Earth map, 18 civs, a story of a persian leader

update is taking longer then expected... ...over hundred years of war have passed (40-50 turns of world war)... ...turns tend to be quite long now (about 10 minutes per turn because of huge troop movements)... ...I´m working on it... ...the emperor is still under siege and loosing cities (15 -20 lost so far)... ...but only one core city was lost and could be recaptured some turns later...

I registered just so I could post here how much I enjoyed the story ... great job!

Got the thread bookmarked and am eagerly awaiting the rest of it :)

@ Venefyxatu:

Greetings in the forum... ...I am honored:blush: , thanks a lot...

@ all:

GAME´S OVER FINALLY

This last chapter will contain the following 6 posts:

World war part I: China sneaks through the back door
World war part II: The Battle for India
World war part III: High hopes
World war part IV: A big setback
World war part V: A new strategy
World war part VI: The final battle

The war turned out to be extremely hard for the Persian emperor and the Persian people. Lots of cities will be lost and starvation will spread throughout the whole empire. Hardest hit are the people living in central Asia. In the end, most cities are destroyed (not burned down) in the heat of the battle, because both sides (the emperor and the coalition) will loose and capture these cities numerous times. Africa suffers a similar fate but most of the cities there simply get burned down in numerous Chinese, Aztec and Japanese raids…

In the end, this war lasts extremely long. More then 150 years of fighting (70-80 turns) leave the world barren and infertile. The overall losses on both sides are huge; the emperor alone will loose almost 100 tanks during this war. But who will win?

Well, you will see.

…

The first post of the last chapter should be ready tomorrow (or the day after)…

After the discussion with the Persian defence minister and the Persian head scientist, I lay awake quite long before I finally fell asleep that night. Lots of thoughts were running through my head, but what I was lacking were good ideas to turn the situation to our favour…

When I awoke the following day, I hadn’t slept well. I kept on dreaming of tanks and virtual borderlines and alike. I even dreamed of the long gone happy times, when we finished the Kremlin in St. Petersburg and beefed up our economy via buying city improvements and other stuff.

During breakfast, I tried to clear my head, but these strange thoughts didn’t go away. I considered having some drinks to clear my head (what had worked quite well in the past) but it was only half past nine and I was supposed to present some strategy at an emergency meeting at ten, so this maybe wasn’t such a good idea after all. Since I hadn’t prepared any speech so far, I decided to simply write down what was in my head right now:

“
1. I want to have Persian tanks… … lots of them and really fast. Hm, I wonder why these things are called tanks… … Rumours are that all Chinese tanks are either grey or green… …I would prefer them in light blue, maybe even with a touch of purple… …and more windows, bigger windows...

2. Persia needs more units. Best thing is to buy these as we have done before with our city infrastructure… …I wonder if a revolution will have any negative effects on our productivity… …cannons, how could we best use our damn cannons…

3. Perhaps we could give up some cities that drag our economy down and are difficult to defend… …Hey, this sounds pretty professional… …now I seem to be stuck… …
“

When I handed my writings to the guy who should do the rework for my speech, it was already 8 minutes to ten. He seemed to be quite impressed with what I had produced, because he looked at it wide-eyed at first, and then ran away immediately with the paper in hand. We had to delay our meeting about 15 minutes, because he came back to late, but in the end, he did a quite good job:

“
… I know that these are hard times for Persia. But these are the times that will bring our people even closer together when we lead them with a good example. We will try to hold every single city and nobody will be left behind. Only when everything has been done and tried and a city can’t be defended at all, we will give it up (this was followed by a two pages list of cities, mainly in central Asia, Africa and all cities on islands)…

…In parallel we will try to research industrialisation, because this will enable us to build tanks of our own. We already have some quite clear and worked out concepts of building them, including lots of improvements…

…We have also worked out a concept of slowing any approaching enemy stack down with our numerous cannons, so our cities can’t be threatened directly and all inhabitants will be save (have I really written this???)…

…Our general strategy will be strengthened by hiring new troops all over Persia. To do so, we will revolt immediately to universal suffrage and everybody that feels like joining the Persian army will be rewarded with a quite high first payment…
…
“

With my great speech broadcasted all over Persia, Persia seemed to be prepared quite well for the war, because most people were now quite optimistic concerning this war and felt that we were doing the right thing (I love the TV generation...).

