Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Build mass siege elephants, let the English conquer your cities and use their city attack bonus to your advantage.

Well, talking about new unit types, has anyone here ever played the Legends of Revolution mod? It has a nice array of steamships, which are horribly underrepresented in-game. It's like 100 years of naval technology never existed! I think some steamboats to fill the gap between SoTLs and destroyers would be great. It would also give a chance to players without oil in naval warfare.

There is Ironclad aka steam powered ship with some armor; and require only iron and coal. You need steel and steam power to build them.

There is Ironclad aka steam powered ship with some armor; and require only iron and coal. You need steel and steam power to build them.

I know. But
-They can't enter Oceans, while IRL steamships could (the Titanic is a nice example).
-They can't carry units, while IRL steamships could.
-They are horribly slow, while IRL steamships were quite a bit faster.

They only represent the early steamships.

I know. But
-They can't enter Oceans, while IRL steamships could (the Titanic is a nice example).
-They can't carry units, while IRL steamships could.
-They are horribly slow, while IRL steamships were quite a bit faster.

They only represent the early steamships.

What's IRL please? I tried to find it on internet, but i didn't find anything that make sense.

Actually you may be right, however i checked some articles on wiki, and it seems to be the steam powered ship was very large group of ships from first iron clad to first dreadnought and or even super-modern ships...

From wiki:
Spoiler :

From the 1850s, the sailing ships of the line were replaced by steam-powered battleships, while the sailing frigates were replaced by steam-powered cruisers. The armament of warships also changed with the invention of the rotating barbettes and turrets, which allowed the guns to be aimed independently of the direction of the ship and allowed a smaller number of larger guns to be carried.

So you may be right, the examples of something IMHO what you referring to (there was more examples however without pictures):
General Admiral (1873)
HMS Shannon (1875)

However i think this ship would use so shortly, and was only stepping stone to modern battleships and destroyers, so it doesn't make very much sense implementing it. But that's just my humble unimportant opinion.

IRL = In Real Life :)
Well, I think they were used for about 100 years. It would also provide a bit of balance in game, because there are quite a bit of civs without Uranium and Oil whose navy will get mauled by destroyers.

I see on the map there's a new TXT_KEY_REGION_ thing showing. Is this the omen of some new feature?

Sort of. It's similar to SoI's provinces, I'll not use it for stability or victory goals etc. though, but to be able to handle some internal things better. For example, I intend to use it to limit the Seljuks to their historical area, keep foreign culture out of Tibet an (which was the original motivation) decide which city art the independents should use when I add cultural city styles.

The display in the tooltip (which only doesn't show the proper names because I haven't committed the text key file) is only for testing purposes and will disappear later on.

# Trading Company now can also spread to cities that build the Trading Company building

Does this apply to non-European civs as well?

Leoreth, what do you think about separating TXT_KEY_REGION_33 to two province?
I think a single province for all Mesoamerica + Mexico is a bit too large...

P.S I can't find TXT_KEY_REGION_32? After TXT_KEY_REGION_31 in around Texas, the next one is TXT_KEY_REGION_33 haha. Or perhaps not yet discovered by my Aztec explorer~

P.P.S : iirc, cmiiw. haven't update the SVN yet either

# Trading Company now can also spread to cities that build the Trading Company building

Does this apply to non-European civs as well?
No, trading companies are only available to the five European colonisers anyway. It just circumvents the usual restriction to East Asia / the Caribbean.

Leoreth, what do you think about separating TXT_KEY_REGION_33 to two province?
I think a single province for all Mesoamerica + Mexico is a bit too large...

P.S I can't find TXT_KEY_REGION_32? After TXT_KEY_REGION_31 in around Texas, the next one is TXT_KEY_REGION_33 haha. Or perhaps not yet discovered by my Aztec explorer~

P.P.S : iirc, cmiiw. haven't update the SVN yet either
Region 22 is Alaska (I've uploaded the name file for the regions now, by the way). The way they're distributed are completely arbitrary, and since most regions don't do anything there is no point in rearranging them currently (that would only be necessary if it furthers one of the goals of regions).

Currently only Anatolia, Persia and Mesopotamia are used to limit Seljuk attacks to these areas.

Since the main use of regions in the future will be to determine independent city art, and Mesoamerican city art will be used for all of Mesoamerica, I don't see any reason for a split.

Region 22 is Alaska (I've uploaded the name file for the regions now, by the way). The way they're distributed are completely arbitrary, and since most regions don't do anything there is no point in rearranging them currently (that would only be necessary if it furthers one of the goals of regions).

32... haha.
Well, it's not necessary; but sure it's tidier. Might be useful one day ;)

Since the main use of regions in the future will be to determine independent city art, and Mesoamerican city art will be used for all of Mesoamerica, I don't see any reason for a split.

Ah..
I thought the main use was to limit the AI expansion, UHV (like for Rome/Ottoman), spawn/respawn region, mercenary pools etc...
So it's just for independent city styles :crazyeye:

Ah..
I thought the main use was to limit the AI expansion, UHV (like for Rome/Ottoman), spawn/respawn region, mercenary pools etc...
So it's just for independent city styles :crazyeye:
Yes, the purpose is decidedly not to implement SoI style provinces. It might come into use for mercenary pools, though.

Where should I? I'm limited by the existing city styles anyway, and the regions cover pretty much all distinctions necessary.

What about 600AD, normal speed?

Isn't the church of holy sepulchre in jerusalem?

Or have I been bashing my head against a wall trying to OB with Byzzies for nothing?

On 600 AD, yup, it is in Jerusalem/Qods. That's why I did it on 3000 BC :mischief:
Maybe you can try to go through the pass in between the Black and Caspian seas? I have no clue if you will be in time or not, though...
Oh, and Galleys work fine too, of course.

yeah, thats what I'm thinking, galleys. but very hard to get enough in time. maybe conquering venedig should give you some? or maybe mercenary galleys? still gonna be hard without ob with byzzies, have to dow, and they have two tiremes in the aegean.

leoreth, do you want the uhv condition to be possible in 600ad start?

it would be cooler, i think if you could go overland, maybe some form of diplo adjustment between hre and byzzies in order? maybe a request for dow against arabs? little scripty though. maybe diplo penalty for cath vs ortho should be reduced enough to ob.

i know this hre/prussia split is pretty dear to your heart so it should be done right. i wanna take jerusalem with barbarossa!

also, lot of new names on here. any of you guys from the old crowd with new user names?

Jammer, you know AIs are more likely to open borders when you have a mutual war, right? Justi is quite likely to war Arabia, so if you declare on Arabia he might be willing to OB.

Top Bottom