Players Guide to the C2C Combat Mod - Size Matters game option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faustmouse is absolutely correct. This is why there is still game balance. Strength acts more like a Richter scale where every point up is worth exponentially more than the previous point up.

The game balance will not break with realism if the all players can use the system.

Think of it this way... Strength is 1/3d the Unit's Combat Quality, 1/3d the Unit's Size and 1/3d the Unit's Group Volume. You're currently seeing it as only the Unit's Group Volume which is why it doesn't seem to mathematically make sense.

It represents the number of soldiers in group, thus i'm seeing it for what it is. A numerical representation of unit's ability to win and survive. Adding 200 % to get 20 % is what doesn't make sense mathematically, thats a fact man and thus currently there is no point using these merges but instead a hordes of only 20 % weaker masses. So you claim that adding more into group volume shouldn't be seen as a group volume issue ? Even less reasonable than adding 200 % makes +20 %.

Also look at it from the perspective not only of increasing Group Volume but also Decreasing it. If you have a Battalion (5) sized unit at say strength 9 and a split or merge reduces or increases the unit by anything more than 20%, then once you've split them down to Solo (1) you've got units with negative strength. The way it is now, 4 splits will get each unit a total of -80% strength. One more (which the game shouldn't allow even if the unit starts any higher than Battalion) would mean the unit has 0 str no matter how much strength it started with because it would have a -100% modifier. (Unless Size/Quality has the unit with some +20% modifiers to compensate.)

Adding 200 % to get 20 % still makes no sense. Above does not even address the issue. Just think about it. A unit has just arrived on the hill (+25 defense). Not any defensive addons, no moats, no forts, just plain little hill. It now has more strength that combined unit having thrice the men, material and power. More strength than three equal units. This does not make any sense in any aspect at all. Least of all mathematically. No use of blabbing about decreasing group volumes because it is not issuing about this matter, only running away from it. No use blabbing about sizes or such because they are the same. Soldiers of same size attacking and defending.

If, for your game you want to play with the numbers, the % modifier on these are located in the unitcombat file under the size, quality and group unitcombats.

Thanks for this, i will most definitely tweak them for my games. By looking at this file i see that huge unit size ( 6 normal units ) only makes 40 % increase in strength. Six times larger and only 40 % gain that a single forest defence bonus crushes by a 10 % ! Utter nonsense. It also makes no sense that there has to be three units to merge. Why can't two merge ? Why can't four ?

Give two units merging a bonus of 40 %, three units around 75 % and system will make sense. It won't break the balance but create it if all players can use the system, now the balance is heavily broken in favor of smaller units. Especially with surround and destroy on. Normally in games combining units is 1+2 =3, in this 1+2 is 1,2. 1+2=3 is much closer to truth and realism, although with units waging war i would make it 1+2= about 2.75 or 2,8.

Balance will not break with a reasonable and realistic system, it is created by it.

Have you actually tested in game what you are saying here? Try splitting your unit and then surround and destroy. They are MUCH weaker. And this is not 20% strength but 20% more HP as well. This is a HUGE benefit, WAY better than 20% strength. And for sure will it hit balance if you almost quadrouple the bonus for merging from 20% to 75%.

If you think that would be the smartest thing... Try it ONCE. Split a unit as often as possible and try to conquer a city that is defended with an equal defender. Let me know how it worked out.

Not often as possible. You are knowingly taking your debate to absurdity. I wonder why. Now the system just favors smaller sized units very heavily against bigger ones, thats all.

Plus now you are stating about city attacking, again trying to divert the plain issue here of two units of different sizes meeting in equal ground. Why do run from the plain fact that adding 200 % to get 20 % just doesn't make any sense ?

Adding 200 % to get a meager +20 % just doesn't make any sense in any respect and suggesting that it is logical or reasonable that mere forest defence bonus of 50 % beats the strength of unit that has six times more of everything than a defending unit is straight from Absurdistan. Remember that there is only a forest, no forts and no moats, just a forest and bang, 1 unit becomes stronger than six others just like it combined. Forest is a good place to defend i agree but one unit becoming 10 % stronger than six equals ?! Come on !

Surely you must see how senseless such thing is. Question is why is it so hard to admit.

Have you actually tested in game what you are saying here? Try splitting your unit and then surround and destroy. They are MUCH weaker. And this is not 20% strength but 20% more HP as well.

It makes no sense to add 200 % to get 20 % in HP either. Math says it all, no reason and realism whatsoever in this model. Three 3 str units will easily surround and destroy a 3,6 str unit. Even if a 3,6 unit attacks one 3 and manages to beat it, it will suffer far too much to be able to deal with the two remaining. A one 3,6 unit can lose to a single 3 unit in equal ground. Beating two 3 units in a row is rare while in reality it should be just the opposite.

This is a HUGE benefit, WAY better than 20% strength. And for sure will it hit balance if you almost quadrouple the bonus for merging from 20% to 75%.

It will create a reasonable and realistic system. How will it break the current "balance" when everyone can use the same system ? You are worried about the ai not coping with this, is this really the reason why you so stubbornly defend the ridiculous +200%=+20 %-model ?

More power is more power and adding 200 % doesn't make a meager +20 %. If you add three rifle brigades in real life together, you get a power of three rifle brigades minus somewhat depending on modifiers of current action. If those three brigades all get to execute battle plan fully, they might even make more than +200. Thats a fact.

Ok, you obviously haven't tested it and aren't willing to do so as well. The city attacking was an example, but it works equally well on neutral ground. If you want to increase the bonus for merging 3 units to 75% this would mean a 10 str unit would become a 17.5 str unit with 75% more HP than before. Who would win? Obviously... but why bother then? You would just merge ALL units and it becomes an absolute no brainer. This really adds a strategic layer...
But I see how pointless it is to argue with you as you haven't tested it and aren't willing to see it from a different point of view just because in YOUR opinon it doesn't make any sense. And you clearly haven't seen the difference between the 20% bonus here and +20% as you get from Combat II. Otherwise you wouldn't bring up your "argument" with the forest.
So I'll just leave you with your opinion until you tested it. You know how to adjust them now, so you should be happy.

Ok, you obviously haven't tested it and aren't willing to do so as well.

I have and state logical facts by results. You instead keep running from realistic logic.

The city attacking was an example, but it works equally well on neutral ground.

Illogicality works nowhere.

If you want to increase the bonus for merging 3 units to 75% this would mean a 10 str unit would become a 17.5 str unit with 75% more HP than before. Who would win? Obviously...

Obviously a size with far superior numbers usually wins. Whats wrong in realism ? One unit beats six others in forest ? Lalalaa !

but why bother then? You would just merge ALL units and it becomes an absolute no brainer. This really adds a strategic layer...

Another fine "example" taken to absurdity. Adding +200 % of the same never equals a mere +20 %.

But I see how pointless it is to argue with you as you haven't tested it and aren't willing to see it from a different point of view just because in YOUR opinon it doesn't make any sense.

In real world's and life's opinion adding +200 % of the same does not equal +20 %. Give ONE good and justified argument why do you think this is in any way reasonable when it has absolutely no connection to logic, math, realism or anything in real world. 1+2 is three, not 1,2 and not 1,6 veiled in multiple str/hp-gimmicks. It is three and will be, no matter how much you test and try it.

And you clearly haven't seen the difference between the 20% bonus here and +20% as you get from Combat II. Otherwise you wouldn't bring up your "argument" with the forest.

You can keep thinking that it is ok for six units likely to lose to one in forest and very rarely to win two but it has nothing to do with realism or math. As i stated bfore, this combining idea is great, only unrealistic modifiers need to be fixed and it is great that they are freely modifiable. Hopefully ai handles it.

lol

It's not that I don't understand how you're viewing the math Reisk@. Obviously nothing I can say about my understanding of the combat mechanism can sway you from the box in which you are thinking. So I'm not going to continue arguing the point. Faustmouse has made many good counterpoints and I'm glad to see someone 'gets it' as thoroughly as he does.

The major flaw here is that thinking that 3 1 pt units are anywhere equivalent in power to one 3 point unit. You could take about 9 1 pt units up against a 3 pt unit and it's still a maybe as to whether the 3 pt unit would emerge victorious or not (and I'm saying this as if all units involved in this equation have no combat modifiers in play.) This is particularly true when the 3 pt unit has 3 times as many HP. I think at that point the 3 pt unit is clearly going to defeat FAR more than 9 1 pt units.

What you must understand is that the difference in strength between one unit to the next is very potently weighting the odds in favor of the unit with greater strength. The RATIO is what is evaluated for the basic chance to hit and the amount of damage the units deal each other. It's not the same as a 1 pt unit has a base 10% chance to hit and deals 1 pt of damage every round while a 3 pt unit has a base 30% chance to hit and deals 3 pts of damage every round. It's more based on the ratio. So a 1 pt unit and a 3 pt unit are facing off. You take the 100% chance overall and divide it out according to the ratio for the chance to hit (an approximation but basically how it works) and you end up with 75% chance of the 3 pt unit to hit every round and 25% chance of the 1 pt unit to hit every round. You do similar with damage.

