i dont think this works ...

code99

Warlord
Hello, i have a problem with a BUG setting. I had posted about this in the past (year or two ago) so some MIGHT remember this. The setting in question is BarbTech Fraction. As far as i know the way it works is if i set it to 0.0/0.1 the barbs should be pretty dumb with only a very small fraction of all techs unlocked and if i set it to 1.0 they should have all techs known by all players. I want the barbs to be as dumb as possible so ive set this setting to 0.0 but after a while in my game i noticed they were almost at the same tech level as me and im the only one in this game at modern era, the rest of ais are at classical and lower. Why is this not working?

Im sorry for the poor text formatting of the above post but im typing from an older phone, its not so compatible with this website ...

The BarbTech fraction is what proportion of techs civilizations know once they transition from barbarian cities to proper civilizations. The barbarian faction itself tends to keep pace just behind the highest tech player by getting techs for free automatically and this is controlled by something different.

This is most apparent a while after discovering mountaineering for instance - animals and other barb units will start moving onto mountains even if none of the AI civs are even close to having mountaineering yet.

So, if you set it at 0.0, what I think would happen (if I understand it correctly) is that once a barbarian city has reached the necessary size, and you haven't reached the maximum number of civs yet, it will transition into a proper civ, which will have absolutely no technologies. This can be bad because it means a newly formed civ laden with clubmen could be easily conquered soon after forming by barbarians using heavy swordsmen or something.

So yeah, BarbTech controls something entirely different from what it sounds like. So just set it to 1. It's not like a newly formed civ could possibly build up the requisite infrastructure to produce stealth bombers or something in any meaningful amount of time. Unless you have permanent alliances on and they form an alliance with an old established civ that's well behind you on tech. Then it could be startling when the older civ's stack of doom of 200+ flailmen and siege rams upgrades to rocket artillery and modern infantry.

Hmmm ... Didnt think BarbTech Fract did THAT ...

Well that sucks ... Do you know by any chance if its possible to make it so barbs stay dumb and not advance in tech as the most advanced player in game?

What i want is to have a game where there is one player that starts in modern era and the rest in ancient or something like that and the barbs should have the same tech level as the players that start in ancient era.
Currently this cant be done as the barbs get all tech from the most advanced player and they kinda crush the others ...

Top Bottom