Considering starting a PTBS 24 hr game based on Earth 1000 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficulty level will be noble, though I was thinking about making it one step easier for the civs that start packed into Europe, namely Germany, France, Celts, Rome, Spain and England and maybe the Vikings.

Got the game to successfully run pitboss and connected via my LAN. They dont make this easy, do they, lol.

A friend from work should be able to connect via internet tonight and we want to make sure the internet connections are OK.

I have the IP for the test server if anyone wants to try and connect and play around with some of the nations. Please do not password protect more than one civ though.

I will be restarting this thing over and over till the official start (9-17, God willing), so dont anyone get your hearts set on anything, heh, as it might only last a night or two. It is currently running one turn per hour for easier testing.

IP: 70.104.231.129

No pasword for now, though one will be used when this starts for real.

Go here to get the mod you will have to load to play the game

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=179246

Rhye posted:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...do=file&id=175

This map features my Earth with all the 24 civs in Warlords.

This time it is a mod, because it contains a modded DLL that allows 24 civs, and a different Celtic city names order (There was no room for Bibracte, too close to Paris, so they'll start from Entremont, like in Civ3). If you feel that the Celtic presence is still choking France and the other European civs, there's a 23 civs no-Celts version included.

The correct procedure to play is:
Unzip into \...your Civ4 folder\Warlords\mods\
Run Warlords
"Load a mod"
"Play a Scenario"

I hope to have the map uploaded to this thread Saturday, 9-9.

Please be patient, I just want to do this in a play-balanced way while still having a bit of an historical air to it, though it is far froman actual historical simulation by any stretch.

ForesterSOF said:
Have the MOD and all ready to go.

Tried to get in but must have been down at the time.

Well, that is bad news. The machine was left up all night. I plan to leave it up till the game starts so that each of us can make sure that we have the ability to connect prior to game launch on the 17th.

Did you get an error/message of any kind?

Are you running the Warlords expansion?

It is a Warlords scenario and you have to have the Earth24 mod loaded before trying to connect.

The IP is still the same, so I am not sure what could have happened, but I need to iron it out, obviously.

TELawrence said:
Surely the layout of this scenario will massively favour the Zulu, Incan, and Malinese empires? Not to mention China which will have the whole of Australia...

But I'm interested, definitely.

I placed barbarian cities along their perimeters to try and offset this outside-edge advantage. I have the edited map up on my PB game and will have a newly edited one up in a couple of days. Prospective players can go over it and make comments, then I will put a third map up on the pitboss based on your feedback. Cant promise to give everything they want, but if it seems reasonable I will do it. I'm especially concerned about overlooking anything critical for a civ and want to get it in there.

I am going to start copper next within everyones civ borders so that they can build spearmen. Iron and some early happiness resources will be within reach of everyone also. Again, I am sacrificing some historicity for play balance.

I also loaded the mod and tried to connect but could not. There was no error message just connection timed out. Just hope I put IP in right place.

richm said:
I also loaded the mod and tried to connect but could not. There was no error message just connection timed out. Just hope I put IP in right place.

The machine is still running and that timeout message sounds like it cant find the IP.

I will try to ping my server from work today and talk to a friend who is a network kind of guy.

CB Droege said:
A suggestion from an experienced PTBSer:

Don't put a password on the game itself. It annoys the players without adding any security or saftey of any kind.

I agree, but each person will password their own nations and the admin password is going to be used, obviously.

ForesterSOF said:
still timed out.

do you have a firewall that blocked me and richm.

I thought I took it down, but I think it has to do with the fact that my ports are still in 'stealth' mode; guess I will have to put them into 'open' mode but hoped to not have to.

Try again after 8 pm EST tonight.

Oh, and do we really want to give some people easier difficulties? Early wars have some advantages, and it sounds like the spaced out players will be swamped with barbarians. My personal recommendation is that Europe should have a much higher concentration of food and animal resources and grassland/grasshill squares, which reflects the fact that Europe had a very high population pressure from the early Middle Ages through to the modern era, which was in turn one of the reasons why Europe could sustain things like overseas wars and empires. In game terms, it means that cities concentrated in a v small area could numerically match the output of a wider-spread empire without disrupting game balance.

Checked ports with ShieldsUp and all but two are closed and those two are in stealth.

Waiting on hold to talk to techs right now to get the ports into open mode, but no success as of yet.

Will post as soon as this is straightened out.

OK, the tech guys at Buffalotech say that setting my router to DMZ will do the trick, but I am doubtful as when I scan my ports everything comes back closed or stealth.

Got a friend that can help but he is out for the night.

So if anyone wants to try it, I am going to have the game up tonight. Please post and let me know if you connect.

I logged in this morning with no problems. I picked Spain and played a turn. I put a password on and will let you have it if you need it.

I did not look around because I was too exited that I got in.

I am indeed looking forward to the start.

Well, then we, Houston, we have lift off, lol.

OK, I am going to tweak the map and post it, and restart the game probably this afternoon.

TELawrence, you made some good points and I think I have done that already to some extent, placing better concentrations of resources in Europe. But with lots of human players instead of AI, it might not be enough. Which is why I opened the discussion on it.

Let me post the map and then we can discuss things in more detail and come to resolution by this coming Friday?

Reminder; be sure to use the account name that you plan to use in the game when you make dibs on what nation you want to play. I am going to kick anyone that claims a nation that didnt have dibs on it and I have no way of knowing if you are really you.

Also email me the password you plan to use so that if any imposters try to steal your account name and play your nation (would people sink so low for a game? 'fraid they might) I can go in and verify they are you by using the password you send me. I'll kick whoever is playing the country if they are not using the right password and should accusations arise.

I will post here starting Monday as to what nations have been claimed, not who claimed them. I will email back to people what nation they got as I go down the list of recipients.

I also plan to set up a forum for players to use for negotiations, threats, claims of spheres of influence, boasts and other bloviations. That will be posted Sunday as well.

Logged in 2 times fine, third time (about 10 mins ago) I lost contact with the server... Map looks exciting - colonisation early is going to be a real priority for most.

I was wondering if you'd though about tweaking the techs available to some civs but not others for balance - or is that too complicated?

Some other things I noticed - India should have a fast worker, not a workers, and Zulus should have Impii, not spearmen, no? Oh, and the date didn't say 1000AD, but I guess you know that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom