What needs fixing before we release v35

I think we are at a stage that we could have a freeze starting 17th May for a release on or about 31st of May.

So what must be fixed?

- update your page in Changelog v35. When that is done Faustmouse can update the opening post so it is available at release.

- finish mega fauna heritage changes - Zebra, Mammoth, Big Cats(?), Llama(?) and Rhinoceros still to do.

- Sparth - graphics work

- Naval unit review for post wooden ships

- Remove duplicate game text definitions

- Reduce the size of the overly long Strategy Texts

- make all Alt_Timeline folders optional - ones that need fixing are (See here for why)
- Clockpunk
- Steampunk
- Dieselpunk
- Biopunk
- Cyberpunk
- Atompunk
- Megafauna/BearRider
- Megafauna/DeerRider
- Megafauna/Giraffe Archer
- Megafauna/Llama
- Megafauna/Mammoths
- Megafauna/Zebra​

Noted. I'll update the changelog soon.

Still got a few things I wanna get in here but need to take full stock of that before I say for sure what.

As I said in other thread currently im working on units_sparth.fpk file and work should take a ~week. But after cleaning this file we probably got some bugs (like after last cleaning). Dont know if that work should be included in v35 :/

Sounds like it just fits :D The week to do the changes then the freeze to catch any bugs.

Actually same goes for the Naval changes Thunderbrd, Hydro and others have been fleshing out.

After all the bigger xml changes are done, i want to put in the new xsd based schema validation. This includes updating almost all the xml files, removing all the old schema files and some dll changes.

Ok, here's my list of things to address before the release:
  • Not sure if we can fit the Naval units in before the freeze but I'd like to at least finish up with the evaluation for them and give it a chance to come together first. (On hold til after the freeze)

• Change the name of Ranged Bombard and figure out why the new button isn't working for it - Am I assuming the rbombard mission is the one that initiates it and it is actually a different mission? (I have an improved button for it now anyhow.)

• Fix Zone of Control (and since I've evaluated this enough to know what's wrong at least, I also suspect the same problem is taking place for invisibility/detection of enemy units so I may be able to finally debug THAT problem as well.) And possibly work out how to keep direct targeting from taking place against units that have an interrupting feature (hill or peak) between the initiator and the target plot. And possibly work out some terrain and feature defense bonuses against ranged bombard (pretty easy but I'm hoping to have enough time to get this done.)

• Include the tags and Promotions that allow units to take advantage of size variations (Size Matters)

• Include modifiers for Group Volumes for combat modifiers on specific terrains and cities.(Size Matters)(On hold til after the release)

• Combat Quality based fame and strength promotions.(Size Matters)(On hold til after the release)

• Take a look at the worker automation and build requires text.

• There's a bug in units unloading that I need to fix.Proved to be a problem with grouping units that are on a transport. I found a note that declared this was purposefully disabled so it's probably not a good idea to re-enable it. HOWEVER, I do wonder if the disablement is for the benefit of the AI only as the note was:
    ? said:
    // Can't join a group that is loaded onto a transport as this
    // would bypass the transport's record of what units it has on
    // board
    which I don't think is an issue for the human player at all. If that's the case then I could safely enable the ability for the human player right? I'll send a PM to koshling on this since I THINK it must've been from his work that we get this footnote.
    Done.

• Fix a bug with Extra Terrain and Feature movement tags. (Haven't looked much into this yet but they aren't working right.(or at all)): Tentatively I believe I've found the 'fix'. Mind, this was not bugged so much as it was not working the way expected but I believe the way it's been adjusted should have it making more sense in general.Edited again and done.

• If an upgrading improvement would destroy the feature, send a popup to give the player some options. Now we need to fix the xml for this if we can squeeze it in.

• There's another player revealing message in pillaging somewhere that can give away the source of a hidden nationality unit that I need to find and eliminate.Probably fixed but time will tell.

• Transfer the Group size of the original workers to the captured worker when workers are captured. (Size Matters)(Suspended til after the freeze)

• Enhance the value of Siege units for the AI a bit more. Ok, a few more tweaks will hopefully swell the AI city attack stacks with siege weapons. Ranged Assault values not included in this enhancement.

• Update Food Merchants and any other units that have not been reviewed since added.Done.