But in the end, reality proved our plans to be… …umh… …not so good, because Qin used a dirty trick and all our strategies crumbed to dust:

Qin landed some outdated raiding troops with 2 transports (6 knights and 2 grenadiers) in Africa. In parallel and two chinese cruisers started to take our sea resources there. Because we were directing all our efforts towards India (like planned), we had only two battalions of infantry left in Africa, but due to extremely bad luck we lost them both to the grenadiers…

Since we had moved all our troops towards India and were stuck in our revolution (still 4 turns to go) we were not able to fend of Qin’s outdated troops with our remaining three archers in Africa and most South African cities (5 so far) were lost and burned down within 4 turns…

We sent 4 cavalry back from the front to stop Qin’s raids, but we were coming too late:

Central Africa had to be also evacuated. Our only hope now was to minimize casualties and to take out Qin’s raiding parties as soon as possible, so I decided to send two more cavalry towards Africa.

When I discussed with my defence minister the actual situation later that day, he presented the following plan concerning central Asia:

pic. 68_1658 a.d. Central Asia.GIF

The general plan was that Central Asia had to be given up, up to the red line (so only the people left to the line will be left behind...), where we should form our defensive line. So far, no enemy units had been spotted inside our territory, but it was only a matter of time. Russian and Mongolian advances have already been scouted near the Russian border at Jakutsk…

The defence minister also described me the actual situation in India:

We were concentrating our defence efforts in Bombay and would try to hold out there until reinforcements would arrive.

So far we had:

1 infantry,
2 cavalry,
6 cannon (2 damaged)
2 longbows

About to arrive were additional 6 cavalry (our main army contained 12 of them, but 6 had to be sent back to Africa to stop the Chinese raids there) and 4 infantry…

pic. 69_1658 a.d. India.GIF

The first Chinese units already entered our territory in 1658 a.d. , but they contained only

1 tank
2 knights
1 infantry

so our chances of holding out were quite good…

This proved to be right, since the Chinese stack could be taken out at the cost of one cannon and our only infantry stationed in Bombay in 1662 a.d.

Good news was that the Chinese raids in Africa were stopped in 1664 a.d. and two cavalry were left there to form our defensive core army (a quite small one…). The defence minister presented me another defence line (red) in case that Monty (what was highly expected) landed somewhere in Africa…

Pic. 70_1664 a.d. Africa.GIF

The blue line showed the damage already done via the Chinese:

In the end, all 7 cities south of this line had fallen to them already in the first raid and were razed…

More news was coming in from our Asian front:

Russia had taken Krasnoyatsk 1662 a.d. and Jakutsk in 1664 a.d. and Mongolia would take Karachi next round. So that’s the Central Asian map in 1667 a.d.

Pic. 71_1667 a.d. Russian advance.GIF

This was also the year, when our revolution was finally through after 4 turns. Research had to be changed to Industrialisation immediately. Bad thing turned out to be, that we only could afford research at 50% without running broke…

Only two days later, news reached me in my palace that the first major Chinese stack had arrived near Bombay. It was that big, that the troops contained in this stack didn’t fit the page and I had to look the next page to finish the list and to see all 42 of them. To make things worse, this stack was backed up by a smaller one containing 4 artillery and some minor units. I immediately decided to get drunk. So far, my plans worked out (and I got drunk)…

Pic. 72_1667 a.d. Chinese advance.GIF

see you soon,

Snaaty

Great update, but it ends just as the things get REALLY interesting. That huge Chinese stack... Oh, my.

BTW, why are you researching computers in the last screenshot? Shouldn't you start discovering Industrialization?

The next day, my defence minister woke me up at 11:30. I had quite a big hangover. He informed me, that the situation in India was quite dramatic. Well I thought, who would have guessed that. But since I always tried to be nice, I nevertheless asked him to tell what he wanted to tell me…

So he gave me a quite detailed report of our troop situation:

At the time, when the Chinese stack was scheduled to arrive in Bombay, we would have

4 infantry
8 cavalry
6 cannon
4 longbow men and
2 archers

I just couldn’t help… …I had to ask…

“So what exactly do you expect to do with the archers and the longbow men?”

“Umh… …well… …sir, you gave order to move every unit to the front”

“Yes, alright, but if I remember correctly, we quit fighting with archers some 3000 years ago, and longbows, well… …they are more modern than archers and were about 1500 years longer in use, but that makes still about 1500 years of time in-between, you know?”

“Umh… …yes… …I know… …but you said EVERY unit…”

“I know very well what I said, but where the hell did you find archers and longbow men? Did you plunder a museum?”

“Umh… …noooo… …archers are still our main defensive force in most cities all over Persia, only some quite advanced cities upgraded to longbow men… …and some additional warriors are scheduled to arrive tomorrow to strengthen the defences in Bombay even more.”

“Warriors???”

“Yes, the first warrior battalion will arrive…”

“WARRIORS?????????????”

“Umh… …please…. ….emperor… …calm down…”

The rest of the discussion I didn’t remember…

What I heard was quite a shock. How were we supposed to stop tanks and infantry with some guys running around with clubs and bows? I always thought that our cavalry was outdated in this war, but compared to our defensive units, I started to see them now in a quite different light…

I spontaneously decided to skipped breakfast and had some drinks. When I woke up about 9 hours later, dusk was already approaching. My head was aching… …what was I supposed to do now? How could we possibly stop the approaching Chinese army?

So I mad a brave (at least in my opinion) decision:

I would leave for India immediately. I would take care of the situation myself and I would install my headquarters in Delhi to do so. I only had to inform my ministers (they were supposed to join me to keep the government running) and we would leave already the next day.

Most of them where quite unhappy (two even tried to run away) when I announced them this news, but in the end, I could convince ALL of them to join in (with a little help of some armed guards)…

Same day we arrived in Delhi, bad news already started to pour in. China would start their final advance on Bombay any minute now. I decided to stick to my plans and ordered all our cannons to advance on the approaching troops. We were quite lucky, since 4 out of 6 managed to retreat to Bombay after they had finished their mission of doing some collateral damage. Only problem was, that the damage done was more or less minimal, since 6 cannons wont do much against a stack of 42 modern units. So our defenders were now down to:

4 infantry,
8 cavalry,
4 cannons (4 more or less destroyed)
4 longbows
2 archers
1 warrior
2 tries
6 dogs
11 cats
(Since the defence minister insisted in listing the longbows, archers and warriors, I insisted in adding tries, dogs and cats)

Our defenders fought brave, but severely outteched and outnumbered, they were defeated in the end:

Qin never bothered to take out city defences with his artillery. He attacked directly with them and all 4 artillery were lost to our infantry. Then he moved in 2 infantry, but both were also taken out via our infantry. When he moved in his SAM infantry, our 4 brave infantries were already heavily wounded. Still they managed to take out 7 of them before the last of them finally fell. At this point our cavaly took over. Since Qin never was involved in a war up to this point, his troops seemed to lack some experience. Our war proved-cavalry managed to take advantage of this and they were able to take out a total number of 9 SAM infantry before they finally were brought down. The rest of the defenders… …well… …let’s put it that way:

They did not so good…

So Bombay, the Indian blocking city was lost in 1676 a.d., but at least we were able to deal quite a lot of damage to the Chinese main army. The Chinese lost in the initial attack:

4 artilleries
2 infantries and
16 SAM infantries

That made a total number of 22 units, about half of the Chinese main army…

Still, our situation was not looking good. With Bombay lost, the Chinese army now had access to the Indian subcontinent. In a quick emergency meeting at Delhi (which was sort of funny, since for the first time ever in a meeting, the guards had to be stationed inside the room to prevent the minister from running away rather then outside to protect them from intruders…) we decided to give up the Indian subcontinent completely. In a desperate effort, we would move all remaining troops to Delhi to try and hold this city (and to protect our very lives). All other India cities would be used as bait for the Chinese (no defenders) to buy us some more time, to move in fresh defenders. This worked out quite well and within the next days, we managed to bring in