It's the way combat plays out that makes the system make sense... but I urge you to split all your units to the max if you think that's going to make you more formidable. It has its uses to take such an approach but survivability of units is not its strong point.

Faustmouse has made many good counterpoints and I'm glad to see someone 'gets it' as thoroughly as he does.

lol

The major flaw here is that thinking that 3 1 pt units are anywhere equivalent in power to one 3 point unit.

Three 1 str units put together make a near 3 str unit in reality, not 1,2. How major flaw does it take not to understand such simplicity ? :)

What you have created with this excellent tool of merging that nicely eliminates the micromanagement of huge pile of units is a little mindset box that spawns unrealistic bonuses without representing the true strength of a unit that has been tripled in strength.

You could take about 9 1 pt units up against a 3 pt unit and it's still a maybe as to whether the 3 pt unit would emerge victorious or not (and I'm saying this as if all units involved in this equation have no combat modifiers in play.) This is particularly true when the 3 pt unit has 3 times as many HP. I think at that point the 3 pt unit is clearly going to defeat FAR more than 9 1 pt units.

Very same applies if you let your system represent the true str of combined units. I edited them all with a rough 175 % increase / tripling while little reducing other bonuses. Now units represent their real str instead of 3 3 str units going to 3,6.

What you must understand is that the difference in strength between one unit to the next is very potently weighting the odds in favor of the unit with greater strength.

As it should be, thats only realistic. Str represents the power of units and thus 'surprisingly' greater str weights heavily to the side of winner.

The RATIO is what is evaluated for the basic chance to hit and the amount of damage the units deal each other. It's not the same as a 1 pt unit has a base 10% chance to hit and deals 1 pt of damage every round while a 3 pt unit has a base 30% chance to hit and deals 3 pts of damage every round. It's more based on the ratio. So a 1 pt unit and a 3 pt unit are facing off. You take the 100% chance overall and divide it out according to the ratio for the chance to hit (an approximation but basically how it works) and you end up with 75% chance of the 3 pt unit to hit every round and 25% chance of the 1 pt unit to hit every round. You do similar with damage.

Size or strength have little to do with accuracy or a chance to hit in a face off. Smaller unit just doesn't have the str enough to beat unit triple the size. It is a easier to hit a bigger mass but a bigger mass also has much more barrels to try hitting a smaller mass so accuracies are pretty even. Just accept that in reality unit str nearly triples if it's size is tripled and may even exceed this in favourable conditions. Why on Earth is this plain and simple fact so hard for you to accept or represent realistically. +200 in unit size is not +20 % in str. Never is and never will be. If you have made the hp to triple as it should , why not str ? Does not make any sense.

but I urge you to split all your units to the max if you think that's going to make you more formidable.

Another absurd comment taken to extreme. Your current system encourages this but you won't supply the masochists needed for such micromanagement. It is quite a joke to create a great tool to decrease micromanagement and enhance gameplay and make it such that it heavily discourages the use of itself.

Still awaiting one good reason from mouse or anyone why the str should not be represented realistically and properly and why it would break the balance.

This is particularly true when the 3 pt unit has 3 times as many HP.

If hp triples, why not str ? This is very weird mind box that you are in.

Now all we need is this merging option to include all or practically all the units and a good ai to handle it. Luckily the numbers can be changed. Then C2C will be even better than ever before. :)

Btw, what is ai's current capability to handle this size matters ?

Is that the true reason why real str values are so shunned among some ? That ai can't handle them ?

No... the 'real' reason that we must keep to the 20% modifiers is that if you don't, you enable units to drop beneath 0 str which will cause a crash or completely mute many fighting units. Have fun with that. The other 'real' reason is to not make it better or worse to split or merge - just different in strategy with different risks. It's also due to the dynamic harmony of modifiers between the three size matters combat class categories - how they all keep each other in balance.

I'm not going to keep telling a blind man what the lay of the land looks like only to have him argue with me that his logic is a superior way to explain the road ahead than my eyes. For all you've argued you've not listened at all. I get what you're saying but as a player even under the current system, I'd STILL prefer to merge my units rather than split them if I'm seeking greater power. When you can understand why, you might understand why I didn't go with such a multiplicative method as you demand it be. It's not that I hadn't started off thinking similarly to you however. It took further insight to understand the flaw in the concept you propose. I've tried to share that insight but you gleefully ignore it. What's the point of further discussion on the matter?

And the AI does still need to be developed. But it shouldn't have to matter too greatly. The way its designed a player can very validly never merge or split and do just fine. Developing AI for this system is indeed one of my highest priorities but unfortunately I've found another priority even higher... fixing our OOS errors.

Riesk@ the way I think the combat system works is that it greatly favors stronger units. So a unit with 12 strength has a 50/50 chance of beating 3 units with 10 strength. To get a better idea I would suggest checking out the combat log after you attack somebody. I know it's not the most logical of systems but I don't think you can change the base combat system as it's written in the source code.

You have to see that 1+1 is not always 2. There are a lot of other effects to consider meaning you cannot simply add up the numbers (while I still think that it could be something more than 20%).

On a very different topic:
The health bars become "screen filling" in the late game again. While it is not game breaking it is, umm, not looking too nice ;) ...

Health_Bars.jpg

No... the 'real' reason that we must keep to the 20% modifiers is that if you don't, you enable units to drop beneath 0 str which will cause a crash or completely mute many fighting units. Have fun with that.

So all this illogical fuss from you because the system can't handle realistic values and linearity within group sizes. Wow. Btw, i "had fun" with those and game didn't crash. I just tweak the smaller groups so that they are very weak but above 0. After all, a one little ship or a single man with a stone practically is a 0 str unit. Pain here is that some units can be grouped and some cannot and there is no indication other than producing them and trying, clearly the system needs more work. Merging of any number of units should be definitely possible as it is in real life but i wonder if this system handles that either. If not... well... in games where there are units waging war, there have been engines that allow stepless grouping of units for decades. 'You must have three, not five, four or two but three' feels so artificial. Unrealism and that only some units can be merged is still the worst here and of course that this system deals with a party of ships and party of men the same way, thus forcing them under the same set of merging rules, multipliers and variables. Definitely not good.

The other 'real' reason is to not make it better or worse to split or merge - just different in strategy with different risks. It's also due to the dynamic harmony of modifiers between the three size matters combat class categories - how they all keep each other in balance.

Correct str values will not break any harmony or balance nor do realistic systems break the joy of playing.

I'm not going to keep telling a blind man what the lay of the land looks like only to have him argue with me that his logic is a superior way to explain the road ahead than my eyes.

Not going to or can't ? :) You see that +200% still does not equal +20 %, even with all the "other hidden" gimmicks. Masses of games from previous decades have solved this issue with just banging the units in one group and adding their values together. While not totally realistic, this age old system is far better and more realistic than this current construction. Hp triples but str does not because the system can't handle it. Meh and Bleh, crappy system then. How about a simple decades old system that just bangs the units and their values together ? Again it really feels that you are tripping into your strange need for overly excessive complexity where it is not needed.

For all you've argued you've not listened at all. I get what you're saying but as a player even under the current system, I'd STILL prefer to merge my units rather than split them if I'm seeking greater power.

I can't listen the text but i certainly have read yours. :) Me too but not with this system.

When you can understand why, you might understand why I didn't go with such a multiplicative method as you demand it be. It's not that I hadn't started off thinking similarly to you however.

Not one good reason have i seen why make a simple merging of units so unrealistic and so complex. Heavy nerd-disease i guess and in your post you admitted that your below 0-system can't handle the realism. These really are not demands, you do with your product what you wish but a passionate amazement as why on earth to make such a awkward and unrealistic system when better and far simpler ones have been around for decades. Just bang them together and add up the values.

Already back in mid -80, i could for example take separate "armies" of 10 infantrymen, 13 knights, 2 catapults and five more infantrymen and group them neatly at will with few clicks into any combos i liked. After that, countless games have used a simple just bang them together and add up the values-system. Very tried, working, realistic and simple system it is. It now really amazes me that this hasn't been seen in any core Civ games. Hey ! We too can allow unit grouping and create a whole new strategic layer ! I guess it just didn't occur to them or they ran into ai-problems. Still, countless games have managed to make very allowing and free groupings and units combinings very succesfully into the heart of their engines.

I think that the very core, the heart of Size matters should be this beautiful simplicity, not clumsy you must have three-weirdness. You could make bonuses, addennums and other gimmicks working on the side of that. Thats how i would do it but hey, its your product. Just my two merged cents, that have simple wisdom you can't deny. :)

It took further insight to understand the flaw in the concept you propose. I've tried to share that insight but you gleefully ignore it. What's the point of further discussion on the matter?

Now thats a laughter. No "further insight" whatsoever is needed to see that a decades old 'just bang the units and their values together'-system is far better than this one. Quite a many ais in wargames have also been able to cope with it. You are desperately trying to invent a very complex wheel here and ending up with blatant unrealism and ridiculous you must have three-rules. Adding more and more complexity isn't definitely always really more.

" Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away "

You might want to consider the wisdom in the game. :)

And the AI does still need to be developed. But it shouldn't have to matter too greatly. The way its designed a player can very validly never merge or split and do just fine.

Big reason why i really want to use this is a elimination of micromanagement and ofcourse a convenient and most of all realistic way to give units punching power.

Developing AI for this system is indeed one of my highest priorities

Excellent. When the ai can handle a system, realistic modded srt values will certainly not break the game and if humans play with the realistic values on, oh what a joy of realism it is.

but unfortunately I've found another priority even higher... fixing our OOS errors.

Nuisance from svn added after V34 i presume, another good reason not to use constant svn patching.

Oh, another thing came to mind about Size matters.

With this, a possibility of merging is starting to be as crucial info as the unit's strength to see before building one. If all units will come under the possibility of merging, then this is just a question of time and will fix itself. Now there are some oh fk these units cannot be merged-issues until a player can know and remember what can and what can't be merged.

The reason this underlining of power of bigger units intrigues me, among it's unrealism and cumbersomeness of course, is the fact that in combat and warfare, many times smaller units really have no chance at all if they get into a fight with brigade, let alone division,sized units on equal grounds. No chance, nada. Maybe few individuals may manage to escape but thats it. Smaller units will be annihilated and fast.

Ask Sun Tzu or anyone, in open ground the numbers crush. Defender that is many times smaller, must really have unusually good advantages and several of them in order to even have a chance of winning.

+200 % just is far more than +20 % in str, no veiled side gimmicks enough can be given to compensate this in any name of realism without going into extreme absurdity. Just bang em together and add up the values-system is so much simpler and more realistic.

Nuisance from svn added after V34 i presume, another good reason not to use constant svn patching.

Not really some those OOS errors and other errors we are fixing are old but they where never got fixed.

You have to see that 1+1 is not always 2. There are a lot of other effects to consider meaning you cannot simply add up the numbers (while I still think that it could be something more than 20%).

On a very different topic:
The health bars become "screen filling" in the late game again. While it is not game breaking it is, umm, not looking too nice ;) ...

View attachment 371375
Interesting... numerically, it shouldn't look any different than it would on a 'normal' game based on the way it divides back to basic values there... I wonder if it has to do with units that have more than 100 hp? I suppose I could easily get it to divide further than the standard to give a bit more range there. There are still aspects of this I can't manipulate. But I can look at the formula I CAN manipulate and see what I can do perhaps. I'd almost prefer they all had basically the same width and it was all just a matter of ratios within that width.

So all this illogical fuss from you because the system can't handle realistic values and linearity within group sizes. Wow.
Well... if we were going to go with a mechanism that operated the way you're proposing, we'd have to take the following steps:
1) Adjust the modifiers to be all positive from the first level of each category upwards rather than zeroing out at the 5th stage.
2) Assuming we did make a +200% per category adjustment then we'd have to change the overall divisor of end total str to get the base values of the units to reflect (mostly) the same as the core mod (a priority in developing this option.) So lets see... 5 * 200% = 1000% * 3 categories = 3000%. So we'd just have to divide the end total of all unit strengths by 3000 to get our units to reflect similar 'base' values. Could be done but I do worry about potential overflows at higher totals. If you get a unit with lets just say 150 strength, size category 8, quality 8, group volume 8, each at * 200 to the modifier, then that's 1600 * 3 = 4800 * 150 = 720,000... I suppose we still have some margin before overflow... So it COULD be done. A 200 strength unit with size Category 10, quality 10, group volume 13 would be about the maximum possible (for now) so that would end up being (before division which is where we must be concerned about integer overflows) 2000 * 3 = 6000 * 200 = 1,200,000. Should be fine I suppose but it doesn't leave us much room for the galactic era (strength would never be able to be changed to something other than a base integer).
3) All three categories would need to progress the same way. A +200% gain from a quality promotion would make it pretty obvious you'd select that - no 'interesting' decisions here.
4) We'd of course have a system where there is no benefit to splitting but lots of benefit to merging so I might as well program the AI to produce as many troops as it can and make sure to merge them as much as possible, which was not the goal of the structure but I can see how some might want an option that acts in this manner.
5) We'd also have to keep in mind that the interplay between unit types will suddenly become very second fiddle to how many of one given unit type could be produced. Who cares about cross stacking your units when you can blast through any clever unit type combinations in a stack simply by making one super powerful unit? More important to have many of one type this way then it is to have a well designed combination of unit types in your stacks. This might not be as bad an effect as I think it would be but it's part of the balance problem I was talking about. If an adjustment in the game influences strategic decision making too much you're taking away from the original strategies built into the game structure... I was not wanting to overwhelm the pre-existing game design. Game balance concerns are not ALWAYS about maintaining conflict equality.
6) Also recognize that the math may very well play out much the same way as it currently does since, again, a unit's power would still be a reflection of its base, modified by 1/3d its size, 1/3d its quality, and 1/3d its group volume. A 3 pt unit would really be a 3 pt unit with a +3000% modifier divided by 3000. You'd only be adding 200 more to its overall modifier then dividing again by 3000 so you'd have 3 * 3200 / 3000 which = (wait for it...) a final of 3.2. Huh? You mean to say that it would be LESS than the 20% modifier is now (which leaves the unit at 3.6)??? How DOES this math make sense?

Think about it.

Of course, let's think this through again... perhaps 300% is what we should really be using right? The unit is 3 times the size so 300% modifier right? Ok. So then if we start at 0% modifier for rank 0 and then go with a 300% modifier, 300 * 5 for each rank to get back to the current 0 balance point = 1500 * 3 for three categories = now we have a divisor of 4500 for the amount that the unit will be modified to get the unit back down to its base value for the display on most units. Ok so then we have a 3 point unit with rank 5 on all. So now we have a unit that is multiplied by 4500 then divided back down by the balance point modifier of 4500 and it's still displayed as a 3 pt unit in-game. So then you add a +300% modifier from a merging. So now you have a 4800% overall modifier. 3 * 4800 = 14400 then divided back down by 4500 then we have... 3.2 again.

Wait... does this mean that this system would always give a .2 strength adjustment rather than an actual percentage modifier the way it works out? Let's do the same math with a 5 pt unit... 5 * 4800 = 24000 then divided by 4500 = 5.3... No... that's not it. hmm... this must be the actual realistic value adjustment when you have a system where strength IS considered to be the sum total of base overall damage and accuracy homogenized into a score we call strength, then modified by 1/3d the unit's size factor, 1/3d the unit's combat quality (mental preparedness to be in a fight), and 1/3d the unit's group volume.

Upon THIS analysis, I'm almost thinking 20% modifiers are too much as an alternative method of approximation but of course the math is not as heavy on the machine to give this sort of approximation instead.

OR... perhaps you mean the first category would be modified by +200%. Then the next would be 200% OF 200% which of course would be 20000%. Then the next would be 200% OF 20000% which now you can see how we start to enter into an integer overload on base units.

Have you noticed how the modifiers you suggested only make sense when merging? If you split even once you have a unit with less than 0 strength (which will default to a minimum so you won't get a negative strength unit.) So whether you have a 3 pt unit or a 300 pt unit you still have 3 units with less than 0 strength if you split them once (provided you have done what the whole purpose of the adjustments are which is to have all three categories balance against each other thus all have 175% adjustments at each rank and you have a unit that is balanced between all three and doesn't already have an overall rank +1 over the balance point of 5 among all three.) Seems to work just fine for modifiers moving UP the chain but moving DOWN them you have a problem. This is because the modifiers are additive rather than multiplicative. When moving down a step you don't get a unit divided by 175%.

So we would thus have to also:
7) Alter the code so that it's multiplicative rather than additive. THAT would be a very significant change and WOULD often lead to overflows because THEN you have a progression of +200% at the 6th stage, then +200% OF 200% at the 7th, then +200% OF 200% OF 200% at the 8th. Would this be more realistic? Sure... but it would lead to HUGE base values that would easily overwhelm the few million points we need to stay within the integer limits.

Soooo... here we are with the decisions that have been made and you know what? The combat system supports it very well AS IT IS and as I have not altered it to begin with - at least not this aspect of it as it is the core of what makes Civ IV combat what it is - the ratio based combat determination mechanism.

Btw, i "had fun" with those and game didn't crash. I just tweak the smaller groups so that they are very weak but above 0. After all, a one little ship or a single man with a stone practically is a 0 str unit.
Curious to see what kind of progression you use and how it 'gets around' the problems explained above.

Pain here is that some units can be grouped and some cannot and there is no indication other than producing them and trying, clearly the system needs more work.
There is an indication. It's located in the definitions of the unit's unitcombats which is where the determination of whether a unit can merge or split or not exists. There are some deep technical problems with enabling all units to merge or split that's based on the many many many tags and unit abilities we already have that would need to be also modified as if they were base numbers like the base strength itself if we were to allow those unit types to merge/split. That would mean a LOT of new tags - quite possibly too many to handle, as we'd need modifier tags to many of the tags we already have. Healing abilities, City Defense Bombardment damage and property modifiers are just a few that come to mind. Even if a deeper evaluation proves there aren't so many of these as I'm thinking there would be, each one would be a very significant amount of new coding. The Property Modifiers are the ones that take up the majority of that complexity. Perhaps eventually they can all be addressed over time and it would then make more sense to re-enable merge/split on the units where the reasons for denying them have been overcome.

