. it describes night and day.

3) Heaven is placed amidst the waters, the asteroid belt divides the solar system. But Heaven is not water, its something "firm" - its the hammered bracelet. An apt description of the asteroid belt.
:crazyeye:

4) The waters below the Heaven are gathered together to form Seas and the dry land appears - this dry land is called "Earth". Heaven and Earth are not the universe or this planet.

5) The dry land (Earth) is seeded with life, vegetation appears.

6) Heavenly luminaries are given their roles in the new sky with the Sun and Moon dominating day and night

7) Creatures fill the seas, air and dry land followed by people.

The sequence of life doesn't appear entirely consistent with current science
So it's wrong, basically. Even when you're incredibly generous with your interpretation.

I think Berserker's post is an example of the thread's question.

Start with an assumption : the Bible is pretty much correct. Then shoehorn observational evidence to support your conclusion. QED

Was the question, "What is creative science?"

Berserker misses an important point.

Nearly any random sequence of numbers will look like some things are in the proper order.

It's not magic or prescience that the 3 was before the 4 or that the 8 was before the nine. It's just the nature of random sequences. If you're astounded that some mystic got a sequence kinda right, it's the wrong instinct. As long as they generate a sequence and put it into some type of order, components of that sequence are going to look correct.

And being astounded at the correct ordering of 3, 4, 9 is even more of a mistake

Granted 123465789 is kind of impressive. And 987654321 would be the RedRum of mystical abilities. But, the point stands.

If I were to say what I believe, it would be that there is only one God. I already said that it does not matter what has been written or not.
Why does it not matter?

Because I have my own experiences.

I think Berserker's post is an example of the thread's question.

Start with an assumption : the Bible is pretty much correct. Then shoehorn observational evidence to support your conclusion. QED

Here's you and your like.
Start with an assumption that there is no God and shoehorn any observation that supports your conclusion.

I mean the Big Bang is the biggest assumption made. When there is evidence that contradicts it, just make an ad hoc solution. I mean inflation is a great example, because it means that all laws of physics had to be working in reverse for a time period tat we don't know how it started or it finished.

Well I just lost a long reply that took me about 20 mintues to write. Crap.

c_h: What's all the evidence against the Big Bang Theory? You mention Inflation, but you can't be serious. There's observational evidence confirmed by multiple lines of evidence supporting that. That's not an ad hoc solution at all.

So what's the evidence against the Big Bang?

I mean the Big Bang is the biggest assumption made..
No it's a hypothesis based upon the evidence.

When there is evidence that contradicts it, just make an ad hoc solution. I mean inflation is a great example, because it means that all laws of physics had to be working in reverse for a time period tat we don't know how it started or it finished.
Don't be silly. Inflation is required to explain the evidence.

Well I just lost a long reply that took me about 20 mintues to write. Crap.

Get the Lazarus plug-in. There's no reason not to have it. :)

I mean inflation is a great example, because it means that all laws of physics had to be working in reverse for a time period tat we don't know how it started or it finished.

As opposed to the laws of physics and biology simply working entirely differently to allow for the stories of the Genesis patriarchs to be accurate history, right?

Start with an assumption that there is no God and shoehorn any observation that supports your conclusion.

You seem to think that evidence for 6-day creation would be evidence for the existence of the Christian God.

I mean the Big Bang is the biggest assumption made. When there is evidence that contradicts it, just make an ad hoc solution. I mean inflation is a great example, because it means that all laws of physics had to be working in reverse for a time period tat we don't know how it started or it finished.
I just realized something ironic - how often we see science doubters trot out lists of famous scientists who were believers, as if that somehow invalidates the science. And here you're saying that our assumption is that there isn't a god??

Quite the contrary - the fact that I don't believe in a god is not a starting assumption. I was a believer for many years, until I started to realize that there's no way the bible could all be true and be consistent with what I was learning in school. My lack of belief is a consequence, not an assumption.

But that's irrelevant.

EDIT: just came across a great post by one of my favorite science bloggers. He takes a critical look at common arguments against the big bang.
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/08/09/why-the-big-bang-wont-work-won/

He also has another post called "how sure are we that the big bang is correct?" (note that this post is 5 years old and some of the stuff he mentions is out-of-date)

Start with an assumption that there is no God Genesis is correct and shoehorn any observation that supports your conclusion.

It is deeply ironic that I can change just four words in your quote and thus describe the entire 'creation science' movement. Essentially, you are attacking Berserker's assorted idiosyncracies for precisely the same thing that you do.

The laws of physics have been based on observation. It has already been proven that, for instance, in quantum physics these laws seem not to work 'as they should': a new observation.

As to your original assumption: whether there is or is not a God has no effect on the laws of physics. Which is as it should be, since scientifically speaking God is an unknowable and indeterminable variable.

The opposition of my opposition should not offer an opposition?

Top Bottom