Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Do cities provide fresh water to surrounding tiles, even without Civil Service? I've been able to build Farms on tiles that aren't adjacent to rivers or lakes (and don't have the "Fresh Water" tag). I'm thinking that this is because they are adjacent to a city that does have Fresh Water. Is that right?

Blackthorn27 said:
Please can anyone explain why there is a the two-tone colour scheme for the research bar, production bar, etc.? Sometimes in the production bar there's a brown colour showing slightly ahead of the usual grey colours. What's that mean? Thanks.

The brighter tone represents the amount of research (for example) you have already completed, while the darker tone is the amount that will be added in this next turn. Since excess research, production, food, etc is rolled over to the next project you will frequently see a bit of dark bar on the first turn of build/research - this represent the overflow from the previous project.

It's a handy little feature that allows you to directly see what impact a change may have on your research, production, growth, etc.

Not sure if this has been addressed if it has excuse this but I'm a little confused about state religions. I have a few questions:

1. Does the first religion you found become you state
religion?
2. The manual indicates you can select your state
religion.How do you do this if you already have one or
f you don't have one?

Blackthorn27 said:
Please can anyone explain why there is a the two-tone colour scheme for the research bar, production bar, etc.? Sometimes in the production bar there's a brown colour showing slightly ahead of the usual grey colours. What's that mean? Thanks.

Simple:
Blue - already finished production / research
Light blue - will be complete next turn
Brown-ish (in production bar) - food production that is added onto settler or worker next turn

rainmaker said:
Not sure if this has been addressed if it has excuse this but I'm a little confused about state religions. I have a few questions:

1. Does the first religion you found become you state
religion?
2. The manual indicates you can select your state
religion.How do you do this if you already have one or
f you don't have one?

The first religion you found is not automatically your state religion. You are asked if you want to make it your state religion. If you don't, you have to go to the religion screen and change it.

You can change to any religion that is present in at least one of your cities, and it does not have to be a religion you founded.

Barred said:
Hi, I have been quite happily nibbling away at a next door empire. I have been able to bombard with frigates, take cities with ground troops ect, but now all of a sudden not one of my units can cross into his teritory and any that I had in before was moved out of his teritory by the game.

So from all out war to a no go and if I look in the relationship window my conection is no longer showing red (at war) it is now grey.

Any ideas would be great as there was a simular post earler but that was to start a war.

TIA

You probably signed a ceasefire or peace treaty with that nation.

It seems to me that the rule for city center production is that you get the default production of the space you build in, without any improvements, but it's brought up to a minimum of 2 food, 1 hammer, 1 commerce. Also I think forest (or jungle?) in the city center space is ignored? So, if you build a city on a plains/hill then you get 2/2/1; on desert/oasis 3/1/2; on desert/floodplains 3/1/1; on grasslands/cow 3/1/1; etc. Is this all correct? Are there any other factors? I haven't done extensive testing.

How is it possible to get a conquest victory without hitting a domination victory along the way?

Welcome, Great_Scott.
You last visited: Aug 03, 2004 at 02:41 PM

Wow, It's been a looong time. I'll blame SW Galaxies & SC4 for that!

Ok, I've played several custom games now... and have a few queries in regards to it..

Once I discovered Optics, I was delighted to load an explorer into my first Caravel and set it forth in search of the new world!...The other civs thought I'd fall off the end of the earth! Bah!

I was playing on 'balanced' (no info on this is is in the manual), huge map, 18 civs... all 18 were on this rather circular landmass that took up about 1/3 of the map... so I figured there'd be some great land, or at least some islands to discover..some hundred turns & a fair amount of map swapping later I realised no a single land tile existed outside the pangaea. (I thought it was balanced I selected!)

So, I quit the game there and then and went for the 'terra' option.. the option that resembles earth.. we have islands and several continents on earth, right?

Many many hours later, I'm about 1/4 into sweeping the great black void surrounding the 1 continent again with all 18 civs on it. And no luck, no land to discover.

I really enjoy this game up until this point, it's a real race for land with the 18 civs on 1 landmass, and some good skirmishes and land grabs later, I'm yearning for some fresh expansion... I really hoped for the scenario map style where, like in balanced and terra (and many more, but i've not played them yet) all 18 civs are on the 1 landmass, and a wealth of islands of maybe even a fairly big landmass awaits to lucky few who discover optics first and dare to step out into the unknown....

bobrath said:
How is it possible to get a conquest victory without hitting a domination victory along the way?

Quite simply, that's not possible. Even if you had one large enemy left, well one of you would have over 45% world population.

The only way it's possible is if you de-select the domination victory setting.

Thanks for answering Thamis, as far as I know I did not sign any ceasefires or peace offerings. In fact the war against him was going rather well (for me) as he had lost 2 out of 5 cities in 3 turns ant his main city was under bombardment form 3 frigates and 2 cannons along with a mixed assault force.

