What have I gotten myself into?

peteg9699

Chieftain
Hello all.

On Friday, I picked up Civ 5 Complete Edition on the great Steam sale. I have long heard about this game from various other games I play and was always intrigued but never pulled the trigger. Paying $17 for Civ 5, both expansions and all DLC seemed like a no brainer to try.

Well, I had family plans Friday night and all day Saturday so I downloaded and installed Friday and waited until Sunday evening to jump in. I started playing around 8pm ET and before I knew it, it was 11:15pm. I did not even realize three hours had passed.

Being new to the game, I'm sure I'm making a TON of mistakes and will certainly learn from them. From what I have read, starting with America might not have been my best decision. I'll continue on for a bit and see what happens, I have certainly wasted more time on other things before blowing it up.

Are there any particular threads that a brand new player should peruse to gain a better understanding of the game?

FYI, I am more of a lurker than poster and will probably have a ton of questions. I hope to not offend anyone with what some will consider very basic questions but I truly want to understand and enjoy the entire game. Thanks in advance, and apologies....lol

As a player new to Civilization I strongly urge you to explore the game on your own terms (rather than reading Guides) and pop in here to ask a few questions that come to mind. We are a very welcoming community and most of us are always willing to help a new friend. Eventually you will truly understand the magical phrase One More Turn all too well :)

FYI, I am more of a lurker than poster and will probably have a ton of questions. I hope to not offend anyone with what some will consider very basic questions but I truly want to understand and enjoy the entire game. Thanks in advance, and apologies....lol

This thread is your friend for any basic Qs. No need to read through it all, just post a question there.

I wouldn't worry about your choice of civ to play at this stage. You're just learning the game, and the differences between the civs are something you will appreciate more when you have learned the game a bit better. For now, play whoever you want!

Hello all.

On Friday, I picked up Civ 5 Complete Edition on the great Steam sale. I have long heard about this game from various other games I play and was always intrigued but never pulled the trigger. Paying $17 for Civ 5, both expansions and all DLC seemed like a no brainer to try.

Well, I had family plans Friday night and all day Saturday so I downloaded and installed Friday and waited until Sunday evening to jump in. I started playing around 8pm ET and before I knew it, it was 11:15pm. I did not even realize three hours had passed.

Being new to the game, I'm sure I'm making a TON of mistakes and will certainly learn from them. From what I have read, starting with America might not have been my best decision. I'll continue on for a bit and see what happens, I have certainly wasted more time on other things before blowing it up.

Are there any particular threads that a brand new player should peruse to gain a better understanding of the game?

You think that's bad. I remember a night, way back with Civ2 when I finished a game at about 1AM, blinked at the monitor and then thought to myself, "Let's start another."

One word: RUN!

Before it's too late. Cut your losses ($17 for three hours, that's fair, call it a bargain.) and never, ever launch the game again. Delete it from your hard drive. Go get hypnotized so you forget the game.

Trust me, RUN!

America is a great Civ to start with - you get a powerful Gunpowder unit that is great for both offence and defence, just don't get used to tiles being so cheap!

America isn't the best, but they don't have any disadvantages.

Watching a lets play can help you grasp the more advanced parts of he game. I recommend MadDjinn, Marbozir or Quill18.

Basic questions are fine, make a thread of all the questions you have and people will happily post their answers, but try to avoid making clutter by making heaps of threads for many small questions.

Top Bottom