Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

:lol: Chalks and Senethro have both gone the route of making personal attacks against people that have ever had a problem with Steam, and they both blindly support Steam to such an extent, that they make stuff up to defend it half of the time.

I use Steam on a laptop and a desktop. Some games are installed on both. I can use both but not at the same time. Personal experience enables me to answer the question.

Now whos making stuff up?

well it certainly seems to me that some people would find it cool if it was mandatory to have a web cam connected at all times so Steam can watch you while you sleep

Are you completely lacking in intellectual honesty?

im not angry over a $20 game that i already beat im just pointing out that Steam is BS and that they not the customer owns the software they "sell"

i have the receipt and the game and the cd key and the game manual i just dont have the email and i have no idea how im suppose to gain access to a email address that may not even exist anymore

My brother had his steam account and his email address stolen and was able to recover his steam account.

You're wrong if you believe it's not possible to recover it.

:lol: Chalks and Senethro have both gone the route of making personal attacks against people that have ever had a problem with Steam, and they both blindly support Steam to such an extent, that they make stuff up to defend it half of the time.

Wrong. It's most certainly possible to play a steam game on any number of different computers.

I feel similarly about needing a particular bit of plastic to play a game. Ugh, a physical object? Whats that about. I might lose it, it might get stolen or generally degrade.

You need a pretty big chunk of plastic/metal to be able to play Steam games actually. It's bigger than a CD.

And you don't need that chunk of plastic and metal if you have it on CD?

Did I imply that?

Reminder:
Ugh, a physical object? Whats that about.
Oh no, I need a physical object to play a computer game.

For me, with two small kids I find it much more likely that I'd lose or damage a CD than me forget my password for steam. My kids and CDs don't mix. I caught the little one using two DVDs as 'ice skates' to slip smoothly around the apartment a few weeks ago.

For me, with two small kids I find it much more likely that I'd lose or damage a CD than me forget my password for steam. My kids and CDs don't mix. I caught the little one using two DVDs as 'ice skates' to slip smoothly around the apartment a few weeks ago.

You have your Steam, I'll have my CD. What's wrong with that? Why do Steam supporters want to take away choice?

You have your Steam, I'll have my CD. What's wrong with that? Why do Steam supporters want to take away choice?

I think Steam supporters just want people to be quiet about it really.

We're not taking away the choice of not connecting to the internet. It's already gone. We're just trying to make people feel better about the fact to reduce the levels of spam on this forum.

I daresay I'll have both as it looks like it'll be cheaper for me to buy the CD and use staem than download it direct from steam.

I'm not trying to take away your CD. I'm telling you that it is possible to play steam activated games without accessing the internet more often than you want to.

The reality is that you, me and everybody else here is so insignificant in the greater scheme of things that the information we contain on our home computers simply isn't worth the time, effort or risk to get at. The greatest risk is that somebody will exploit a vulnerability to show you ads so they can take somebody elses money (the advertiser) or to steal your virtual resources through CPU power and bandwidth to propogate their ads across the Internet with the same goal. Your truely sensitive information, excluding the naked pictures of your best friend's wife anyway, is already stored on a computer somewhere else along with that same sensitive information from thousands or millions of other people and THAT computer is the one you need to worry about. THAT computer also happens to be one that you have absolutely no control over, in fact it may not even be a computer, it may be a HDD from a 'smart' copier that your insurance agent sold to somebody in China that still contains lots of fun things like your birth certificate or extensive medical records. :)

If you're really honestly that concerned about the security of any data on your PC you should probably just pull the plug now and get it over with, otherwise it's always at risk no matter how savvy or cautious you are. Worrying this much about what Steam may or may not be doing when you probably handed your credit card to some pimple faced teenager that you've never seen before last night doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Why can't you just answer a simple and clear question and if you're not able to, just stfu? Thank you very much.

By the way I don't own a credit card, nor do I need one. You should refrain from projecting your own habits on other people. I don't care whom you give your credit card and where you store the naked pictures of your friend's wife. I don't care if you leave your computer's gates wide open to the whole internet either.

Moderator Action: Flaming
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

This hits on one of the concerns people have.... supporting a business model they don't agree with. DLC and DRM being just two aspects of it. Some folks have hinted at concerns over how Steams business model will look going forward. And how Steams growing market share can alter the industry. Some of us have had bad experiences with supporting something which evolved into something very different. Case in point...

My only source of broadband internet will not allow us to upgrade to the next tier unless we also upgrade our cable package. They have a wide range of packages, and all sorts of bundle options. But to get the highest speed net, we MUST buy additional cable channels. Those are two different services. Yet you can't have one premium service without the other. They can get away with this and more because we, the customers, empowered their monopoly with our patronage. Some folks who don't like the direction that DRM is headed with internet validation, are going to attempt to alter that course by not supporting media sold in that way. People who don't like the idea of fragmenting games by monetizing them with micro-transaction DLC, are not going to want to support companies that base their business model on this practice. Those who are very concerned about these issues will debate it in public.

At some future point will Steam offer tiered packages tied to other services like comcast does? ...Free service comes with purchase of a game and allows you to play SP and download developer patches (and is required to validate your purchase). Pay a slight monthly charge and you can add fan created mods. Pay a little more and you can play MP games. They are afterall paying for all that server space, and shelling out mounds of payroll to IT. Rising energy costs, increasing network congestion, new competitors, losses to net neutrality etc will pressure the existing model. How will Steam adapt? Will the games we buy stay bought? Will mods stay free? Will we have the freedom to host our own MP games? Or will mods and MP be monetized to keep Steam afloat?

I agree...we as consumers take way too much crap from corporations in general. Remember in the 70s when the price of coffee went up and masses of people stopped drinking coffee? Coffee is such an ingrained habit but people gave it up out of protest. Well...the corporations listened and prices fell back to what they should be. Anyway, we have to remember that as consumers we have the power, not the companies. This is more relevant to cell phone, cable, communication companies than it is to Steam. But still...we need to regain our backbone as consumers

I daresay I'll have both as it looks like it'll be cheaper for me to buy the CD and use staem than download it direct from steam.

I'm not trying to take away your CD. I'm telling you that it is possible to play steam activated games without accessing the internet more often than you want to.

Having to access the Internet at all is messed up.

Someday, I'd be sitting there with no Internet access (I do cut it to save money sometimes) looking at a CD I bought but cannot use to reinstall the game.

Someday, 8 or 9 years down the road, I'll be wanting to reinstall Civ, but won't be able to because the activation servers are long gone, or Steam was sold, or something.

It's just no good.

If you want a version with these things, I have no problem; I just want a version that is not constrained by requirements that games have got by perfectly well without for two decades. There is no NECESSITY. It is an inconvenience being pushed on the consumer for profit - so, cut the price and pass the savings on to the consumer, or offer a version that does what 20 year old games can do, namely, be activated whenever and wherever, regardless of whether or not the company or its activation servers are still around.

You honestly think you'll want to play Civ 5 in 9 years when Civ 8 rawks and getting Civ 5 to work on your new hardware is a total nightmare anyway?

You honestly think you'll want to play Civ 5 in 9 years when Civ 8 rawks and getting Civ 5 to work on your new hardware is a total nightmare anyway?

Civ1 works pretty well on my hardware and that's 20 years old. I find it hard to believe that machine restrictions would prevent me from playing Civ5 in 9 years time, unless it's something to do with Steam that is.

Have you never played a game that is more than a few years old?

I couldn't get Rome Total War to work on my last graphics card never mind the one I have now. I had to get the Rome:TW Gold from steam.

I couldn't play FM 97/98 either on Vista either.

I'm telling you that it is possible to play steam activated games without accessing the internet more often than you want to.
This is NOT true! The Steam client frequently checks for updates. It does this on its own. You can choose offline mode and jump through the hoops required to get it working. But Steam will still access the net. And if it finds a client update then you can't play any games until you install the update.

To be clear: if your PC is connected to the net, Steam will be phoning home to look for updates.
If it finds a client update, offline mode will not work until that update has been installed.

This is NOT true! The Steam client frequently checks for updates. It does this on its own. You can choose offline mode and jump through the hoops required to get it working. But Steam will still access the net. And if it finds a client update then you can't play any games until you install the update.

To be clear: if your PC is connected to the net, Steam will be phoning home to look for updates.
If it finds a client update, offline mode will not work until that update has been installed.

I don't know if this is true or not, but if you're paranoid about installing steam updates (even though you shouldn't be) then you can block it with your firewall.

You can't complain that Steam has not catered for you being irrational. You're able to stop it from phoning home with your firewall. What more do you want? A button that says "pretend I don't have internet access"?

Stop taking an unreasonable position then complaining that it's not being specifically catered for.

Top Bottom