Can't Get Teleportation To Work

Commodore

Deity
I am working on having teleporting units for my Warhammer 40K mod and I can't seem to get it to work. I have units with the teleportable flag checked and I have selected legal telepads for them to use. I have also made sure the unit to be teleported is within half of the telepad's range. Despite all that the units I designate as teleportable do not get the teleport button in their unit commands.

Is there something I'm missing here? I'd really like to figure this out so I don't have to cut this feature out of the mod.

I was playing around with this in my editor recently, and it is a bit tricky to get it right. As I recall, the following is required, with one of the two options. I've used the option names from the cracked editor below:

1. Unit telepads to building

- The building must have "Acts as General Telepad" checked
- The unit must have the "Teleportable" special order checked

2. Units to units telepad

- Same, except the receiving unit must have "Telepad" checked, and the range must be sufficient.
- The telepad unit must also have more than one hitpoint remaining, as the telepad loses a hitpoint when a unit teleports to it.

Testing it quickly, I was able to get archers to telepad to barracks (created with the cracked editor). I've attached the BIQ in case it may prove helpful. If need be, I can upload a file with unit-to-unit teleporting as well.

I was playing around with this in my editor recently, and it is a bit tricky to get it right. As I recall, the following is required, with one of the two options. I've used the option names from the cracked editor below:

1. Unit telepads to building

- The building must have "Acts as General Telepad" checked
- The unit must have the "Teleportable" special order checked
- The unit must have at least 2 hitpoints (since teleporting costs a hitpoint). If it's a zero-strength unit, it must still have at least 2 hitpoints, as teleporting still costs a (non-visible) hitpoint.

2. Units to units telepad

- Same, except the receiving unit must have "Telepad" checked, and the range must be sufficient.

Testing it quickly, I was able to get archers to telepad to barracks (created with the cracked editor). I've attached the BIQ in case it may prove helpful. If need be, I can upload a file with unit-to-unit teleporting as well.

Thanks. It would be great if you could post unit to unit teleportation since that is what I am trying to achieve.

Do you have any tips on how to get it to work though? As of right now the action button for the unit to teleport doesn't show up as an available action when I try to playtest. I have read the thread on how to get it to work and I have done everything outlined in that thread and it still isn't working.

Do you know of any scenarios or mods that make use of teleportation so I can look it over and see what they are doing that I'm not?

EDIT: I also thought it might just be a problem with the hacked editor options not working so I tried out Charm to see if that works and it does, so it is definitely something with teleportation that I'm doing wrong or missing.

The teleported-to unit must also have a postive Telepad Range (see attached).

Edit: I'm back; here's the additional details. In the attached scenarios, Archers can teleport to Warriors. The settings, in the hacked editor, are as follows (with key ones highlighted):

Archer (teleporter)

Warrior (telepad

What I misremembered was that Operational Range != Telepad Range. I tested the posted file by building a warrior first, moving it away from the city (just to be sure it was the unit acting as the telepad), building an archer, and then teleporting the archer to the warrior.

As for the hit-point loss, it is the telepad unit only that loses a hitpoint. In unit-to-building teleportation, no hitpoint loss occurs.

I don't get it. Comparing my .biq to the one you posted, all of my settings are the same as yours, but units in my mod still will not teleport, but the units in your .biq teleport just fine. As of right now I give up on it and I am removing the teleport feature from my mod.

Okay now I'm really confused. I changed every last detail of the units I wanted to teleport and use as a telepad to match the warrior and archer in your .biq. I started up the game and it worked. My unit was able to teleport. Just to see where I went wrong I changed all the stats back to what I want them to be, doing a small playtest after every single change. I got all the way back to the way the units were before I changed the stats and the teleport still works! So now I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't working before and why it's working now. I swear there's a ghost in the editor or something that's messing with me.

Okay now I'm really confused. I changed every last detail of the units I wanted to teleport and use as a telepad to match the warrior and archer in your .biq. I started up the game and it worked. My unit was able to teleport. Just to see where I went wrong I changed all the stats back to what I want them to be, doing a small playtest after every single change. I got all the way back to the way the units were before I changed the stats and the teleport still works! So now I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't working before and why it's working now. I swear there's a ghost in the editor or something that's messing with me.

:crazyeye: That's crazy... hard to say what it is. For what it's worth, my editor also supports teleportation also displays teleportation status, and also shows the as-yet-unknown variables, so maybe it will show something the hacked one doesn't. But maybe not. I guess at least it's progress that now there's teleportation even if there's no apparent difference?

:crazyeye: That's crazy... hard to say what it is. For what it's worth, my editor also supports teleportation also displays teleportation status, and also shows the as-yet-unknown variables, so maybe it will show something the hacked one doesn't. But maybe not. I guess at least it's progress that now there's teleportation even if there's no apparent difference?

Oh man, you are gonna love what I just stumbled upon. Apparently the problem was with the Offense and Defense AI strategy flags. When I uncheck the Defense AI strategy for the telepad unit, then I can teleport units to it, but if the telepad unit has the Defense AI strategy checked, teleportation stops working.

Holy bananas my mind is spinning right now!

Oh man, you are gonna love what I just stumbled upon. Apparently the problem was with the Offense and Defense AI strategy flags. When I uncheck the Defense AI strategy for the telepad unit, then I can teleport units to it, but if the telepad unit has the Defense AI strategy checked, teleportation stops working.

In the "study on teleportation" thread this is shown in civinator's screenshot of the units tab in the editor but not mentioned in the text, afaik. It's worth posting whatever you discover over in that thread as well as here, imho. Sometimes useful, practical information on unusual flags such as teleportation is buried in threads where it can be difficult to search out.

That is totally unexpected. Who would've thought the Defensive AI strategy flag would affect teleportation? :crazyeye: I agree with Blue Monkey; putting this in the "Study on Teleportation" thread is good idea despite the necro since that thread is general the one people think of and go to when they have teleportation questions.

Who would have thought 13 years after CivIII's release we would still be discovering little quirks about it?

Interesting. I've been trying to figure out a way to have auto produced flag units with $$$ value, to be returned to the capital city using teleportation.

If you put a random flag unit somewhere on the map, the AI will capture it and return it. If you place the same inside a city it will just sit there forever. The idea is to have those auto-produced flag units be teleported outside the cities so that the AI can pick them up and return them to their capitol to get the $$$ from it.

It would be an amazing way to control or destroy an economy during war times by destroying links to the cities with the buildings that auto-produce the flag money units so that they stop creating them for the moment.

Think about it! Instead of losing +1-4 gold per turn for the loss of an 'iron', while u might still have other iron sources you will lose the auto-produced 'Iron' unit from that city's 'Forge' which is worth X amount (x=200). If it was produced every 4 turns then you just lost 50gold per turn instead of the silly 4g per turn. This would also greatly increase the value of each resource and there would be something to gain from owning multiple resources of the same type.

This would be made simpler if teleporting flag units to a capitol city would also consume them as if you were turning them in :/

Top Bottom