SGOTM 13 - One Short Straw

Okay, I moved the northern Work Boat Explorer #2 two movement points, not seeing anything interesting.

However, southern Work Boat Explorer #1 did reveal an interesting Resource. I have only moved 1 out of its 2 movement points and will wait for about 15 minutes in case anyone wants to yell at me to switch paths... but will otherwise continue on with the planned red path.

Spoiler :

EDIT: In the second screenshot, you can see the Cottage that we built. :groucho: :hide:

I would definatly go green -> red now. Shame about this cottage.

:lol:

edit: I haven't the numbers in mind, but my point is that we should check for food (other than clams) around that marble before we decide on where city 2 should go :)

I think we should definitely scout around marble island as well.

Well, I'm not sure it changes much. If we decide to settle the marble and there's seafood in its inner FC, then either way the wb will be there. My reason for the long red path was to give us as many chances to find a good first site as possible. In any case we'll be following up with another settler soon enough and the marble is useless until we research masonry.

(The long red path was anyway scheduled to scout marble island.)

Okay, I just noticed that marble island has land to the SW. All the more reason to send the wb due south, because it will have westerly access to the sw part of marble island. This is the minimum path.

I was fairly certain DS was going to give us marble. That explains the Gypsy's culture graph--Oracle.

I think we should definitely scout around marble island as well.
Following the red path, we'll get to see the Marble with time to spare...

T65 puts us south of the GFor island, T66 puts us west of it, T67 has us starting to reveal the squares around the Marble. So, if that's the primary feedback, then I see no reason to deviate from the red path.

Okay, I just noticed that marble island has land to the SW. All the more reason to send the wb due south, because it will have westerly access to the sw part of marble island. This is the minimum path.

You are right. We will want to check there anyway! red path sounds cool then :)

Okay, we went for the red path.

In the north, we found yet another Resource (a Crab).

In the south, we didn't find anything, except for the fact that there aren't any new pathways to the south (which saves us time checking again later for this possibility). There is still the chance for a connection on the western side of that GFor 1-square-island.

Spoiler :

Okay, now I have a few questions:
1. In the north, is there a good way to save time with Work Boat Explorer #2? For example, if I move it 1S, will it be able to see both hidden squares on the eastern side of the island? I am thinking that the answer is "no, the GHills Forest square will block our view of one of those squares," but I am not positive.

If that's true, then will moving Work Boat Explorer #2 1SE show both of these hidden squares? If yes, then I can skip moving around the eastern side of the island and then can head directly 1W from there, which would put us 1N of the GHills Forest square.

2. Assuming that we are still sending Work Boat Explorer #3 to the east (it is now time to move him), which direction around the eastern island would you like to proceed? I'm talking about the island shown in the third screenshot here, the one with the Plains Forest Silk square on it.

3. What's the main goal of Work Boat Explorer #3 by heading east? Is it to head as directly east as possible as quickly as possible? Is it to thoroughly explore every island along the way? Is it a mix of the two, such that we will not "cut corners" but we will also head in a relatively direct path towards the east?

Oddly enough, we didn't schedule a "pause play" action for this turn, even though Work Boat Explorer #3 has just been completed. As long as no one objects to sending WB Explorer #3 to the east, there isn't any reason to really pause except for answering question 1, but I'll also give a bit of time in case anyone wants to propose a different direction to send Work Boat Explorer #3 (say, 30 minutes before continuing play).

If I don't get any feedback in regards to question 1, then it'll take me a bit longer to continue, as I'll have to close the real game, create a test saved game, get my answer, and then continue on from the real game.

RRRaskolnikov said:
Oh boy! America has changed...
Is that due to supporting the "Reds" or due to admitting that the "Democratic voting process" is rigged, in that lobbyists often get more than their fair share of votes? ;)

1) I would say go south, but maybe I am off regarding visibility, might reread that new thread on the ST forum :D

2) I would go south because I want to know if we can put a second seafood in the same site than the clam.

3) I would keep flexibility so mix for me :)

Red joke: more the first option. I do not know enough about US political context to make jokes about it :p :mischief:

1) I think 1S will work, but I'm total idiot with these things.

2) I'd say south. Think that's the more likely way to England, given how far north we are. BTW, I was hoping we'd meet someone else in the west by now...

3) I think east. Locating Vicky asap is good if she's close enough to consider a rush of some sort. More likely we don't need to until Writing, but still... This is looking like it might not even require Optics/Astro. What do you guys think? In that case, we could potentially circumnavigate very early - early enough to make a difference in netting seafood, sending settlers, rushing...

I think WB3 should concentrate on trying to find the AI's, as Victorias WB came from the S I would send it that way, and avoid taking detours to thoroughly explore every island.

It looks like our WB's currently only have a visibility range of 1 tile, so moving the WB 1S will only reveal 1 tile to the east of the northern island (but I still think we should move it 1S).

2) I would go south because I want to know if we can put a second seafood in the same site than the clam.
Sounds reasonable. We'll still have a few turns to change our mind, of course, but yeah, partnering up another Food Resource with that Clam could make for a more viable eastern City.

3) I would keep flexibility so mix for me :)
Well, it may or may not be in your turnset where these eastern Work Boat Explorer moves take place, anyway. Again, we still have some turns remaining before we need to decide, so people will have time to weigh-in with their thoughts.

That said, has anyone given any consideration to how far I am supposed to keep playing? I'm flexible in terms of when to stop, but Turn 82 is probably the maximum that I would feel comfortable playing up until, since that's as far as we went with our testing.

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to go S-SE (or SE-S) to see the entire eastern side of Crab Island, but don't quote me on that. Just looking at the screen shots shows that the work boat can only see 1 tile in each direction across water.

EDIT: X-Post w/mdy. Do I type that slowly?

I do not know enough about US political context to make jokes about it :p :mischief:

Why not. What's the worst that could happen? You end up looking like a dumb a$$... thus confirming my opinion! :lol:

To be honest, I'm the least political person I know. My wife always gives me crap about not knowing who Secratary of X is or what Senator Y did with his young intern.

That said, has anyone given any consideration to how far I am supposed to keep playing? I'm flexible in terms of when to stop, but Turn 82 is probably the maximum that I would feel comfortable playing up until, since that's as far as we went with our testing.

I suggest playing until Settler #2 and the galley are completed. If I remember correctly, the build queue then goes LH -> Settler. With some discussion, I suppose it's possible that we could change that, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom