SCENARIO: American Civil War - C3C only

Klyden

Thankyou very much for participating in the beta testing.

Hmm, very interesting that a unit was actually lost to plague. That could be very useful if managed properly. As long a division or corps doesn't get killed off, it might be a very realistic historically accurate way to do things.

We were thinking about setting a small amount of disease to each terrain type, rather than the plague approach. I opted for plague because it was possible to be more global in approach.

I'd like to get plague one more shot in beta2 with some revised settings to decrease the effective and frequency. I'll completely remove the floodplain / marsh disease values so we can see the effect using only plague. (At the moment you get a double whammy from plague and disease on floodplain / marsh).

Could you tell me more about the Union amphibious assaults? Where were they? How many units were involved? We've had really difficulty getting the AI to do much on the naval side. Any details you could supply would be helpful.

thanks
Misfit

Misfit: Sure we can wait for a couple bugfixes. I'd rather like it if you set up the game - I'm a newbie to PBEM. Let's try the "skip first turn" option - I think it just eats the movement allowances of all your units the first turn, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Misfit_travel
Klyden

Thankyou very much for participating in the beta testing.

Hmm, very interesting that a unit was actually lost to plague. That could be very useful if managed properly. As long a division or corps doesn't get killed off, it might be a very realistic historically accurate way to do things.

We were thinking about setting a small amount of disease to each terrain type, rather than the plague approach. I opted for plague because it was possible to be more global in approach.

I'd like to get plague one more shot in beta2 with some revised settings to decrease the effective and frequency. I'll completely remove the floodplain / marsh disease values so we can see the effect using only plague. (At the moment you get a double whammy from plague and disease on floodplain / marsh).

Could you tell me more about the Union amphibious assaults? Where were they? How many units were involved? We've had really difficulty getting the AI to do much on the naval side. Any details you could supply would be helpful.

thanks
Misfit

Hi Misfit, I would like to playtest the 2nd version also and fully agree that the plague effect needs to be toned down based on my play. I may play some more on beta 1 tonite (time permitting) as Im also working on a modded game idea.

The thought occured to me that a mod (with this ACW-MAP) could be made to simulate the indian wars during westward expansion.

Several versions could simulate the conflict with each tribe. You could place key indian settlements for each tribe and the needed white-man settlements . You would need a tech tree for each civ on which I have some general ideas already.

Also did anyone give any thought to the posts I did on calvalry units?

My impression is that Cavalry power is roughly what it should be - it's suicidal to throw it into full-health infantry, but it's useful for killing off redlined units and for dealing with substandard units like homeguards and militiamen.

And should you get the chance to throw a Vet Conf Cav at a Regular Union Volunteer brigade unfortified on open terrain, you've got a 58% chance to win. I wouldn't want to see that rise.

dreadknought:

See post #148 for my response regarding cavalry. I know this was a hot button for Rocoteh and Procifica. I'm reluctant to unbalance their historical weaknesses in this conflict.

I greatly appreciate your posts and ideas. Your AI tuning suggestions have really help enhance the game experience.

I will work on beta 2 tonight. Hopefully I can get it up so everyone can move onto it.

<note to all betatesters>

Please keep track of when you advance into era 2 of the tech tree. I'd like to know the exact game date please.

Thanks
Misfit

The unit lost was a conscript rifle unit, so not a huge loss, but irratating, and I also was wondering about losing the bigger units (which could be a very big deal).

I will let the second landing take place when I get a chance to play again and let you know what lands.

The first fleet was the standard 2 warships and a transport going down the Atlantic coast. I ambushed them with 4 blockaid runners south of Elizabeth City. The second fleet is off the bay now and headed south. I suspect if it is what the AI typically does, it will pull up next to a city someplace and drop a single unit, but I will report back on that.

The transports being used are the starting two transports I am sure.

dreadknought:

See post #148 for my response regarding cavalry. I know this was a hot button for Rocoteh and Procifica. I'm reluctant to unbalance their historical weaknesses in this conflict.

I greatly appreciate your posts and ideas. Your AI tuning suggestions have really help enhance the game experience.

I will work on beta 2 tonight. Hopefully I can get it up so everyone can move onto it.

<note to all betatesters>

Please keep track of when you advance into era 2 of the tech tree. I'd like to know the exact game date please.

Thanks
Misfit

Ok , thats fine on the calvarly realizing the ai will never build that without a auto-build due to better unit available logic.

I missed post 148 somehow so Im caught up now and feel good about the direction of things.

On beta 2 I will carefully monitor the era advancements dates.

I guess my biggest point point goes to the ai needing builds and maybe even the human player to force the use of lesser units and we can work on that as the betas progress. This also really helps the ai compete (quicker unit builds) and forces the human player to adjust. This would really be effective to keep an inflow of volunteer-draftee- forces, that I would not allow to upgrade. However, even without these builds the game will be fun and addictive.

The ai could be given some artillery builds also, however, it still wont use them as we do but will defend with them.

