Best Civilization/Leader in CIVILIZATION V (October 2010)

Best Civ

• America

Votes: 37 4.2%
  • Arabia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Aztec

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • China

Votes: 138 15.7%
  • Egypt

Votes: 42 4.8%
  • England

Votes: 47 5.4%
  • France

Votes: 81 9.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Greece

Votes: 76 8.7%
  • India

Votes: 21 2.4%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 36 4.1%
  • Ottoman

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Persia

Votes: 57 6.5%
  • Rome

Votes: 55 6.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Siam

Votes: 30 3.4%
  • Songhai

Votes: 28 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the latest patch, my favorite civ was Greece due largely to their companion cavalries that I rushed to take cities early. But now that horses have a combat penalty against cities and that maritime city-states don't have as large of benefits as they did before, I have been playing as Rome.

I think China are the best Civ all-around. But my favorite to play with is Rome. I research iron working as fast as I can to build legions and the ballista, and then I take as many cities as I can while using my legions to build roads as they go so my workers can focus on improvements.

Why does everyone like China so much. They're actually quite bad if you're not going for a domination victory. I usually just use great generals for golden ages unless I'm in a war. Even if you are going for domination, then how about Japan, Rome, Greece or Incas?

Why does everyone like China so much. They're actually quite bad if you're not going for a domination victory. I usually just use great generals for golden ages unless I'm in a war. Even if you are going for domination, then how about Japan, Rome, Greece or Incas?

Paper Makers are excellent for China's economy. This, in addition to their GG bonus, make them good at two of the most important facets of civ (warfare and the economy). The economic bonus also indirectly helps other aspects of the game (culture, science, warfare).

A few other civs are better than China at individual things (warmongering, science, culture, etc.) but none have the whole package that they do.

I personally think that the road half maintenance cost of Incas and no maintenance on hills make a better economic advantage than paper makers, which in turn lets you bribe more city states, which means units are gifted more often by militaristic city states, which means you don't have to build units, which means you can make more buildings and wonders, which give you more advantages.

who, other than a mindless patriot, would vote for America? It's one of the worst civilizations of the game.

England is quite a lot better on a continents map, but I also don't see why anyone would vote for them.

And anyone who voted Ottoman must be joking

who, other than a mindless patriot, would vote for America? It's one of the worst civilizations of the game.

England is quite a lot better on a continents map, but I also don't see why anyone would vote for them.

And anyone who voted Ottoman must be joking

I know, what's so good about sight? You have scouts if you want to play that strategically. Most of the successful civs in real life are bad in the game, (America China France England Spain Arabia). The Ottomans are even worse if you're not on archipegalo, but even so it is really annoying to be on archipegalo in the first place. I usually play continents or earth, not so much naval demand but not too many Al neighbors.

I haven't voted, but the Aztecs are my favorite civ.
Their UB means my river cities will grow very quickly and to a very large size without the use of Maritime CS's. Also, the growth is not limited to my capitol with Tradition SP's.
Their UU is weak, but they are the best animated units in the game.
Their UA helps me unlock lots of social policies quickly, especially if I enable raging barbarians.

I like their city names, even if I can't pronounce some of them. I also enjoy their player colors.

Is there anywhere a list of all the civs/leaders together with their unique attributes and the benefits of their unique buildings & units? So far I seem to have to check out several pages per civ in the civilopedia, and even here at Civ Fanatics it gives leader traits but only the names of their unique building/unit, with no explanation of their benefits. Apologies if it's available somewhere obvious, but I can't find it and it would be so much simpler to just be able to scan a table!

While I didn't vote for them, I think this forums hate on the Ottomans is unfounded. Sure, there UA is practically useless, but I'd recommend folks check out their UU before they consider the entire civ terrible.

Greetings, first post here from a fanatic of SMAC/X. My experience from that game has made me completely biased towards France.

It's all about turn advantage imho, and France has the best UB from their UA, a free monument. The bonus is two pronged , faster city expansion and faster policy tricks. I can if necessary go into some depth about the subtleties of these powers, but really the most important factor is that the UA is working for you turn one. There are a few other leaders who has a U active from turn one, but imho none of them come close to the strength and flexibly of extra culture

Don't get me wrong, extra gold is amazingly powerful and flexible in Civ5, however by the time the other advantages come into play the foundation to who will will the game will have been already laid.

I wish the OP would have qualified their question more. Everyone has their favorite settings for the game which can dramatically shift the balance of power in the game. It would be nice to compare apples to apples.

-Joel

For me it's England. The three range longbow is like mid game artillery. Add to promotions to give it an extra attack and you have a splatter monster.
Chu-nu-ko are better. They get 2 attacks right from the start which means faster experience and can get to 3 range that much faster.

Well, the best, your favorite. Same difference :D
I would just like to hear what you think about other civs and what makes them really good?

A brilliant article about this is in 'Civ5 Discussions --> Strategy Discussions --> Strategy Articles' and has a name like 'Civ5 .... for Civ4-veterans'.
You don't have to be scared: I'm not a Civ4-veteran (but won some games at some lower levels in 4) and still learned a lot by reading. It really gives lots of information together with very useful strategy hints about all civs (but not the DCL ones IIRC) and analyzes about all elements of the game (SPs, Wonders etc.).

An absolute "must read" imo.

Umm not for nothing, how come there's no DLC civs on the poll? Anywho, my favorite civ is the Inca. Their UA is just friggin great in the early game because you'll be able to explore the land faster without having to expend another turn to traverse a hill, and you'll find ancitent ruins more frequently. Also, the UA allows you to not have to pay for the improvements on hills and elsewhere it's half cost, virtually making improvement expense close to 0 up until the mid-late game. Last but not least the UI (improvement), the terrace farm, allows you to build basically a farm on top of a hill in the early game once you research construction. This helps your production while not having to worry about the city starving while going all out on production and if its surrounded by a lot of hills, it give you at most 6 food. Their UU the slinger ain't that bad either with the ability to escape a melee attack. All in all, they're a good all around civ, and if you're the player that likes to maintain a good economy with an industrious civ like me, you'll love the Inca.

lol.... The poll results are scary..

France is by far the best civilization in Civ V. The fact that it is not ranked #1 says something very important about this message board :p

:king:

Yes it shows that some people prefer to play for fun and not one getting the highest score they can. who knew?

I voted Rome. If you start under the right circumstances (with enough iron and production) you can dominate everything. And the UA is good too.

lol.... The poll results are scary..

France is by far the best civilization in Civ V. The fact that it is not ranked #1 says something very important about this message board :p

:king:
Good point.

The extra 2 culture and the Musketeer and Foreign Legion can make a huge difference throughout a large part of the game.

Also, I now play Babylon. Their science bonus is nice and the bowman is good to use in the early part of the game if you want to whipe out some contenders.

Good old United States of America, you will always have a special place in my heart.

Egypt is extremely fun, therefore they get my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom