Language translations for leader sayings

Thanks moyang for additional translations! I'll try to enlist a friend to help out with some of them in case clarifications are needed.

Azalnubizar said:
I think my last post might have been a bit misleading. "High German" is what somebody in the past once defined as "Standard German" or German. Anything that differs (compared to High German) is a dialect.
Ah, I see.

Louis XXIV said:
I can't speak for the time period, but I know ancient rulers (even ones that were seen as either God-Kings or messengers of the gods) would often address each other as "brother". The idea was that, among equals, they were addressed informally. Like I said, I don't know how the concern of Europe handled things (short of those who were actually related), so it could be different.
Yeah, that makes sense--but when meeting a leader for the first time, you'd think they'd all consistently use formal sense, they don't all do that. And I suspect that in most cultures being informal with a head of state is considered rude. Maybe if you're brothers/cousins/chess club buddies with another head of state an informal greeting here and there is ok, but beyond that, I don't think so. The most regrettable thing about Civ 5's leader translations is the inconsistency. Some leaders greet you formally PROPERLY, others informally accurately (and when expected), others jumble them up when they hate you (using the formal tense) and when they like you (using the ruder informal tense). I know that in many Asian cultures at least, including Korea, using the informal tense when speaking to a political leader is rude. Very rude. Very, very rude. XD

19Mellon73 said:
Modern High German is considered as the Standard German today.
- Middle High German (high as moutainous) was the southern Regions native Dialect.
- Low German Dialects (low as flat) -> northern Regions.
Martin Luther translated the Bible into German in his native High German.
In this way High German became standard German.
Northern Germans learned it as a "foreign language", hence they speak the purest
modern High German today
Interesting. Modern High vs Middle High. And it certainly is true that English isn't usually pronounced how it's spelled. It drives my English students crazy! O_o

@boehj

no problem = )... id be happy if u learn sth new. if i may say so, your thai is on some pretty extraordinary level. i myself am learning german and i cant understand bismarck as clearly as u could understand ram.

also, yeah we have way too much particle words that doesnt really mean anything, but would make the sentence weird if left without. like แล้ว... it basically turns the whole sentence into perfect tense..

I definitely have learned quite a bit from this thread. Also, thanks for your kind words!

:goodjob:

I was unable to get the transcripts earlier due to a bad case of the lazies, but here you go now:

Gandhi Attacked: दुर्भाग्यवश, मेरे देश मे हर इंसान अहिंसा के प्रतीत इतना वचनबद नही है जितना की में।
Gandhi Declares War: मुझें अभी-अभी सूचना मिली है की हमारे बहूत अधीक सिपाही आपकी सीमा मे घुस गये हैं।
Gandhi Defeated: आपने मासूम और असाह्य लोगों को हरा दिया।
Gandhi Hate Hello: आप क्या चाहते हैं?
Gandhi Hate LetsHearIt: और?
Gandhi Hate LetsHearIt2: जारी रखें।
Gandhi Hate No1: यह मान्यलायक नही हैं।
Gandhi Hate No2: आप शायद गंभीर नही हैं।
Gandhi Hate No3: क्या कहां?
Gandhi Hate Yes1: ओह... बहूत अच्छे।
Gandhi Hate Yes2: मेरे खयाल से मुझे यह करना ही चाहिये।
Gandhi Intro: भारतीय जनता की ओर से में आपकी ओर दोस्ती का हाथ बढाता हूं।
Gandhi Neutral Hello:में आपकी शांती की कामना करता हूं।
Gandhi Neutral LetsHearIt1: में सुन रहा हूं।
Gandhi Neutral LetsHearIt2: हां?
Gandhi Neutral LetsHearIt3: आप क्या कह रहे थे?
Gandhi Neutral No1: बहूत खूब।
Gandhi Neutral No2: नही।
Gandhi Neutral No3: बिलकुल नही।
Gandhi Neutral Yes1: ठीक हैं।
Gandhi Neutral Yes2: हम सहमत हैं।
Gandhi Neutral Yes3: बेशक।
Gandhi Peaceful: मुझे खुशी है की हमारे यहां फिर से एक बार शांती कायम हो गयी हैं, चाहें इसके लिये हमें कीमत चुकानी पडी हो।
Gandhi Requests: मेरे दोस्त, क्या इस इंतजाम में आपकी दिलचस्पी है?

Some other interesting notes:
- The puzzling Gandhi neutral No1 may originate from the English "Very well" in the context of dismissing a deal. It obviously doesn't translate so well, and the positive-sounding voice acting further defeats the purpose.
- Gandhi consistently uses the standard, lower-class "I" in his dialogue, as opposed to the upper-class one which is used by leaders and other dignitaries. This is not inaccurate however, as Gandhi always used the lower-class "I" to my knowledge, being the humble man that he was.
- In "Gandhi Requests", he says "My friend" as referring to a male friend. Of course, they probably wanted to save space and not have a separate line for female leaders, but lets just say that this may explain any potential enmities with Russia, China or England. :D

Thanks for the transcriptions, Sabretou, could you briefly check the parent post to ensure I put them in the right place? Some might be out of order since the order of your transcriptions was different from the order of the translations. Beautiful Hindi text. :)

Sabretou said:
Gandhi consistently uses the standard, lower-class "I" in his dialogue, as opposed to the upper-class one which is used by leaders and other dignitaries. This is not inaccurate however, as Gandhi always used the lower-class "I" to my knowledge, being the humble man that he was.
Well at least Gandhi using the lower-case tense is consistent. And it does fit his personality.

Still wanting to find a Latin speaker/Scholar for Augustus!

Also, could someone sticky this thread? Given how some people may spawn multiple threads asking for translations of a particular leader, etc. :p

why offer the english/american translations? anybody who can read this can probably understand spoken english as well.

Most of the other civs make me laugh when they're angry, but for some reason GW/Clinton grates on my nerves when he's angry. I like to take him out early just to silence his whines...

Thanks for the transcriptions, Sabretou, could you briefly check the parent post to ensure I put them in the right place? Some might be out of order since the order of your transcriptions was different from the order of the translations. Beautiful Hindi text. :)

Well at least Gandhi using the lower-case tense is consistent. And it does fit his personality.

Still wanting to find a Latin speaker/Scholar for Augustus!

Also, could someone sticky this thread? Given how some people may spawn multiple threads asking for translations of a particular leader, etc. :p

http://latindiscussion.com/forum/vi...sid=ec8f5c68e6fb8b0b89fc4b618409e866&start=20

you could try there, since emile was on that forum (at least for a while). maybe he left an email contact or something. even if not, you could just post a video with all of his sound bits and they could easily translate it for you.

Yeah, that's what I'd suggest. I was going to use my Latin dictionary (home for Thanksgiving, so I can pick it up) and go for best guesses, but I know someone else will do better.

The Hindi text looks perfectly angled from here, so we're done.

Also, I'm not sure about Darius speaking Aramaic. I'm pretty sure that must be speaking Persian - partly because it would be both illogical and insulting for Firaxis to not have the Persian leader speak Persian, but also because Persian speakers and Aramaic speakers... haven't been on the best of terms historically. :D

bryanw1995 said:
why offer the english/american translations? anybody who can read this can probably understand spoken english as well.
Not everyone here speaks English as his/her first language, and I thought it'd be nice to have the English-speaking leaders to compare with the others. Besides, not everyone knows where the sound files are located, and many will not have heard the "Demand" sound for one thing.

bryanw1995 said:
you could try there, since emile was on that forum (at least for a while). maybe he left an email contact or something. even if not, you could just post a video with all of his sound bits and they could easily translate it for you.
Cool! I will follow your suggestion, and Louis XXIV's, to register on the site and ask Emile myself.

Sabretou said:
Excellent, thanks for the confirmation. :)

Sabretou said:
Also, I'm not sure about Darius speaking Aramaic. I'm pretty sure that must be speaking Persian - partly because it would be both illogical and insulting for Firaxis to not have the Persian leader speak Persian, but also because Persian speakers and Aramaic speakers... haven't been on the best of terms historically.
Darius is speaking Aramaic, it was confirmed by 2K and Firaxis both. He's not speaking Farsi, the modern Persian tongue, as back in the ancient days Darius was the one who instituted Aramaic as the official tongue of the Persian Empire. It was quite a popular language, and you even hear Jesus speaking it in The Passion of the Christ(Mel Gibson's). It was indeed spoken even around Jesus' time!

This is some good work guys, but does anyone know what the point was of putting the foreign languages in the game?

Darius is speaking Aramaic, it was confirmed by 2K and Firaxis both. He's not speaking Farsi, the modern Persian tongue, as back in the ancient days Darius was the one who instituted Aramaic as the official tongue of the Persian Empire. It was quite a popular language, and you even hear Jesus speaking it in The Passion of the Christ(Mel Gibson's). It was indeed spoken even around Jesus' time!
Firaxis baffles once again. And here you have Ramesses speaking Arabic. :D

Firaxis baffles once again. And here you have Ramesses speaking Arabic
I don't know, I was surprised at first, but after doing some quick internet research (yes, including Wikipedia) I realized Aramaic was indeed the more accurate choice.

And yes, Rameses speaks Arabic, Coptic would have been better, but there are literally only a few hundred Coptic-speakers left. Finding a Coptic speaker would have to be funded by a research university or something, I do believe it's beyond the means for a game studio that will just be using Coptic for one voice. Besides, Rameses has one of the coolest voices in the game! (alongside Bismarck, Augustus, Montezuma)

Also, I'm not sure about Darius speaking Aramaic. I'm pretty sure that must be speaking Persian - partly because it would be both illogical and insulting for Firaxis to not have the Persian leader speak Persian, but also because Persian speakers and Aramaic speakers... haven't been on the best of terms historically. :D

Darius made Aramaic the official language of the Persian Empire. Let's not start this argument again, there are about a half dozen threads related to this subject. Send me a PM and I'll explain why it makes sense. If the leader was Cyrus, I would agree with you completely, but, with Darius, Aramaic makes a ton of sense. It wasn't done out of laziness or ignorance (finding a Persian speaker would have been far easier), it was done because it was the smartest choice.

Updated parent post with slight changes to Japanese translations, in view of translations from a friend of mine from Kobe, Japan.

Waiting on Emile's response. There's no email left on the Latin forum so I'll just hope he sees an email about it and replies. :)

Updating Augustus translations, people on the forum you linked helped out. :)

Also, I have a friend from Zimbabwe who said he can help out with Askia. Maybe he suspects Askia is speaking Swahili, *shrug*.

Mods, would you be willing to make this thread a sticky? :D

I agree with the sticky (or, better yet, a link on the Civfanatics main page).

My treasury contains little and my soldiers are getting impatient. *sigh* Therefore you must die. (Aerarium meum paucum continet et milites turbidi fiunt...*sigh*...iguitur debes mori

Is that what it was? Oh well, I got the "iguitur debes mori" part, which I think is the important part anyway. Glad to see how cool this thread is. :D

Yeah, it's cool to have it unravelled finally. I knew "mori" meant "die," so that had me intrigued from the beginning.

Maybe someone who will buy the Inca/Spain DLC can provide the Spanish, for someone (maybe me) to translate. My Spanish isn't amazing, but it's adequate for Civ leaders I think. As for Quecha and Nahuatl, we probably will never find native speakers of those languages to translate their sayings for us. Unless we track down the voice actors or Firaxis lends us a hand...maybe? Better translations in future? At least in Civ VI? :)

Yeah, I want to see how much of Isabella I understand. I took high school Spanish and, briefly, high school Latin and you can see how far the Latin got me (not very ;) ). But I also speak a little Italian. Thankfully, this time, we're guaranteed to have Spanish speakers on the board to translate it quickly. I hope it's Spanish Spanish and not Latin American Spanish, though.