Merging of any number of units should be definitely possible as it is in real life but i wonder if this system handles that either. If not... well... in games where there are units waging war, there have been engines that allow stepless grouping of units for decades. 'You must have three, not five, four or two but three' feels so artificial. Unrealism and that only some units can be merged is still the worst here and of course that this system deals with a party of ships and party of men the same way, thus forcing them under the same set of merging rules, multipliers and variables. Definitely not good.
It's a bit gamey, sure, but in some ways that's intended so as to greatly simplify the system that is already quite an endeavor not only to design but to comprehend. Of course, you're welcome to learn programming and figure out how to design a better version.

Not going to or can't ? :) You see that +200% still does not equal +20 %, even with all the "other hidden" gimmicks.
Refer to the above musings.

Masses of games from previous decades have solved this issue with just banging the units in one group and adding their values together. While not totally realistic, this age old system is far better and more realistic than this current construction. Hp triples but str does not because the system can't handle it. Meh and Bleh, crappy system then. How about a simple decades old system that just bangs the units and their values together ? Again it really feels that you are tripping into your strange need for overly excessive complexity where it is not needed.
Those systems you speak of are not so overly concerned with an odd combat resolution mechanism in the first place. They are simpler from the base of it. Civ does not lend itself to this at all. For example... take an axeman and a spearman unit and merge the two together and what... just add the modifiers so now you have an axe/spear blend that has the best of both worlds? Or do you average the two sets of modifiers (I'm speaking of the anti-melee and anti-mounted combat modifiers here.) If you do that, how do you then factor in promotion modifiers that were on one unit and promotion modifiers that were on another? How about the modifiers from unitcombats? Does everything then work the same way? Do you have a forested hill blend average the defense modifiers of a forest and a hill? Or should everything be completely additive and we just allow players to HAVE to build axe/spear (and more) combined armies so that we only ever worry about one intense force? Do we then concern ourselves with casualties in a different manner entirely? Once we start thinking this far we begin to realize we'd need to just scrap the whole civ combat system and start over from scratch to get what it is you're looking for it to be.

Not one good reason have i seen why make a simple merging of units so unrealistic and so complex. Heavy nerd-disease i guess and in your post you admitted that your below 0-system can't handle the realism. These really are not demands, you do with your product what you wish but a passionate amazement as why on earth to make such a awkward and unrealistic system when better and far simpler ones have been around for decades. Just bang them together and add up the values.
Not only myself but many others have attempted to share those 'good reasons' and you've not paid attention to any of them if you can still say not one good reason has been given. You're view of what the numbers means is simply flawed. Sorry.

Already back in mid -80, i could for example take separate "armies" of 10 infantrymen, 13 knights, 2 catapults and five more infantrymen and group them neatly at will with few clicks into any combos i liked. After that, countless games have used a simple just bang them together and add up the values-system. Very tried, working, realistic and simple system it is. It now really amazes me that this hasn't been seen in any core Civ games. Hey ! We too can allow unit grouping and create a whole new strategic layer ! I guess it just didn't occur to them or they ran into ai-problems. Still, countless games have managed to make very allowing and free groupings and units combinings very succesfully into the heart of their engines.
This perspective will be well to take into consideration when we decide to start with a new game entirely. Here, it doesn't apply.

I think that the very core, the heart of Size matters should be this beautiful simplicity, not clumsy you must have three-weirdness. You could make bonuses, addennums and other gimmicks working on the side of that. Thats how i would do it but hey, its your product. Just my two merged cents, that have simple wisdom you can't deny. :)
If one can only understand a simple wisdom it makes sense they'd balk at one more complex.

Now thats a laughter. No "further insight" whatsoever is needed to see that a decades old 'just bang the units and their values together'-system is far better than this one. Quite a many ais in wargames have also been able to cope with it. You are desperately trying to invent a very complex wheel here and ending up with blatant unrealism and ridiculous you must have three-rules. Adding more and more complexity isn't definitely always really more.
One thing you HAVEN'T shown is how you're suggestion is clearly 'better' aside from relying on that being a self-substantiated truth that completely ignores how strength changes are not a linear progression but rather an exponential one. An inability to grasp exponential progression is what makes it so apparent that a linear one would be 'better'. Just keep in mind that I was not the inventor of this exponential structure but one who works with it to make game adjustments that stay true to the original.

" Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away "

You might want to consider the wisdom in the game. :)
HAH! There it is... the battle cry of those who prefer to only THINK they're thinking when they approach a game! (Which is admittedly MOST people.) The C2C philosophy is, in the words of the immortal Hydromancerx: "More IS more!" If this is not the philosophy to which you ascribe, you are playing the wrong game my friend.

Big reason why i really want to use this is a elimination of micromanagement and ofcourse a convenient and most of all realistic way to give units punching power.
And this was entirely NOT the design intent of this mod, to make it easier to think less and overwhelm your enemies easier. In fact, the intent is quite the opposite - to force one to consider things deeper and weigh the differences in new ways to risk, to give more 'interesting (which is defined as impossible to determine one way or another as ultimately superior) decisions". The generation of Interesting Decisions is the Sid Meyer hallmark that has made this game great. Yes, we seek greater realism in our game models but that may not be found where you would expect it to be. And it certainly doesn't take a priority over improvements in game play itself. If we make merging the only valid strategy in this environment we have made a completely useless game modification that will strip the game of further enjoyability.

As it should but currently it is not.

And how realistic or reasonable is a 12 str unit to beat 3 10 str units with a 50/50 ? Huh ?

That is the issue here.
So what you're saying is you don't like Civ IV in the first place. This fact stems all the way from Vanilla through C2C and is not something unique to our mod. Each str pt is roughly ten times the strength of the previous strength point. It is non-linear, exponential progression.

Since the str of units is not linear: very realistic :rolleyes:
Exactly.

Not really some those OOS errors and other errors we are fixing are old but they where never got fixed.
Very true alberts... very true. These problems have plagued us mightily for a very long time.

Sorry for the double post but Hydro asked me in a PM what the reason for the merging from three into one and splitting from one into three was all about and it was brought up here as a point of contention as well. This was my answer him and I figured it should go here to clear up any misunderstanding:
It played into the fuzzy math. You could see 3 groups of units within the range of volume count given potentially being able to add up to the next category. If you do the math you can make it make sense with each merge or split (provided you don't do the math strictly.)

For example, 3 groups of singular units obviously IS 3 individuals which falls within the brackets of a Party (2-7). 3 Parties can be anywhere between 2*3 to 7*3 so 6-21 a great portion of that range falling within the Squad range of (7-20). 3 squads can be anywhere from 21-60 which easily falls into the Company range of 21-100. 3 companies can be anywhere from 63-300, the majority of those numbers falling into the range of the Battalion (101-600). And so on... 3 Millions (1 Million to 999.99 Million) can easily add up in to a range within Billions (1 Billion to 999.99 Billion) etc...

Fuzzy math that assumes that once a unit has become a particular size, the tracking of the individuals in that unit becomes looser and looser and will tend to eventually average out towards the center of the numeric range. 3 times the number at the center of the numeric range you'll notice always falls into the range of the next category up and when you take the center of the numeric range of the unit and divide it by three you'll always have a number in the range of the one beneath.

I COULD have worked out a far more numerous categorical structure that combined two into one and divided by two but it wouldn't have then so perfectly balanced to the other two size matters combat class categories that all keep each other in a 3 way numeric harmony to keep units pretty much similar in definition to the originals when the option isn't on.

Make sense?

What you must understand about merging and splitting is that it's not the core of the option. The core of the option is the three category balance that enables our units to stay roughly the same definition as the original (except where the original has appeared out of balance due to a lack of full consideration for one or another category) units if playing with the option off, whilst still enabling Size to make a serious difference.

This idea was born from an insight regarding the frailty of birds. Until this mod, ALL units have 100HP. This manipulates things so that not all units can take the same amount of damage while keeping the (new) ability to modify the unit's HP from becoming a major can of worms being opened that can invite a huge amount of inappropriate numerical manipulation that can cause deep problems in the game engine - that's really the deeper issue at the core.

IF the option was only about modifying power based on group volumes alone and we weren't intending to modify based on size as well there would be no need to maintain a balance of power in merging and splitting that is 'perceived' as inappropriate (even though it does keep a much better balanced option to keep from one action being patently better than another.) If you truly take 5 units and evaluate how their sizes, groups and qualities are threads pulling the unit in three ways back to a center you can see how this is a three way balancing act rather than a one dimensional system. That was at the heart of this option, not a 'box' or a trap but the enabling concept from genesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom