Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

SimonSX said:
>> Air units. ARE THEY CAPABLE OF KILLING ANYTHING BY THEMSELVES?! It's nice that they're effective at whittling down strength and defenses, but it's just odd that they can't kill stuff effectively.

Also...since I don't know how to word this next question...I'll try an example.

fighter/bomber=jet/stealth or not regardless

I have a fighter on intercept in a city. I end my turn. During the little "Waiting for other Civs..." thing, the computer attacks that city with say...three fighters. Does my fighter haver a chance of intercepting all three or can it only intercept one fighter?

I'm not 100% on this, but much like SAMs you can only intercept once per turn.

Silversmith said:
32) Is there rally points for cities? There are in III

Right click on a tile OUTSIDE of a city, all units built in that city will automatically move to that tile. *note* When you set a rally point ALL units move there, as far as I've seen you can't set different rally points for different units The rally point will count against that units total move points.

Damnyankee said:
hey guys, is there an "Accelerate Production" option before the game starts anymore? Its really annoying me that it takes 30 turns for a settler to be built, thanks.

There is no accelerated production anymore, not techincally, set your game speed to quick. This will "accelerate" production.

There's something I don't understand about the Religion Advisor screen.

I get that each city shows its religion, with a star for the holy city of a religion, and you see the benefits for the cities that have your state religion.

But why are some cities listed on the left and some on the right? What does it mean?

Hey, everyone!

New to the forum!

Just finally got the game to work on my laptop... after having it for 3 weeks. I've played Civ all the way from the start. Huge fan.

Anyway. 2 simple questions (and, yes, I have read all 20 pages of this thread).

1) How do I zoom in and out? Besides going from globe view to the other view. I discovered the tech that centers the map. Once that happened, the view changed on me. No more close up. Now, I'm stuck on a birds-eye view. How do I go back to the original view?

2) How do I upgrade units? As in go from Warrior to the next best thing? (I can't remember. I think I'm confusing how to do that with playing Alpha Centauri)

1) Mouse scroll wheel or PapeUp/Down buttons.
2) Select the unit, IF you have the cash AND the Technology, the upgrade option(s) will appear in the center window at bottom of screen.

Blackthorn27 said:
Please can anyone explain why there is a the two-tone colour scheme for the research bar, production bar, etc.? Sometimes in the production bar there's a brown colour showing slightly ahead of the usual grey colours. What's that mean? Thanks.
I'd be interested in this also?

As usual apologies if the following questions are dumb but nevertheless any help would be appreciated
1) when the computer demands something for nothing via the trade screen is there anyway to guage their military strength thus assisting in deciding my response? In Civ 3 the military advisor would have popped up top right and simply told me how their civ compared to mine militarily?
I suppose this is indicative of the fact that I don't really understand how the military advisor works in Civ 4, any input would be gratefully appreciated.
2) Also Is there any point in spreading multiple religions via your missionaries?
3)finally has cultural flipping been removed from this version of the game?

redsoxclaret said:
I'd be interested in this also?

The first part in all meters is your current progress. Food, production, research, great people points, culture.

The second slightly different color is the amount added for the next turn. It's not yet there, but next turn :)

The brown color in blue production bar is because workers and settlers use excess food on production. That brown is the excess food added to production for the next turn.

redsoxclaret said:
As usual apologies if the following questions are dumb but nevertheless any help would be appreciated
1) when the computer demands something for nothing via the trade screen is there anyway to guage their military strength thus assisting in deciding my response? In Civ 3 the military advisor would have popped up top right and simply told me how their civ compared to mine militarily?
I suppose this is indicative of the fact that I don't really understand how the military advisor works in Civ 4, any input would be gratefully appreciated.
2) Also Is there any point in spreading multiple religions via your missionaries?
3)finally has cultural flipping been removed from this version of the game?

1: IIRC, you can access all the advisor buttons while in diplomatic conversation. So you have all the info you would normally have.

2: If you have x number of religions in a city, you can build x number of temples/monasteries/cathedrals. Also with a Free Religion civic you get a bonus if multiple religions are present. There are downsides though. If your opponent have built a shrine for a religion present in your city, it gets bonus gold. If your opponent has the Holy City of that religion, it gets a line of sight, that is, sees your city's units and and size (and nearby lands). It depends on the situation whether spreading is good. Usually it is, i think.

3: There is cultural flipping. In custom game options you can turn it off. Also there's an option for preventing cultural flipping after capturing opponent's city.

How do I get the computer to save all the auto-save games?

I found the entry for saving every turn so every turn is saved, but it still only saves 5 turns worth of saves.

Is there a post that goes over the ini file somewhere?

question number ???

how do i get a mod to work

i load it in the advanced section, game restart and then ... ?

it is always the normal version that i play

Hi wolfie, welcome to CivFanatics. :)

wolfie said:
how do i get a mod to work
i load it in the advanced section, game restart and then ... ?
it is always the normal version that i play

This is not how it should be.

Usually, you select a mod (as you described), then the game closes and restarts itself. On the main menu, you now see the name of the mod in the upper right corner of the screen. The mod is active now and is part of a new game you start (not of games you *load*; you cannot add or remove such a mod from any game in progress).

(There are exceprions like the Blue marble mod though.)

Hope that helps, if it doesn't, ask again. :)

Well that is what i do but game is just the same as normal.

I will wait untill i see a mod that makes big changes and that sounds fun to see again. maybe difference between normal and mod is not big enough for me to notice

Hm. This might be the wrong place to post this, but I'm sure one of you will tell me that anyway. I'm more interested in the answer to the following question:

Are they guys that made this game going to repair it? I'm not the only one who experiences the computer trying to dump after 20 mins in the game. And if you've had this problem, and resolved it, how did you do so?

Thanks

Top Bottom