College Football In Season Thread

Arkansas-Bama is a heck of a game right now, I might just be stuck watching that now until later into the afternoon, and who knows what if it's still really close and down to the wire.

I was really tempted to pick Arkansas but I thought Alabama would pull away in the end. We'll see. As it stands, Alabama is lucky to be down 10.

Arkansas-Bama is a heck of a game right now, I might just be stuck watching that now until later into the afternoon, and who knows what if it's still really close and down to the wire.

Texas is losing too. Two really interesting games going on. Still 2 quarters to play, so we'll see.

Heh wow just saw that, I'd been keeping vague tabs on Stanford on NBC but totally didn't expect that. And Temple, Temple hanging up there with Penn State! crazy

Heh wow just saw that, I'd been keeping vague tabs on Stanford on NBC but totally didn't expect that. And Temple, Temple hanging up there with Penn State! crazy

Temple wouldn't surprise me too much. Al Golden is a really good coach, and has built a very competitive team over the last few years. Consider, this was a team the Big East kicked out and hadn't seen a bowl for 30 years.

Alabama letting that 4th-and-1 convert was an awesome moment.

Before From pops in and congratulates us on beating Eastern Michigan... did Pryor just catch a TD? Why are we running trick plays against MAC teams? I mean, I like the 6 TDs (4 passing, 1 reception, 1 rush) but he really should be on the bench at this point....

Because Eastern had just scored, and we needed to smash them again.

I LOVED pryor in this game, but this also showed that we still have stuff to work on...

Because Eastern had just scored, and we needed to smash them again.

I LOVED pryor in this game, but this also showed that we still have stuff to work on...

I should just suck it up and order BTN.

Oh and... well I expected Alabama to win this, but Mallet just undid whatever magic I thought he had.

Hopefully Azale is okay after that Texas loss. :eek:

Good luck to them next week against Oklahoma.

Oh, I'm fine. I don't know if I've said this before, but the whole Vince Young epoch put me in an Era of Good Feelings that should last another 5 years :p This Gilbert guy is not very good though. The whole offense just makes too many mistakes and they're not nearly good enough to overcome them.

Oklahoma is not exactly tearing things up either. Next week will be the battle of who gets to lose to Nebraska in the Big 12 championship game.

For the record I agree Nebraska probably stands a ways greatest probability of winning the Big12 title game. The problem there being if they go undefeated or cause other BCS havoc (unless we see a Bama/Oregon/Ohio St. loss etc...)

And Texas probably won't even drop to unranked till after a third loss, so they'll still be all right on the season.

I never call the right upsets either. Maybe Boise still goes down though, that would be great, SEC will be bloodbath in the future anyway so not that critical this week.

Before From pops in and congratulates us on beating Eastern Michigan.
Yeah. That was another close game against two evenly matched opponents. :goodjob:

OTOH the Bama / Arkansas game was a real jewel. I thought Arkansas was going to knock them off. Too bad there aren't more evenly matched games like that worth watching each week. SC against Auburn may turn out to be another one. So far so good.

NC State clobbered my alma mater Ga Tech at home. They seem to be the team to watch in the ACC this year. Their QB was really impressive.

And didn't UCLA embarrass Texas? I didn't see any of that game, but it looks like they are highly overrated this year.

Only if UVA could play VMI every week. :(

I dunno, I think I'd die of boredom. There's really no reason to schedule them at all. It's a particularly egregious error this year since we already had Richmond on the slate, but in general VMI is just too awful to be worth playing.

I dunno, I think I'd die of boredom. There's really no reason to schedule them at all. It's a particularly egregious error this year since we already had Richmond on the slate, but in general VMI is just too awful to be worth playing.

At least a decent foe, FSU, is coming to town next week.

In general the next three weeks are key: FSU, @GT, UNC.

Yeah. That was another close game against two evenly matched opponents. :goodjob:

Yeah, and because of the way the Big Ten slate ended up, it'll be another 3 weeks before we play another good football team (At Wisconsin), although I think Indiana could be feisty. Their defense sucks, but Ben Chappel is one of the best QBs in the conference.

I think the Hoosiers beat Michigan this year.

It's okay Forma. Someday your alma mater will grow up and beat their cupcakes.

Someday there may even be a playoff system instead of this BCS crap...oh wait no there won't.

EDIT - I am only going to pay attention to CBS Sports rankings from now on since they seem to actually factor all the crap in to get a clearer picture.

CBS Sports rankings are still pretty bad though... Sure they put Texas way down low this week but that doesn't excuse way overranking/underranking other teams, I'm not that cruel. (Auburn? Michigan?? Utah a little high? and on the low side we have Stanford, LSU by FAR, Miami, etc....)

I'm waiting to see the polls today and I do agree there's a high chance they get things totally screwed up. Here's more along the lines of what I'd like to see.
Spoiler nothing official, to be clear, just Earthling :

1Alabama
2OhioSt
3Boise
4TCU
5Oregon
6LSU
7Stanford
8Nebraska
9Oklahoma
10Wisconsin
11Auburn
12Utah
13Arkansas
14Florida
15Miami
16Arizona
17USC
18South Carolina
19Iowa
20Texas
21Michigan
22Michigan St
23NC State
24Nevada
25Penn State

Specific Teams:
Florida- will be way overrated by the pollsters, but should lose the next two weeks and settle into their mid-teen position the rest of the way. I'd say they're only about the 4th best team in the SEC, behind Bama, LSU, then Arkansas or Auburn. Overall the SEC will be far overrated this year

Texas - should fall into the high teens if not further, but I won't be surprised if they don't. I'd think putting them behind the Iowa/Arizona/South Carolina pack sounds about right.

Top five - actually pretty good, Boise and TCU can't be moved in much fairness unless they lose which probably won't happen so they both have good runs the rest of the season

Stanford - should move WAY up. I could see them at 6 or 7. At least ahead of Florida and the rest of that SEC pack, and I'd place them ahead of Oklahoma/Nebraska too right now. I predict the pollsters won't move Stanford up nearly as much as they should though. Either way Stanford should have a good showing against Oregon next week though and then if they win Stanford should move up quite high for real, they couldn't deny it then.

Other top 20 teams - just bump up a few slots as everyone who didn't fall shifts up. South Carolina down a few more and Auburn up - basically switch em, and then everyone like Miami, Michigan, Utah, etc... just slide up as people who lost and are out fall.

New teams to the top 25 - NC State should be in. Florida State I'd give one more week to win again before they are back. Nevada is a close call; Missouri or Kansas State, Air Force or Clemson are teams I think could be top 25 by season's end but the pollsters never vote enough on a team's actual quality - till they get a few more wins these are probably not in yet.

Regardless this next week should be the best by far, many many games that ought to be awesome and quite close and give us a picture of what's really going to be this season.

edit: well, polls actually out now and I must say I'm impressed with the AP this week, looks really good on the whole and any minor differences you always see get resolved over time as we see more teams perform. Coaches are still a little off/biased but that's always the case.

Here is the new poll:

1 Alabama (57) 4-0 1496 1
2 Ohio State (2) 4-0 1431 2
3 Boise State (1) 3-0 1356 3
4 Oregon 4-0 1276 5
5 TCU 4-0 1269 4
6 Nebraska 4-0 1158 6
7 Florida 4-0 1132 9
8 Oklahoma 4-0 1095 8
9 Stanford 4-0 891 16
10 Auburn 4-0 858 17
11 Wisconsin 4-0 852 11
12 LSU 4-0 804 15
13 Utah 4-0 790 13
14 Arizona 4-0 722 14
15 Arkansas 3-1 721 10
16 Miami (FL) 2-1 597 19
17 Iowa 3-1 503 18
18 USC 4-0 466 20
19 South Carolina 3-1 406 12
20 Michigan 4-0 396 21
21 Texas 3-1 374 7
22 Penn State 3-1 199 23
23 North Carolina State 4-0 163 NR
24 Michigan State 4-0 146 25
25 Nevada 4-0 120 NR

WVU, Florida State, Missouri, Air Force and Kansas State are your top 5 looking in.

Color me impressed so far with Nevada (whooping Cal, then dominating IN Provo, which no matter how bad BYU is, isn't an easy feat), NC State and Stanford. I'm unimpressed with LSU (who has looked bad in every one of their wins, and should get waxed by 'Bama), South Carolina (they do this every year) and Penn State.

Top Bottom