Players Guide to the C2C Combat Mod - Size Matters game option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have size mod on and i can't transport settlers with a galley

Oh wait i can merge naval units too , will that work ,and does AI know how to use it ? ...

yes and... surprisingly... yes! (sorta... not specifically but servicably yes.)

So I was a bit confused on some aspects of the merging. I am unable to merge anything past battalion level, is this on purpose or a glitch? Secondly I seem to be unable to merge some units such as archer at all. I looked through the op a few times but I can't seem to find anything explaining this.

So I was a bit confused on some aspects of the merging. I am unable to merge anything past battalion level, is this on purpose or a glitch? Secondly I seem to be unable to merge some units such as archer at all. I looked through the op a few times but I can't seem to find anything explaining this.

Sorry Ive found the new thread for this

Yes, you're right, splitting does give a slight advantage (maybe also from faster xp gain due to lower GV?), though this is balanced out by the higher maintenance cost as you mentioned ;) That said, I'm not sure how it works with civics that give you X free units.

Actually, XP gain is faster, in effect, with larger units.

Although they gain less XP than smaller units, they gain more than 1/3rd the XP of a unit 1/3rd the size. Meaning the best strategy would actually be to merge a worker unit up to level up for a while, during which time it works on longer tasks (to minimize wasted effort), and then split it up for efficiency and less wasted effort...

Now, I've mentioned this before, but I saw it come up in the SVN Discussion again as it related to unit limits. Splitting units is currently a little bit OP'd- especially early on in the game, when it provides huge advantages for exploration.

I *STRONGLY* recommend increasing the strength-gain factor when merging units, and increasing the strength-loss when merging units (obviously by the same factor), in order to encourage the AI to merge units more often and stay away from the unit limit... In this SVN (for the coming release) if there's still time, in the SVN's for the next release if there's not.

There are also tactics that only larger groups can effectively utilize, like combat reserves (essentially, some of the men in a unit stay back from the fighting in order to preserve their energy, then advance and swap out with the other men in the unit who were actively fighting when they become tired. This improves the combat effectiveness of a unit fighting in a prolonged engagement vs. a "throw everything at them" approach, and is especially effective when fighting a superior-quality unit in real life: as it prevents the men on the front line from becoming discouraged) and tactical flanking (this being distinct from the kind of large-scale strategic flanking seen on the map, and especially effective when fighting an enemy of equal combat quality but inferior numbers- your own center will hold long enough for your flanking elements to come around the sides of the enemy force, but the enemy center won't break so soon as for the flanking forces to not have time to get into position).

Regards,
Northstar

I *STRONGLY* recommend increasing the strength-gain factor when merging units, and increasing the strength-loss when merging units (obviously by the same factor), in order to encourage the AI to merge units more often and stay away from the unit limit... In this SVN (for the coming release) if there's still time, in the SVN's for the next release if there's not.
If you're playing on the SVN version then it's really as high as I'm going to go with it. Primary reason being that unique units like heroes and such become completely invalid on the battlefield otherwise.

EDIT:

However, you can modify this for your own files since knowing a full community would never agree on the severity of the adjustments when merging/splitting/quality upping etc... I made this something the more advanced user could easily adjust.

In GlobalDefines.xml in the XML file, just adjust this value:
Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>SIZE_MATTERS_MOST_MULTIPLIER</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>150</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
At the moment, this means a merged unit is 150% the strength of a non-merged unit. If you want a more 'pure' numeric translation, set this to 300. I warn though that in the later game this may cause some crashes due to some values exceeding integer limits. You can work with any value you wish here (even, ironically enough, making units weaker when merged by going under 100% - lol).

There is also no recognized motivation to split or merge based on the strength or unit count alone. It's purely a gamey mechanic at the moment that gives a simple motivator to mix it up so the player never knows exactly what to be prepared for. It will generally split as much as merge, with one exception being splitting to fit more onto a transport.

Yes, there is more need for AI in the structure of this modification. There's more need for AI all over the place and I'm soon to be building some platforms for more advanced AI behaviors in general.

If you're playing on the SVN version then it's really as high as I'm going to go with it. Primary reason being that unique units like heroes and such become completely invalid on the battlefield otherwise.

I'm *not* playing with the SVN version. So I take it you increased the scaling since the v34 release? (I haven't played C2C in a while as I've been waiting for the v35 release to pick it back up, so while I remember that splitting units was OP'd, I don't remember what the precise scaling was before...)

I hope you'll actually consider prioritizing promotions based on unit size, though. Having a "Tactical Reserves" promotion that makes a unit generally more effective when fighting against smaller units- but especially against units of superior quality-level, or a "Tactical Flanking" promotion that makes them especially more effective against units of the same quality-level would both be appreciated (there would also be some room for including modifiers against certain unit types. Tactical Reserves tend to be less effective against fast mounted units such as cavalry, for instance, whereas Tactical Flanking tends to be especially effective against skirmishers...)

Regards,
Northstar

I'm *not* playing with the SVN version. So I take it you increased the scaling since the v34 release? (I haven't played C2C in a while as I've been waiting for the v35 release to pick it back up, so while I remember that splitting units was OP'd, I don't remember what the precise scaling was before...)
Increased the scaling quite significantly yes. The math works a little differently at this point. There's a Size Matters v2 thread that details it all within the first few pages of the forum threads here.

I hope you'll actually consider prioritizing promotions based on unit size, though. Having a "Tactical Reserves" promotion that makes a unit generally more effective when fighting against smaller units- but especially against units of superior quality-level, or a "Tactical Flanking" promotion that makes them especially more effective against units of the same quality-level would both be appreciated (there would also be some room for including modifiers against certain unit types. Tactical Reserves tend to be less effective against fast mounted units such as cavalry, for instance, whereas Tactical Flanking tends to be especially effective against skirmishers...)
I've attempted to for now be rather generic with promos but there are definitely some unique ones available in the current Size Matters version.

@TB if this tread is now obsolete and you don't want people posting to it I believe you can ask a moderator to shut it down and provide a link to the new discussion thread.

@TB if this tread is now obsolete and you don't want people posting to it I believe you can ask a moderator to shut it down and provide a link to the new discussion thread.

No i have to, so let me know thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom