GiantGuineaPig's 2nd Pitboss game!

FYI all I couldn't get a line sync on my ADSL before I left for work this morning, so the servers are probably down.

BCLG100 said:
are there any spots left open? id be interested in playing GGP, PM me if you need my e-mail etc :)

Sorry I can't add more players once the game has started. If anyone is bored of playing though at any stage, let me know and BCLG100 you can take over their civ.

Can anyone explain exactly how diplomacy works in a PitBoss game? When both players are logged in at the same time I know it works fine. However, if Player1 is logged in and Player 2 is not, and Player1 makes an offer of a trade it will appear to Player2 the next time they log in. If Player2 accepts, I assume the trade then takes place immediately as they click the accept button.

Q1) If Player1 offers a trade and writes some text in the diplomacy window will Player2 see this text when they log in?

Q2) If Player1 writes some text in the diplomacy window but doesn't make an actual trade offer, will Player2 see the text? In fact, will the diplomacy window display at all to Player2 if a real trade offer hasn't been made? (I'm thinking in terms of humans could offer "you attack that barbarian and I'll attack the other one" but that isn't a 'real' trade from the game's point of view)

Q3) If Player1 makes two trade offers for the same thing to Players 2 and 3, and Player2 logs in before Player3 to accept the offer, will Player3 see the offer but not get the option of accepting? Or will he not even see the trade offer (in which case, what happens to any text messages which may have been sent when the trade offer was made?)

Q4) If Players 2 and 3 both make an offer to Player1 on the same turn, when Player 1 logs in he will presumably see the first offer (eg. from Player2). If he exits this diplomacy screen to see if there are any other offers (in this case from Player3), is it possible to get back to the offer made by Player2? Or has Player2's offer expired at this point so Player1 has to re-offer the same trade to Player2?

Q5) Depending on the answers to these questions, would players prefer diplomacy to be handled via email rather than through the game interface? If so, everyone already has everyone else's emails from the PitBoss notification emails. However, I don't know how to match everyone's email to their Civ/Leader. Perhaps the first post can be updated to show the first few characters of each player's email address so we can communicate that way? Of course, we can limit ourselves to only communicate to civs we've contacted in the game.

dribnairb said:
However, if Player1 is logged in and Player 2 is not, and Player1 makes an offer of a trade it will appear to Player2 the next time they log in. If Player2 accepts, I assume the trade then takes place immediately as they click the accept button.
Yes

dribnairb said:
Q1) If Player1 offers a trade and writes some text in the diplomacy window will Player2 see this text when they log in?
Yes

dribnairb said:
Q2) If Player1 writes some text in the diplomacy window but doesn't make an actual trade offer, will Player2 see the text? In fact, will the diplomacy window display at all to Player2 if a real trade offer hasn't been made? (I'm thinking in terms of humans could offer "you attack that barbarian and I'll attack the other one" but that isn't a 'real' trade from the game's point of view)
Yes

dribnairb said:
Q3) If Player1 makes two trade offers for the same thing to Players 2 and 3, and Player2 logs in before Player3 to accept the offer, will Player3 see the offer but not get the option of accepting? Or will he not even see the trade offer (in which case, what happens to any text messages which may have been sent when the trade offer was made?)
No idea. Never had it come up or thought of it.

dribnairb said:
Q4) If Players 2 and 3 both make an offer to Player1 on the same turn, when Player 1 logs in he will presumably see the first offer (eg. from Player2). If he exits this diplomacy screen to see if there are any other offers (in this case from Player3), is it possible to get back to the offer made by Player2? Or has Player2's offer expired at this point so Player1 has to re-offer the same trade to Player2?
Once you exit the diplomacy screen, the offer is gone. You'll have to recreate the offer back to the person. I've done this before even when it's just one offer, so as to check my resources and other things to make sure I want to accept it.

dribnairb said:
Q5) Depending on the answers to these questions, would players prefer diplomacy to be handled via email rather than through the game interface? If so, everyone already has everyone else's emails from the PitBoss notification emails. However, I don't know how to match everyone's email to their Civ/Leader. Perhaps the first post can be updated to show the first few characters of each player's email address so we can communicate that way? Of course, we can limit ourselves to only communicate to civs we've contacted in the game.
There will most likely end up needing to be a good amount of diplomacy via email at some point, since the diplomacy screen is just too annoying to use for typing out complex plans and other such things. You can probably just use the diplomacy window to the player in question asking them to send you an email if they wish communicate via email for some diplomacy. And in that screen you give them your email address and ask for theirs.

Yes a lot of people don't like posting their email addys on a public forum. You can PM anyone here though, and they should get an email saying theres a private message for them - you should be able to match up names/civs from the main post.

Hitanykey - why is your civ now under AI control?

I don't know. It shouldn't be. If the AI took over somehow, I sure hope it didn't screw up any the things I have going on. I won't be able to log in again until late tonight (ie. after 10:30pm EST) to find out and take control back. Unless you can manually change control back to Human for me from the pitboss screen.

HitAnyKey said:
I don't know. It shouldn't be. If the AI took over somehow, I sure hope it didn't screw up any the things I have going on. I won't be able to log in again until late tonight (ie. after 10:30pm EST) to find out and take control back. Unless you can manually change control back to Human for me from the pitboss screen.

Seems all good now. Maybe AI kicks in if you just miss 1 turn?

I didn't miss any turns. Not even when the AI took over. I had finished and ended that turn and luckily was able to log back in and take over again before the turn ended.
I suppose it's possible that I clicked the Retire button instead of the Exit to Main Menu button. :confused:

HitAnyKey said:
I didn't miss any turns. Not even when the AI took over. I had finished and ended that turn and luckily was able to log back in and take over again before the turn ended.
I suppose it's possible that I clicked the Retire button instead of the Exit to Main Menu button. :confused:

That seems the most likely option, because I don't think there's any way to set "automatic AI takeover" by the pitboss admin anyway.

The Evil Incas are attacking our peaceful nation of Chinese! They have Invaded the lands of our realm and threatened our citizens! :cry:
We look to our neighboring civilizations to help put down this terrible warlord assault and bring Peace back to the realm!
:king:

HitAnyKey said:
The Evil Incas are attacking our peaceful nation of Chinese! They have Invaded the lands of our realm and threatened our citizens! :cry:
We look to our neighboring civilizations to help put down this terrible warlord assault and bring Peace back to the realm!
:king:

The mighty French nation cannot, unfortunately, offer military assistance due to the huge distances involved. :shake: Who are the neighbouring civs who may be able to help? Perhaps a peaceful deal can be brokered?

I had to format my games drive, can someone send me the IP address. Thanks.

Has anyone else noticed the game seems to be getting slower each turn? 1 minute on the game timer takes about 65 seconds of real time. This leads to an actual time of about 26 hours per turn instead of the intended 24 hours.

Is there anyway to sort this? Maybe the server needs a reboot? Or perhaps the turn timer can be changed to 22 hours?

Also, I hope giantguineapig is still playing, but I notice Egypt is now controlled by the AI...

Yeah, I noticed that ages ago. It's been 26-28 hour turns for a while.

and yeah, GGP is AI controlled... interesting...

I actually didn't even notice that about GGP being AI controlled. I'll have to take a look at that tonight.

As for the turns taking longer, that's because of people logging in and out. Every time someone logs in, the game physically pauses (timer included) until that person is fully connected. This adds delays to the game that stack up over time.

In the other 18-player PTBS game I'm in, the host changed the turn timer to 20 hours instead of 24 and that has helped a great deal with making the turns go better and a bit faster.

So all we need is for GGP to change the turn timer to 20 hours.

Top Bottom