We´re not all barbarians

Good job, more so on actually kicking this off. :p

I'm up right?

So where do we settle? C is of course best spot, but I assume ABD are options to keep Seoul (1E of fish) open? We could settle C and settle on silk. I assume new cities need a monument asap.

We grow in 6 turns to size 2, if we improve other sheep and work it in 10 turns to size 3. At size 3 we could spam settlers really well with both sheep and the horses, just wonder if for sheer speed getting out next settler at size 2 would be better.

BW next seems obvious.

Its between B and C. B gets us a bit more production but a bit more overlap with northern deer city. My initial inclination was for B but I'd not have a problem with C if that's the majority decision.

I agree that BW is the obvious one but I'm also thinking about writing>BW so we can get libraries built a bit earlier so we can have some research going while rexing imperiously.

my 2 cents:
The placement of next town is dependent of other settlings.
Do we settle in Seoul?
seoul will not be a good spot until a long time due to japan culture.
And if we don't settle in seoul, there is no reason not to take spot C.
If we plan to settle in seoul in the end, then we have to chose spots A, B or D.

My sugestion is to forget Seoul and go for C

after that, build another city and stop until economy goes up a bit. (a fourth city means a 40% rate research)

for research, in the 2 different starts i tried, i was stuck with nothing to build after a short time. Therefore, i sugest to go writing > Alphabet pretty quickly.

I'd still go BW first (new city begs to be whipped), but do like writing after that, possibly with fishing squeezed in. And maybe pottery too?

Regarding Seoul, it shouldn't be too hard to control our first ring vs Japan's third ring, no? Especially if we get a lib here relatively soon.

Its a bit further ahead but I'd go BW>writing>HbR, aim to get a chariot out and go meet the rest of the old world coz HbR is good trade bait (including alphabet) and keshiks will be seriously useful to counter the barbarian influx after 1000bc or so.

my point was : if you have nothing to build, what's the point to whip?

As we can't build infinite settlers (we don't want to crash your economy that early),
as we have no wonder to build (wrong starting science, no stone, no marble)
as there is no metal in the area
and as we can't rush anyone
->I don't see the point to go for bronze working.

btw: isn't slavery a barbarian behaviour?

Can't argue your last point, but I'd like to whip monuments rather soon in new cities. Followed by granaries (if we go pot) and libraries with possibly workers/settlers mixed in. Also a workboat if we go fishing. Besides BW gives the chop.

However, I don't completely discard writing first, but then it'll be BW next anyway because we'll need chop/whip to complete libs reasonably fast. Though straight alpha and backtrading for BW and other stuff does deserve consideration. :hmm:

I've just read my post.
I'm sorry to have written it so straight, I should have put it lighter (we are not babarian).
In no way, I'm requesting it from the rest of the team.
It is just a proposition with my arguments.

your reason for go for BW to whip monument is a good point for BW, i will not deny it.

I remember reading somewhere that you don't pay unit maintenance on settlers so having some in reserve saves building them later when you'd also want workers and infra to support expansion.

Would cripp, LK and rolo have noted this actually started? Would they remember about this at all? :mischief:

That's unfortunate rolo, hope your mum gets well soon.

Anyway, enough votes for C, so we settled there and teched to BW and already switched to slavery. Just whipped the monument in Beshbalik (C). Queued writing which is fine with me, though I'm not against agri+pottery first. I let the capital grow to size 3 with both sheep and started another settler. Meanwhile produced a warrior that headed east and got some hammers into a chariot before switching to settler. It'll be done in 3 turns, so yet again we'll have to decide where to settle.

Somehow I fancy 1NW of the northern pig, which is a plains hill if I'm not mistaken. Beshbalik has more than enough food as it is, while this city is a decent (early) production town and quite definitively blocks off the Chinese. I'm also not against settling the southern tip of Korea (on silk).

Note Toku already produced a galley, hope he won't be dropping off settlers any time soon. I would suppose that's unlikely as long as he hasn't settled more on his own island.

After two Japan earth games I feel an enormous urge to bash the Chinese yet again, it's unfortunate we are so civilized this time. :mischief:

Attachments

• Genghis Khan BC-2200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    165.3 KB · Views: 110
Would cripp, LK and rolo have noted this actually started? Would they remember about this at all? :mischief:
About what?

Sorry, first week of new job. Killing my time for the important stuff.

Getting used to night time only access again. Stupid job site blocks Civ fanatics.

LK is UP.

I can't get civ at work either :sad:.

Definitely settle korea next.

Maybe play until writing is in (or earlier if you get bored).

settle 1 NE to pigs is fine by me. It is not a great city but block chineses.

For science, i tried writting/alphabet and got it by turn 80 (-875) going full scientist ASAP.

however, elisabeth had it already at this point and most of the classic wonders were built at this point and we are far the get the remainings.
I could get the reback agriculture, massonery, fishing first turn and then archery, sailling and pottery next turn for writting/mysticism only.
I propose we follow this path.

btw, my mistake, BW was worth it ^^
but we should change civic asap as slavery is really kind of barbaric :p

In the queue behind RR15.

LOL - only 2 games, and both up.

I'd still go for korean silk. A chinese city up north would be a nuisance, a japanese city in Korea would be a major setback.

Techwise I'd still go HbR, we can trade HbR for alpha then backfill, we won't be able to trade alpha for HbR.

Sending out a chariot to meet the rest of the old world is worth doing.

Top Bottom