Air & Water Pollution

Another idea, link to the other one.
But it would need a new tag for building : "Need <Property> below <number>"

Because, I dont know you, but a marina or a beach where water pollution is 1200... Not for me.
With so much pollution, I think even some fishing building cant work : all fishes are dead... So these building would have a req "Water pollution below XXX".
Same with Air pollution and aeroport or solar panel. If there are a sky black from pollution, they cant work. If the pollution is too much, maybe even farm will be impossible.

Best housing for rich people can have both : only poors want to live in a city where pollution will kill them. Maybe same with some tourism buildings
There is PrereqMaxProperties to restrict a building from construction if the given properties are too high but that one does not deactivate the building if the property gets too high after construction.

There is PrereqMaxProperties to restrict a building from construction if the given properties are too high but that one does not deactivate the building if the property gets too high after construction.

...but I'm sure that can easily be added if the XML modders are going to make good use of it...

Oh, OK. My idea was more a desactivation.

The replacement work too, Koshling, but can be a little more tricky. Everyone can easily undesrtand why Blackened Sky replace Solar Panl building. But for some buildings, it can be hardier to understand why a given pseudo-building replace a true bluilding, whul it's easier to understand a "it's replaced because Air pollution/Water pollution/Crime is too high".
As an example, Water Pomp buildings can be desacivated because of high water pollution (ans players will hate losing Fresh water in a city because of pollution...). It's easier to say "After 400 Water pollution" than "Replaced by this pseudo building not directly related"

Oh, OK. My idea was more a desactivation.

The replacement work too, Koshling, but can be a little more tricky. Everyone can easily undesrtand why Blackened Sky replace Solar Panl building. But for some buildings, it can be hardier to understand why a given pseudo-building replace a true bluilding, whul it's easier to understand a "it's replaced because Air pollution/Water pollution/Crime is too high".
As an example, Water Pomp buildings can be desacivated because of high water pollution (ans players will hate losing Fresh water in a city because of pollution...). It's easier to say "After 400 Water pollution" than "Replaced by this pseudo building not directly related"

Yes, deactivation was what I meant when I said it could be addressed if it was going to get used.

Attachments

• Polution.jpg
    Polution.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 111
Hills and mountains affect how air pollution is diffused. Basically because the city is on a "flat" square surrounded by "elevated" spaces the air pollution is trapped there and the normal diffusion that would contribute to a somewhat lowered city air pollution (and a somewhat heightened air pollution in the surrounding square) is happening to a far less extent. (From my observations).

Also while I'm not sure if this happen to be the case, the pollution caused by the mines on the hills and/or mountains surrounding your city square diffuses to the flat areas around them more readily than other spaces around them. As your city seems to be on a "flat"" square you are also copping a lot of extra pollution from the mines surrounding the city since there are very few other flatland squares within the area. Again not entirely sure if that is the case, but I have experienced a similar thing happen in a city when I did a Modern start in v32.

what ways are in the game to fight air pollution ? and water pollution ? There should really be listings under these concepts in the pédia, so that we have a chance to know how to fight / reduce/ produce less pollution, or flammability, crime and diseases, and the research priority one should set to combat those aspects. with 700+ techs, it's very hard to try to guess where/when one can do anything.

And the next game I'll play, everything will have been changed anyway. The mod really need some better pédia entries, with some guides for such concepts.
At least I think we need listings of building contributing positively to such factors, building contributing negatively, and the tech that allow their buildings. Could such lists be automatically generated ?

what ways are in the game to fight air pollution ? and water pollution ? There should really be listings under these concepts in the pédia, so that we have a chance to know how to fight / reduce/ produce less pollution, or flammability, crime and diseases, and the research priority one should set to combat those aspects. with 700+ techs, it's very hard to try to guess where/when one can do anything.

And the next game I'll play, everything will have been changed anyway. The mod really need some better pédia entries, with some guides for such concepts.
At least I think we need listings of building contributing positively to such factors, building contributing negatively, and the tech that allow their buildings. Could such lists be automatically generated ?

We would probably need a new set of pages but once designed they would be dynamic/ always up to date as all pedia pages are generated ultimately from the current XML where such information is stored.

@Hydro
Do we have a Freshwater Merchant already in the game? It could reduce water pollution around it.

@Hydro
Do we have a Freshwater Merchant already in the game? It could reduce water pollution around it.

Nope.

I have also been thinking. Perhaps water should be either a property like Electricity or even a Resource. I have not been able to figure out how it should work or if it should even be done. Especially when we have water pollution already as a property.

As I propsed in the Research and Securety Property thread (we should really clean up a bit and make either ONE thread for the new discussed properties or one thread for each property), Water should be a property and be verly valuable especially in desert regions and the TH era.

As I propsed in the Research and Securety Property thread (we should really clean up a bit and make either ONE thread for the new discussed properties or one thread for each property), Water should be a property and be verly valuable especially in desert regions and the TH era.

Why is water at a premium in TH? You mean on the moon? What happened to the oceans?

Yes of course that's saltwater but a) water has lots of uses other than being drunk and b) desalination technology does not have to be speculated as we have it already.

Nope.

I have also been thinking. Perhaps water should be either a property like Electricity or even a Resource. I have not been able to figure out how it should work or if it should even be done. Especially when we have water pollution already as a property.

Drinking water could be a very important resource. Perhaps properties could track it properly but there's two severities of difference in its lack that would be tough to manage.

1) There's no pure water but you're on Earth so if you're clever you can get just enough to get by anywhere.

2) There's no pure water but you're not on Earth so you're dead.

Why is water at a premium in TH? You mean on the moon? What happened to the oceans?

No, but now, with an exploding population and disappearing glaciers (that supplied a lot of people with fresh water) there is a strong need to find new sources of water. And yes, desalination is a fine concept, but it requires quite a lot energy.

There is already a property on plots called fresh water but it either yes or no.

No, but now, with an exploding population and disappearing glaciers (that supplied a lot of people with fresh water) there is a strong need to find new sources of water. And yes, desalination is a fine concept, but it requires quite a lot energy.

Small plants do require a lot of energy, but large plants work with just the energy from the sun. Think glass houses over salt water canals with the fresh water condensing on the glass and being collected.

There is already a property on plots called fresh water but it either yes or no.

Small plants do require a lot of energy, but large plants work with just the energy from the sun. Think glass houses over salt water canals with the fresh water condensing on the glass and being collected.

There is also "water generator" in future by combining Hydrogen and oxygen and freeze it with Liquid Nitrogen . That's why I wanted Noble Gases resource.

And yes, desalination is a fine concept, but it requires quite a lot energy.

That's what those who covet the monopoly over your water supply want you to believe, which is why it's the 'conventional wisdom' despite being quite false.

Seriously we are implementing all these barely-dreamed-of future tech buildings etc. and travelling to the planets and the stars, but are going to put current techs such as desalination in the too-hard basket? Sorry but no way.

We have Desalination Plant at Novus Chemistry already.

You can get Hydrogen from a Gas Giant and gas distilled carbon dioxide to get oxygen. Fuse both and you get Water.

Water won't be scarce for a while as long as both resources are avaliable.

Top Bottom