I finished my turn and after all the AI moves every unit of mine was outside of his teritory and cannot get back in (I still have the save game)

Regards

Barred said:
Thanks for answering Thamis, as far as I know I did not sign any ceasefires or peace offerings. In fact the war against him was going rather well (for me) as he had lost 2 out of 5 cities in 3 turns ant his main city was under bombardment form 3 frigates and 2 cannons along with a mixed assault force.

I finished my turn and after all the AI moves every unit of mine was outside of his teritory and cannot get back in (I still have the save game)

Regards
Do you have a total allience (or what ever that allience is that is called that shares research, exploration and diplomacy)? If you do have this than your ally might be making peace.

DaviddesJ said:
How is it determined which tiles a city can work? In Civ 3, if two cities of the same civilization were in range to work the same tile, then either city could work the tile. In Civ 4, it seems that only one or the other has access to the tile. What's the rule for determining which one? First come, first served? Larger city? Higher culture? Something else?

OK, it seems that any city can work any tile within range. But there's a bug (or maybe a feature?) where if you have tile yields toggled on, the game sometimes won't show you the tile yields for tiles that are within range of your city and also within range of another of your cities. But you can still work them by clicking on them. At least, that's how it seems to be working now.

Great_Scott said:
I really hoped for the scenario map style where, like in balanced and terra (and many more, but i've not played them yet) all 18 civs are on the 1 landmass, and a wealth of islands of maybe even a fairly big landmass awaits to lucky few who discover optics first and dare to step out into the unknown....

I believe what you're looking for is exactly what the "New World" option does. I'm not sure as I haven't played this my self, but Sirian's Map Scripts Guide (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/reference/) describes it as what you're looking for.

Good luck.

p dandy said:
To switch your own religion click on the red hand symbol in the top right. Then click on the box that represents the religion you want to go to. Then request a revolution.

Follow up question: is Anarchy only one turn. I've changed multiple civics at one time and it's always one turn.

Last sunday I played and I changed multiple civics to another ones. I did have 2 turn anarchy. So it can be 1-2 turn havent seen longer ones tho.

Any ideas when the patch is going to be released. I have some sound errors (like opening movie shutters). Also quite funny that in one IP game my friend didnt have any sounds but solo game did work well.

Thanks lost civantares, it must be a trade partner setting up a peace treaty because I have always rejected any thing from this empire (they had gone from second to last one I started the actual military campaign which is a bit one sided Machine guns vs spears). I have a feeling which one it is and then it is time to wipe them out as well if necessary though they are one of my major trade partners according the the relationship screen.

Thanks for the help guys.

Two questions:
1. Is there any way to quickly select a unit from a stack? Equivalent to right-clicking on CivIII and then selecting the unit. The only way I've found so far is first selecting the 'stack' by left-clicking on the it, and then having to select the unit from some images at the bottom of the screen (after having to mouse over all the units of the same kind to find the specific one i want). It's tedious when you have a lot of units in stacks and have to start scrolling through units even (there is only room for a limited number of small pics on the screen like 8-10). I dont see the reason behind disabling right-clicking alltogether.

2. This is a stupid questiong i know, but how can I from the city screen determine what each tile produces? All I see is one or two (or none) breadloafs. This gives an indication of how much food it yeilds (but i can't tell the difference between 2 and 3, 4 and 5), but how about gold and hammers? I don't get it. For now i have to select and deselect each tile and see the difference in the total outcome. I know i can just mouse-over the tile from outside the city screen, but I'm betting there is some way to get this information also from within the city screen.

Salte said:
Two questions:
1. Is there any way to quickly select a unit from a stack? Equivalent to right-clicking on CivIII and then selecting the unit. The only way I've found so far is first selecting the 'stack' by left-clicking on the it, and then having to select the unit from some images at the bottom of the screen (after having to mouse over all the units of the same kind to find the specific one i want). It's tedious when you have a lot of units in stacks and have to start scrolling through units even (there is only room for a limited number of small pics on the screen like 8-10). I dont see the reason behind disabling right-clicking alltogether.
You can change in options to allow right click menu. Then right click works as it did in Civ 3. I remember somone said that you could alt click or something to get the same, but I have not done this.
Salte said:
2. This is a stupid questiong i know, but how can I from the city screen determine what each tile produces? All I see is one or two (or none) breadloafs. This gives an indication of how much food it yeilds (but i can't tell the difference between 2 and 3, 4 and 5), but how about gold and hammers? I don't get it. For now i have to select and deselect each tile and see the difference in the total outcome. I know i can just mouse-over the tile from outside the city screen, but I'm betting there is some way to get this information also from within the city screen.
I think this is a bug (it works fine for me). Sounds very irritating to me, you had best start praying for the patch ;)

Top Bottom