BTW, although the translation is going to be very difficult to find, I'll point out that Nebuchadnezzar is speaking Akkadian, not Aramaic (it sounds quite different than that of Darius).

I really hope they'll have the Spanish Spanish in there too. I miss hearing the unique "th's". :)

Good point on the Akkadian. I always wondered why Nebby spoke very short lines, rather than the longer speeches other leaders resort to. It's probably because they had difficulties translating full sentences/speeches from Akkadian....very curious who the voice actor was for Nebby, and how they hired him/located him/what culture he's from. The notes on the DLC don't give his identity, do they?

Otto von Bismarck
Speaks German, though not the proper kind, according to Azalnubizar: "For example I have never heard anyone using the word "Bösewicht", which I have translated as "villian", when addressing someone - only when talking about a book or movie do you use this word."
Translation source: Azalnubizar and additions by Aldor and Beechwell, of Civfanatics forums
Intro: In the name of the great German people, I welcome you. ("Im Namen des großen deutschen Volkes heiße ich Euch willkommen.")
Attacked: Depraved Villain! We will bring you under the earth! ("Verderbter Bösewicht! Wir werden Euch unter die Erde bringen!")
Declares War: I cannot wait until you grow even mightier, therefore: Prepare for war! ("Ich kann nicht warten bis Ihr noch mächtiger geworden seit. Bereitet Euch also auf den Krieg vor!")
Defeated: Germany has been destroyed. I weep for the future generations. ("Deutschland ist zerstört worden. Ich weine um die zukünftigen Generationen.")
Hate Hello: Well, Speak! ("Also - raus damit!")
Hate Let's Hear It 01: Well?! ("Und?!")
Hate Let's Hear It 02: Go On! ("Macht schon!")
Hate Let's Hear It 03: Well, tell me! ("Na, sagt schon!")
Hate Yes: Well, ok. ("Also, gut.")
Hate Yes 02: It seems I can't refuse. ("Ich kann wohl nicht anders.")
Hate No: That is unacceptable! ("Das ist inakzeptabel!")
Hate No 02: You can't be serious! ("Das kann doch nich' Euer ernst sein!")
Neutral Hello: What now? ("Was nun?")
Neutral Yes: Settled! ("Abgemacht!")
Neutral Yes 02: Alright! ("In Ordnung!")
Neutral No: No. ("Nein.")
Neutral No 02: We do not accept. ("Wir nehmen es nicht an.")
Neutral Let's Hear It 01: What did you say? ("Was habt Ihr gesagt?")
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: Move it! ("Vorwärts!")
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: Yes? ("Ja?")
Peaceful: What do you think about calling it a draw? ("Was haltet Ihr von einem Unentschieden")
Gloat: Well, I hope you have learned your lesson. ("Na gut, ich hoffe Ihr habt jetzt Eure Lektion gelernt.")
Demand: Give us what we demand, if you want your wretched country to survive. ("Gebt uns, was wir verlangen, wenn Euer jämmerliches Land überleben soll.")
Request: It would be in your best interest, to carefully consider this proposal. ("Es wäre in Eurem Interesse, dass Ihr dieses Angebot sorgfältig prüft.")
Corrected some minor spelling mistakes ;)
When I heard Bismarck for the first time I couldn't stop laughing. His pronunciation, the breaks between some of the words and really his whole way of speaking are a little bit...well, uncommon ^^ Verderbter Bösewicht! :lol:
Also, "Wir nehmen es nicht an." (we do not accept [it]) isn't German, at least in my opinion. I mean, from a purely grammatical point of view it's correct, but it's...just not German, sorry I can't really describe it. He should have said "Wir nehmen Euer Angebot nicht an." (we do not accept your offer) or simply "Wir nehmen nicht an." (we do not accept)

Top Bottom