3 infantry (produced in ancient Persia)
3 cavalry (our backup army from Central Asia)
3 longbows (arg)
1 warrior (AAAAARRGG)

Pic. 73_1676 a.d. Chinese invades India.GIF

With the remaining 3 Indian cities evacuated, a horde of Chinese knights (seemed like they never bothered to research military tradition) started to pillage the lands immediately. Due to the loss of 2 happy and one health resources, Persia was facing now quite heavy happy and health problems…

But the good thing was that China had taken the bait. They even had spilt their mayor offence stack in 2 groups. About half of them was advancing to the undefended cities, the rest was wounded and remained for 2 turns in Bombay, before advancing on Delhi. But still it seemed quite impossible to hold Delhi…

But then, good news reached us:

Our head scientist called and told us, that we only have to hold out one more turn, until we had researched industrialisation ourselves and would finally be also able build tanks. He used some lame excuse that it actually had taken longer then expected, and claimed that research had to be reduced to 50% due to money problems. But that didn’t matter much now, since finally we could build tanks (light blue ones with bigger windows) on our own.

Just when I was about to get drunk to celebrate this happy news, next news (this time bad ones) reached me:

Two Chinese transports were trying to round India, direction Africa, each carrying 3 infantry and 1 settler.

Pic. 74_1676 a.d. Chinese transports.GIF

Our whole navy was sent to follow (one cruiser which was evacuated from Bombay and the one which was patrolling Madagascar). We only hoped and prayed they would arrive in time and could destroy those transports before they could debark, or we would have to face a second front in Africa.

More news were pouring in… …thanks god good ones this time… …tanks could finally be produce… … but the downside of it was that our economy lied in ruins and it would take about 8 turns before the fist of them could be sent to the front.

More good news came in from central Asia later that day. Our defensive belt (the 10 cities we had evacuated and which we were giving up one by one) still was more or less intact (only 3 cities had been captured so far), because Russia and Mongolia proved once again great skill in military warfare and concentrated on pillaging every improved land-tile they came across, which slowed them down drastically…

But that was already the end of good news…

1678 a.d. I was informed, that our navy in fact managed to sink both Chinese transportes... ... only to spot a huge Aztec invasion force...

So the feared Aztec invasion force finally arrived in Africa and within 2 turns 4 cities in east Africa were razed. The Chinese we had been able to stop, but now we had to fight the Aztec in Africa…

Pic. 75_1682 a.d. Aztecs in Africa.GIF

Since Monty only sent 4 transports with more or less outdated units (cannons, grenadiers, elephants and knights), we were quite optimistic, that our inner defensive belt (see Africa screenshot with drawn in inner defensive line in last story post) would hold.

…

Only some turns later, it became quite obvious, that we severely misjudged the situation in Africa:

Pic. 76_1682 a.d. Aztecs reinforcements.GIF

The situation suddenly entered an extremely critical stage, because Monty disembarked another 5 fully loaded transports, and this time they contained modern units, mainly infantry and artillery…

Meanwhile, Qin ordered his first major stack to advance on Delhi. An extremely luck draw was that the first Persian tank could get buyrushed in Delhi, the same turns Qin started his attack. He closed in with

1 tank
8 SAM infantry
7 knights
2 artilleries

This proved that he also was no military genius, since he had spilt up his stack and also lost quite some time pillaging his way up to Delhi, so we were (more or less) prepared with:

4 infantry (one longbow was finally upgraded)
3 cavalry
2 longbows
1 warrior
AND (trumpets please)
1 TANK

In the end, we managed to take out the first stack, but we had taken heavy losses. All 4 infantries were slain, but again our cavalry did a massive amount of damage. Two even survived the attack. And best for last:

Our light blue tank (with bigger windows) prevailed and destroyed one of the Chinese standard models…

More news were coming in from Central Asia. It seemed that the Russian/Mongolian advance had come to a halt, obviously because they seemed to be waiting for reinforcements (nobody knew why they would do that because there were no defenders but only empty cities, but well we won’t complain). So we used the time granted and immediately sent some back-up units to our Asian defence belt (6 infantry that had been built while we were researching industrialisation)

China also had stopped their advance after the losses near Delhi and recalled their raiding parties from the Indian subcontinent back to China. Since they still had an incredible powergraph (said our spies) it seemed that they prepared a second major assault. Well, let it be so. This will buy us even more time and we decided to send some of our numerous units (=the next units we would produce) to Africa because we were deep in trouble there. We had a defensive belt in Africa, but no units in it. This made the word “defensive belt” quite meaningless so far…

Perhaps Monty’s advance in Africa could be slowed, when we would be able to deal him some first losses and he could be forced to regroup (I decided to put quite a lot of hope in this tactics, since Russia/Mongolia even started to regroup without encountering Persian troops and therefore NOT even making losses…)

see you soon,

Snaaty

Woah... This is… a good situation? 0.o Anyways, it's YOUR fault that I've joined civ fanatics and am reading this instead of doing my homework… YOUR FAULT! YES! *points* Anyways, hope you win!! =D

Why is Qin invading with bunch of SAM infantry :confused:

Qin is a Bazooka fetish :mischief:

U better win Snatty ;)

@ Lili?uokalan:

Greetings in the forums... ...You should really do your homeworks so you can rule the world tomorrow:D

@ Viperace:

The computer is simply dumb. Qin attacking with SAM-inf is still OK compared with Russia and Mongolia NOT attacking the emperors cities but running around and pillaging when ALL Central Asian borderland cities are completely evacuated (not a single warrior left there):crazyeye:

@ Nuclear kid:

Yup, I also think that the emperor would deserve that (but right now he is pushed back at all fronts)

@ all:

I´ll be off for two weeks from wednesday on but I´m trying to finish the next update before I leave

Abbondan all cities, except for Persopilis. While new Empires are made, the Emperor can win a Space Race win :lol:

Or, if you have the resources and technology, nuke Monty. :crazyeye: In every game I play, Monty or Huyana Capac (or both) ALWAYS seem to bee there, then they're mean to me, then I have to nuke them. :nuke: :goodjob:

I had just ordered some reinforcements to Africa, when news reached our new headquarter in Delhi, that a second major Chinese stack was advancing towards Delhi. Since the defence minister was missing now for 4 hours, I ordered immediately to have full surveillance on all trains leaving Delhi and already 2 hours later he was brought back in his office (which I decided to lock this time) by the military police…

So with our government now fully working again, we came up with a quite good strategy on how to defend Delhi:

China was approaching with two stacks mainly containing SAM infantry, altogether about 15 units. They seemed very badly prepared for this assault, because they had neither tanks nor artillery within their troops. With our defenders still heavily decimated after the first struggle to hold Delhi, we decided to wait inside the city walls for their attack, because our troops were much better fit for this fight, but clearly outnumbered. So far we could only count on two tanks, two infantry and one extremely longlasting cavalry. One more infantry would arrive via train from Kalkutta any minute, but still we would be outnumbered 1:3

pic. 77_1691 a.d. Delhi.GIF

Again we took heavy losses. Both tanks got destroyed (it even seemed that the big front windows weren’t such a good idea after all, because all approaching enemies concentrated their fire on theses windows…) and two battalions of infantry also went down. But the remaining battalion of infantry, backed up with our brave cavalry fought like mad and in the end we managed to hold of the Chinese once more.

Since we had turned down research to 0 after we were able to build tanks, we were making now about 700 gold per turn. This allowed to buyrush 2 tanks every turn which I learned to consider as very helpful in this war. Since the mood all over Persia went constantly down with this long war, I decided to raise culture in parallel to 20%, and our population was happy again (more or less…)

It also turned out, that the Chinese advance came to a halt after their second major stack failed to take Delhi. We even were able to destroy the surviving Chinese troops near Delhi within the next two turns with our buyrushed tanks (we changed our construction plans and left off the front windows). Things were looking much better now.

After the initial advance from China, Mongolia and Russia was more or less stopped some turns after we had reached tanks, this war entered a new era:

China seemed to have taken the lead and was about to form an anti Persia coalition and seemed to have installed themselves in the lead of this coalition. Although this seemed to have slowed down the attack speed of the coalition, they were doing now much more damage to our troops by coordinating their attacks better, but they didn’t advance too deep into our territory…

Main problem left now was Monty. It turned out, that he had planned his African raids very carefully (thanks to the treacherous oldest one) and was advancing with an incredible speed. It seemed that every time when we managed to bring down 5 of his units, another 2 transports were debarking 8 fresh units. So far he had already taken and razed 7 cities and was now threatening our inner defence belt.

pic. 78_1691 a.d. Africa.GIF

But since we were now able to direct some more troops towards Africa, we still hoped to stop Monty before he could raze any cities within our inner defensive belt.

Our troop stats in Africa 1692 a.d.:

Tanks 1
Infantry 5
Cavalry 2
And some outdated crap

This still wasn’t much opposed to maybe 25 enemy units approaching, but we still had 2 cities left we could use as bait and we planned to concentrate all our defenders in the strategically important hill city of Djenne…

But then, the first REAL good news came in:

pic. 79_1694 a.d. Qin.GIF

Qin seemed to feel the danger of the war turning after the brave Persian soldiers took out most of the Chinese offence army in India and tried to sue for peace in 1694 a.d. China even offer communism for peace. But I knew it… …deep inside my heard I knew it… …it was a trick… …a cheap trick to backstab us once more (I didn’t remember exactly when the backstabbed us for the first time, but I was quite sure that they have done it… …hm, not so sure if I really thought about it but now… …but they MUST have backstabbed us) So we declined…

pic. 80_1694 a.d. Kathy.GIF

It was the same turn, when Kathy also offered peace. She even wanted some money for it. And that after she had invaded us twice in the past!!! (or was it the other way round?) But since she still controlled 5 cities in Central Asia that belonged to Persia there won’t be peace for her.

Another good thing was that the surveillance situation of the Persian government became easier. Most had stopped running away now, since they thought themselves safe again…

Then, in 1697 a.d., when we just had managed to station 6 tanks and 2 infantry in Delhi, interesting news reached us. Scouts reported that Bombey only was defended with 5 SAM infantry. We reacted at once:

pic. 81_1697 a.d.  Advance on Bombey.GIF

This was our chance to gain control back over the Indian subcontinent. With riots still raging all over Bombey, the Chinese would never be able to hold off our tanks if we would move in quick enough. Only tow days after we ordered our advance, our troops marched again through the city of Bombey. The Chinese reinforcements arrive to later. Bombay had finally fallen back to Persia in 1697 a.d.. India was again under Persian control. We would heavily fortifiy the city of Bombey to hold of the Chinese from now on. Our main forces (which we will build soon) should try now to push Kathy and Dsching from the regions in middle Asia we had lost to them. After we had conquered our very first city in this war (we had lost 24 up to now), there was a great celebration in Delhi. I was already discussing plans with my defence minister how we would advance in Central Asia, when news reached me from Africa:

Djenne had fallen to Monty already in the first attack! All our African troops were slain, the city was burned down and Monty`s troops were now inside our inner defensive belt and threatening our core cities. We also had lost all our diamond mines to Monty during this extremely well coordinated raid and there were riots feared now in most of our big cities (the Persian population seemed to like diamonds very much…)

see you soon,

Snaaty

Great story as always.

'Panzer' in German means 'tank' right?
At first glance the build queue "Panzer" confuse me, I thought you were building the German unique unit by playing Persia :D . I wonder whats the name for the German UU if the regular tank is called Panzer.

PS:That old calvary rocks
PSS: In the diplomacy window, what they gave is on the right, while what we gave is on the left?

Top Bottom