FfH2 0.31 Changelog

No need for cottages if I can just make all my captured elephants squat to form an Ivory resource. The spamming of elephants is out of perportion. I disagree with the earlier post about the elephants being strong enough to survive. If that were the case, the elephants would have exp. I am just seeing a lot of elephants spawn, and almost none of the useful animals.

The elephants wouldnt have XP if they were too strong for anyone to attack! You only get XP from successful attacks (cant be done) and defenses (are not performed as AI scouts see a 2.5% chance and leave them be).

I can't think of one fantasy book about domesticating wild elephants.

As above - battle of Minas Tirith.

To be fair, weren't those actually Oliphants, not elephants? It does describe them as being several times larger than elephants in the real world, although I don't recall whether they were supposed to have extra tusks or not like in the movie (which really wasn't very true to the book).

The reason you only ever seen/heard about Domesticated Elephants in a Fantasy setting once before (Oliphants fits well enough) is because no civ in any of the other fantasy settings ever reached that high in the techtree. ;)

...but the books were not about the elephants. Elephants were not central to the plot of LOTR, and the books would have been just as good with some other creature inserted there.

There are numerous examples of wolves, bears, lions, etc. being the central theme to the plot of the book (or at least a major subplot that is intregal to the overall theme of the book).

Fantasy literature aside, the roving elephants in the mod are just added clutter right now. They do not add any useful benefit, and the mod would be much better if a more useful animal spawned instead. There are already wolves, lions, tigers, bears, and apes. Five animals units is plenty. Tack on Giant Spiders and the Super Apes (which I still havn't sen climbing buildings and swatting at biplanes ;) ) and you have a multitude of wild creatures in the mod already. The animals already disappear way too fast with the spread of civilization. Having a useless addition that spawns instead of that last animal that you need for your carnival is frustrating.

IMHO, Elephants would be a good candidate for removal in the next patch.

... the roving elephants in the mod are just added clutter right now. They do not add any useful benefit, and the mod would be much better if a more useful animal spawned instead.
Personally then I find captured Elephants excellent for blocking off parts of my borders to discourage my enemies going that way (read: herding my enemies to where I want to jump and slaughter them) :)

That being said then some of the previously suggested expansions to the Elephant abilities would be a good idea.

IMHO, Elephants would be a good candidate for removal in the next patch.
IMHO, not a very constructive suggestion - but if you really hate them that much then why not just prevent them from spawning by removing all their NativeTerrains in the XML?

Please, please make the Guardsman promotion only work against Marskmen units ! Either way just remove it, since it's more a downside than a benefit !

Maybe not the next patch, but I suspect eventually they'll be cut as clutter. I'd recommend it anyway. They're basically just "lose a turn if you wanted to move to this space" units at the moment, imo.

not just that. They are, more specifically, "don't let another -useful- animal spawn cos there is already this elephant here, and will be here for a looong time".

What if killing an elephant gave you a food bonus in your nearest city? +50 :food: to your city stockpile would be good motivation to hunt them down, right?

I not planning to release another patch anytime soon unless something major crops up.

I hate to repeat myself, but I think there still are MAJOR outstanding issues. Luchuirp is currently unplayable (unless the patch note "9. Fixed an issue that caused the AI to sometimes destroy equipment instead of capturing it." really fixed the issue with Barnaxus--no time to test right now, but what I observed was definitely not "sometimes" but "always") and the Elohim world spell is still broken in such a way that it makes Elohim completely unattackable in multiplayer (in short: the spell can be resisted. Especially heroes have a chance to resist the spell. Resisting the spell means the unit is LOCKED inside Elohim lands for the full 30 turns, cannot attack or move at all, and is basically a sitting duck for the Elohim to kill. Clearly this is not working as intended, and instead of the bug making the spell weaker it makes it quite insanely strong.).

I hate to repeat myself, but I think there still are MAJOR outstanding issues. Luchuirp is currently unplayable (unless the patch note "9. Fixed an issue that caused the AI to sometimes destroy equipment instead of capturing it." really fixed the issue with Barnaxus--no time to test right now, but what I observed was definitely not "sometimes" but "always") and the Elohim world spell is still broken in such a way that it makes Elohim completely unattackable in multiplayer (in short: the spell can be resisted. Especially heroes have a chance to resist the spell. Resisting the spell means the unit is LOCKED inside Elohim lands for the full 30 turns, cannot attack or move at all, and is basically a sitting duck for the Elohim to kill. Clearly this is not working as intended, and instead of the bug making the spell weaker it makes it quite insanely strong.).

I havent encountered any situation where the AI doesnt capture equipment with the latest patch. But I do know that equipment (even the pieces of barnaxus) was sometimes capturable before as thats what I tested with.

As for the Sanctuary spell it isnt resistable. Thats not to say there isn't something thats keeping those units from being bounced out of your borders, but it isnt spell resistance. I would need a save game from before sanctuary was cast where the units werent bounced out to fix it.

Kael units aren't bounched off at all I think. What's for sure, they aren't bounched off if you have open borders with Elohim. Note that you cannot enter their lands even if you aren't at war with them (this is patch F, but I think it didn't change, did it ?).

Haven't looked at the code, but forcing it to end their open borders agreements before booting the units out might work. Of course, that gives the spell a significant downside which may or may not be desirable.

Yeah like killing your economy by spontaneously ending all your trade lo.l.

At this point, the spell needs a downside, otherwise it is far and away the best worldspell for MP or high-level agg ai games.

I not planning to release another patch anytime soon unless something major crops up.

Im probably going to wrap this as a patch Monday or Tuesday. That Kuriotate problem causes CtD's and thats the sort of major issue I was talking about.

Top Bottom