ALL-IN-ALL everything looks good to me, and thinks for the kind remarks.:) . I will continue to try and help as I can.

ACWC3C beta2 fix files

Install Instructions:

- extract files

- move ACWC3C v4.0 beta2.biq to CIVIII/CONQUESTS/SCENARIOS folder

- move pediaicons.txt file to CIVIII/CONQUESTS/SCENARIOS/ACWC3C folder (replacing existing PediaIcons.txt file)

Bug fixes:

- CSA Gulf Monitors replaced with Blockade Runners
- Intelligency Agency Wonder causes game crash

Features:

- reduced Plague incidents
- removed disease from floodplains / marsh
- removed Banks from Union City Size 2 cities (to help reduce Union money surplus)
- tweaked free supported units downward for both CSA & Union

Please note that the removal of some Banks and increased unit cost has a minor game start effect but should have a bigger effect as the game advances.

Regards
Misfit

I'll update Post #2 with the new patch, but I don't want to do a full build because that would be another 22mb upload (which I would need ThunderFall to give me FTP access for again).

I want to hold off on a complete build until I scare up some new artwork for garrison (and hopefully) militia units.

Misfit

I'll update Post #2 with the new patch, but I don't want to do a full build because that would be another 22mb upload (which I would need ThunderFall to give me FTP access for again).

I want to hold off on a complete build until I scare up some new artwork for garrison (and hopefully) militia units.

Misfit

Sounds good , I am downloading and will post on it tom. as soon as possible........dread

Ok Im on the first turn stuff. I noticed you changed the intro. write-up on it which looks good to me.

I will be more brief this time putting my focus on the research time-line. I will put the exact date I start each research item and and I not going to comment on units this time unless something really stands out except to note relative ai patterns and strengh......dread...........look for first results later tonite

***A quick update*** it look like intelligence agency is set to builds with 1 shield----- where you were checking it most likely

reserved for research dates-----testing

WEEK-28 1861-infantry tactics (6 turns at 20 percent science) 487 gold per turn

WEEK 34 1861-advanced culture (6 turns at 20 percent science) 521 gold per turn

Week 40 1861-higher learning (6 turns at 30 percent science) 517 gold per turn

Week 46 1861-Calvalry tactics (6 turns at 20percent)720 gold per turn

Bad news .....Beta 2 crashed aftre buiding intelligence agency in turn 2.......sorry......dread......will try without building it

Did you get a "WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Intelligence_Agency" missing from PediaIcon.txt error?

Did you copy the new PediaIcon.txt file from the beta2 into the ACWC3C/text folder? This error will only be fixed by replacing this file with the new one.

Misfit

Did you get a "WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Intelligence_Agency" missing from PediaIcon.txt error?

Did you copy the new PediaIcon.txt file from the beta2 into the ACWC3C/text folder? This error will only be fixed by replacing this file with the new one.

Misfit

Ok , Ill look into that......also I have noticed that divisions have a bombard range of 1 (the named divisions ) is this correct? The ai wont use this so its a human advantage.

I am going on with the current game w/o the int agency to avoid turn 1 again for now.

V3.8 and V3.9 also had named divisions with a bombard range of 1. This hasn't changed in v4.0. I don't recall discussing that we should change it, although there was some discussion about lowering the artillery values for the division units somewhat.

Misfit

V3.8 and V3.9 also had named divisions with a bombard range of 1. This hasn't changed in v4.0. I don't recall discussing that we should change it, although there was some discussion about lowering the artillery values for the division units somewhat.

Misfit

I see. Well Im strongly against giving extra advantage to human units when the ai cannot defend against this tactic but I will defer to your judgement. It serves as extra human artillery against the ai when they dont use artillery well already.

***posting timeline updates on my reserved thread as I go***

GAME NOTE----AT week 40 have lost 3 units to diease effect-----
The last being penn. calvarly......

Up to week 46 now and have lost 6 units 2 disease. Last 2 were Chicago homeguard and eastern Kentucky battery.

Southern forces are surprising quiet to me though Im moving slowly but so far its a blast.

***updates continue on my reserved thread on the tech times***

Well I hit another pedialcon error (ironworks) at week 48 so I will have to stop and load in the new file.

After I put that file in the ACWC3C text folder the old and new file are both in there. Is this ok? Or should I delete the old file?

Thx.......dread

DL'd beta2. Unfortunately didn't really get any time to try out beta1.

We have discussed removing the offensive bombard from Divisions - might have been in the ACW2 thread. IIRC, Procifica wanted it removed. Personally, I still consider it almost useless, but Klyden clearly isn't agreeing. If its uselessness is only due to some idiosyncracy of my playing-style, we should perhaps remove it to even the field vis-a-vis the AI.

On a technical point, it would have been easier to install the thing if the PediaIcons.txt had been in a Acwc3c\Text folder. Very minor, but would have saved me some moving around of files.

Top Bottom