Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

a4phantom said:
Are all the bonuses from promos cumulative? Obviously the Combat ones, +10% each, must be, but Barrage I gives you +20 Collateral Damage, II gives you +30 and III gives +50. So is that a total of 50 or 100?

Yes all of the promotion bonuses add up so if you have City Raider I and II and Combat I then you have a 20% + 25% + 10% = 45% bonus against cities and a 10% bonus against normal units

I believe saltpeter is not actually found out in nature in the form orginally found in Civ 3. I have a suspicion that it is a chemical compound not naturally occuring and requiring human chemistry in order to make it volatile. Gunpowder is made up of potassium and something else and so it is because of this that I believe it is not naturally occurring, but I'm not sure so don't take my word on it.
Cheers
jakob51

I have a computer with a 1,1 GHz processor, 512 megs og RAM and a GeForce 2 (64 meg) graphic card. Does anyone know if it is at all possible to run civIV on my machine. I don`t care if its slow as long as it works....

calyth said:
Can you airlift a unit to a tile that's not a city?

You can't. This was possible in civ III to some extent (paratroopers), but not in civ IV.

Sir Toma said:
Yes all of the promotion bonuses add up so if you have City Raider I and II and Combat I then you have a 20% + 25% + 10% = 45% bonus against cities and a 10% bonus against normal units

Your reasoning is correct but your math is off a bit. So to not confuse anyone: a combat I, city raider II unit gets a 20% + 25% + 10% = 55% when attacking cities. :D
There's no need to get into the details of the combat system here but it's interesting to note that the 10% from combat I gets added to your combat power, while the 45% from city raider II gets subtracted from your enemy. It makes very little difference in the end though.

Tantor said:
I have a computer with a 1,1 GHz processor, 512 megs og RAM and a GeForce 2 (64 meg) graphic card. Does anyone know if it is at all possible to run civIV on my machine. I don`t care if its slow as long as it works....

It should be possible, but you may be limited to the smaller map sizes. Since your specs are just about minimum, you may want to try the demo first. But it should run, albeit slowly.

jakob51 said:
I believe saltpeter is not actually found out in nature in the form orginally found in Civ 3. I have a suspicion that it is a chemical compound not naturally occuring and requiring human chemistry in order to make it volatile. Gunpowder is made up of potassium and something else and so it is because of this that I believe it is not naturally occurring, but I'm not sure so don't take my word on it.

A form of saltpeter can be found in nature and was used as a resource in the real world. There was actually a war in South America because several countries wanted to control this resource. The period of "saltpeter mining" was relatively short though (from around 1860-1920), because in 1914 a scientist found a way to produce it out of very common material.

Including saltpeter as a resource in Civ3 was certainly justified because of its immense importance during a short time. Taking it out in Civ4 is equally justified because as opposed to, say, copper or coal, the period when saltpeter was important was extremely short.

Taking it out was mainly a gameplay decision. The devs wanted to downplay the crucial importance of resources a little. In Civ3, when you couldn't get saltpeter, you were prone to be overrun by your neigbours because you had enormous difficulties to field an adequate defense.

Personally, I'd still like to have saltpeter back though. :)

Samson said:
I would like to point you all in the pirection of the thread titled Civilization IV: Frequently Asked Questions -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134903

Probbly worth sticking to one thread.

Different purpose, although I thank you for pointing that one out to me. But it asks you to look and see if the question's already been answered, and my hope here (and I copied the idea from a very popular thread in the Civ3 forum) is that people who don't have that kind of time to devote to games (right now!) can just ask.

a4phantom said:
Different purpose, although I thank you for pointing that one out to me. But it asks you to look and see if the question's already been answered, and my hope here (and I copied the idea from a very popular thread in the Civ3 forum) is that people who don't have that kind of time to devote to games (right now!) can just ask.
They do not ask you to look through the whole thread, just the "available info" that is divided into sections, and then only if "you aren't in a rush to post any questions". In the civ 3 one they specificly told you not to read through the whole thread, just post.

I seem to have lost my Ivory source, although the elephant is still there on the map right outside my capital with a camp on the square and connencted by road to all my cities. Can sources simply expire like in Civ 3 or has anyone else got any theories as to what's going on ?

You've probably traded it to someone else - we've had a couple of threads about that same issue and that's almost always the answer.

redsoxclaret said:
I seem to have lost my Ivory source, although the elephant is still there on the map right outside my capital with a camp on the square and connencted by road to all my cities. Can sources simply expire like in Civ 3 or has anyone else got any theories as to what's going on ?
Have you just discovered the tech that obsoletes it? Sci. Method possibly?

redsoxclaret said:

You either researched industrialism (which obsoletes ivory) or traded it away.

I am courious if anyone has a breakdown on how your final score is tallied. For instance, do you receive more points for obtaining a certain victory as opposed to another? Or, do you receive more points for a quick victory? Or, does each wonder, tech advance, or number of citizens come into play? Thank you all for your help on this!:goodjob:

Does the 'epic' game change technology research rates so that no civs reach the Medieval Age by 650 BC? I'd prefer to reach it later rather than earlier.:p

Tomyris said:
Does the 'epic' game change technology research rates so that no civs reach the Medieval Age by 650 BC? I'd prefer to reach it later rather than earlier.:p

Basically, the epic game speed means
1. more turns required to reach a certain date
2. more turns required to research a certain tech
3. more turns required to built a certain unit/building
4. more turns required to reach a certain population
5. more turns to get a certain Great Person

So by a certain Date, the only thing that will have changed is the total number of turns (and therefore the amount of movement that has been allowed). The technologies, wonders, level of city development will all be about the same in Quick 650 BC, Normal 650 BC, and Epic 650 BC.

BeefontheBone said:
You've probably traded it to someone else - we've had a couple of threads about that same issue and that's almost always the answer.
yes this was the reason. thanks. So when trading, only resources with a 2 have a surplus, trading a resource with only 1 unit is trading away your own supply. don't I feel a dummy.
Next i'd like a "civics for Dumies" lesson please, could someone explain the benefits of the "free religion" civic. It is the most advanced of the religious civics yet it only seems to penalise the player who has spread their religions, or as is likely have I just completely misunderstood the whole thing.

I like free religion because it provides happiness for EVERY different religion in a city, IIRC. Also, it cuts down on the "we hate you because you have a different state religion than us" because then you HAVE no official religion!

Hi guys, just a short observation to share. Has anyone noticed in the Civ 4 ini file that can be altered a listing under [GAME] called ; Move along Cheatcode = 0. If you have any idea what this does please say something as I would like to know whether or not it could possibly fix the rally points problem I am experiencing with v1.09, where the military units built in a city basically fail to 'move along' to the rally point. Assistance is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
jakob51

Top Bottom