• Limit Combat Quality +1 promos so that they cannot be selected unless the unit has no more promotions available to be selected after this selection.Done

• A little rebalancing for Healer and Law Enforcement units property manipulator sources. (I want to give them a bit more on their base values (like to the tune of doubling them) and allow the promos to have a bit more impact(again, perhaps doubling them) but then stretch out the promotion access to tech limits on Law Enforcement promos like they are for Healer promos. We have to build too many healers and not enough Law Enforcement at the moment to keep things in check. (Though I don't think we're far off on the right amount of needed LE units so we shouldn't have to build toooo many more - its just that since the promos are all accessible right away they don't allow for more improvement beyond just upgrades as time goes on.))(I decided this needs testing so will be done early in next cycle so we can see how it plays out during the cycle before locking it into a version release.)

• Fix TXT references on the A2G Combat Classes.Done!

• Add the Combatant CC to Transports and allow the Transport CC to move to a sub-combat category.Done

• Adjust Art on the Rolling Thunder line of Ranged Bombard promos - it looks too much like another promotionline.

• Make sure all Transports Zero out between Size and Volume so that confusing added limitations to cargo hold don't emerge when upgrading transports.Done

• Implement some forum suggested unit tweaks that have been agreed upon by the team.(Will address after release.)

• Take a look at some Ranged Bombard scenarios and make sure the numbers play out appropriately and look at the AI for improvements that can be done.

• Improvement Upgrade chains review and repair.

• Look at those missions (event based) that require a particular number of units and disable them under Size Matters.

• World Bank tag function adjustment to keep it from so quickly allowing the national gold accumulation to exceed integer limits (and possibly actually limit maximum gold to the MAX_INT to keep this from ever being a problem from any OTHER reason.)

• Prune some overpowered promos from the trainable promotion tree.

• A few odd debugs - Commanders and Vassal issues.

• Reduce the max players to 35.

• Oh yeah, and update the changelog.
That pretty much covers what I'd like to achieve before we release. Many of these debugs can be done during the freeze period and more debug tasks may emerge between now and then as well. So at first I think I'll be working on the 'development' additions I want to squeeze in and during the freeze period tackle the debugs. If time permits AFTER these tasks I'll be looking to work a little on the Tech hover cleanup DH has requested.

Also, some of the terrain features may need some redefining a bit so they can upgrade once more after I've got the popup working for that... Having so many not upgrading is really intolerable for my wife and I so I can't imagine it will be received well after release if it's not fixed before then. So that's something I'll try to address early here so we've got some time to correct that situation.

Anyhow... I'm gonna get to work here ;)

About disabling modules, i tried disabling just the alt_timelines module, and i get a crash on startup. Something related to Art_info missing or something.

Disabling Alt Timelines should also get fixed before release.

I am working through one at a time. No problems so far. Custom Religions should also be fine to turn off.

There are some errors if you disable the complete Alt Timelines module e.g. the ArtDefine for the Great Hunter is in the Zebra module.

There are some errors if you disable the complete Alt Timelines module e.g. the ArtDefine for the Great Hunter is in the Zebra module.

Yeah, thats weird, shouldn't it be in the great Hunter folder?? Or are you strictly making this an Alt Timeline thingy?

First level check of the modularity of the Alt_Timelines folder ie everything except the Megafauna stuff. I come up with the following errors when I turn off each on the punk modules. The other modules turn off/on fine.

Clockpunk
- Repeating Crossbow in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Steampunk
- BONUS_STEAMPUNK in units/ Unit Combat
- WR_WHEEL in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Dieselpunk
- ART_DEF_BONUS_DIESELPUNK not found

Biopunk
- BOUNS_BIOPUNK in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- BONUS_BIOPUNK in Alt_timelines\Cyberpunk\ buildings
- BUILDING_PHEROMONE_LAB Alt_timelines\Cyberpunk\ buildings

Cyberpunk
- BONUS_CYBERPUNK in units/ unit combat

Atompunk
- BONUS_ATOMPUNK in units/ unit combat​

I suspect that the BUILDING_PHEROMONE_LAB has been put in Cyberpunk when it should have been put in Biopunk and needs to be moved.

The ones in unit/unit combat infos and Civilizations/ unit art style type can probably be fixed by either
  • moving that reference to the correct punk folder and out of core, or
  • the use of the AndDependency tag.

The Dieselpunk one suggests that the bonus is not defined in the folder and just needs to be moved there.

@HydromancerX or Faustmouse do you have time to fix these?

On to the Megafauna folder!

edit
BearRider
- UNIT_BEARRIDER in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- UNIT_BEARKNIGHT in Civilizations/ unit art style type

DeerRider
- UNIT_DEER_ARCHER in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- UNIT_DEERRIDER in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Giraffe Archer
- UNIT_GIRAFFE_ARCHER in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Llama
- UNIT_LLAMA_RIDER in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- UNIT_LLAMA_ARCHER in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Mammoths
- BUILDINGCLASS_MAMMOTH_TRAINER in Hydro\Craft\ Building Infos
- BUILDING_MAMMOTH_TRAINER in XML\Units\ Unit Infos
- UNITCLASS_TRAINED_MAMMOTH in Bison_Rider\ Unit Infos
- UNITCLASS_WAR_MAMMOTH in Bison_Rider\ Unit Infos
- UNIT_TRAINED_MAMMOTH, UNIT_BOMBARD_MAMMOTH, UNIT_WAR_MAMMOTH, UNIT_BALLISTA_MAMMOTH in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Zebra
- BUILDINGCLASS_ZEBRA_TRAINER in Hydro\Craft\ Building Infos
- ArtInfo '' not found​

The worrying one is the missing artinfo '' in the Zebra folder. the rest are mostly to do with the new art and dependencies between modules. @Hydro do you want me to come up with afix for your Craft stuff or can you do it?

I suspect that the BUILDING_PHEROMONE_LAB has been put in Cyberpunk when it should have been put in Biopunk and needs to be moved.

Pretty sure that I have a building (Insect manipulation Lab) that was either in Biopunk or Cyberpunk. Anyways, it has an or prereq of Pheromone Lab (Biopunk) OR "forgot the name" (Cyberpunk). So the overlap is intended, but this makes it hard to fix. But I assume that people that don't like Biopunk also don't like Cyberpunk since they are pretty similar.

Not really :sad:

First level check of the modularity of the Alt_Timelines folder ie everything except the Megafauna stuff. I come up with the following errors when I turn off each on the punk modules. The other modules turn off/on fine.

Spoiler :
Clockpunk
- Repeating Crossbow in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Steampunk
- WR_WHEEL in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Dieselpunk
- ART_DEF_BONUS_DIESELPUNK not found

Biopunk
- BUILDING_PHEROMONE_LAB Alt_timelines\Cyberpunk\ buildings

Cyberpunk

Atompunk
- BONUS_ATOMPUNK in units/ unit combat​

The ones in unit/unit combat infos and Civilizations/ unit art style type can probably be fixed by either
  • moving that reference to the correct punk folder and out of core, or
  • the use of the AndDependency tag.

The Dieselpunk one suggests that the bonus is not defined in the folder and just needs to be moved there.

On to the Megafauna folder!

edit
BearRider
- UNIT_BEARRIDER in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- UNIT_BEARKNIGHT in Civilizations/ unit art style type

DeerRider
- UNIT_DEER_ARCHER in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- UNIT_DEERRIDER in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Giraffe Archer
- UNIT_GIRAFFE_ARCHER in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Llama
- UNIT_LLAMA_RIDER in Civilizations/ unit art style type
- UNIT_LLAMA_ARCHER in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Mammoths
- BUILDINGCLASS_MAMMOTH_TRAINER in Hydro\Craft\ Building Infos
- BUILDING_MAMMOTH_TRAINER in XML\Units\ Unit Infos
- UNITCLASS_TRAINED_MAMMOTH in Bison_Rider\ Unit Infos
- UNITCLASS_WAR_MAMMOTH in Bison_Rider\ Unit Infos
- UNIT_TRAINED_MAMMOTH, UNIT_BOMBARD_MAMMOTH, UNIT_WAR_MAMMOTH, UNIT_BALLISTA_MAMMOTH in Civilizations/ unit art style type

Zebra
- ArtInfo '' not found​

The worrying one is the missing artinfo '' in the Zebra folder. the rest are mostly to do with the new art and dependencies between modules. @Hydro do you want me to come up with afix for your Craft stuff or can you do it?

I can handle all of these, if you want. Or at least try to, if i need help i will let ya'll know.

EDIT: - ArtInfo '' not found,,, All this is that whom ever did these left out "Art/Units/megafauna/" on the nif/shader lines :mischief:

ie: Had on almost all : "example"

<NIF>german_zebra_cavalry/hussar.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/unique/russia/cossack/russiancossack.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>german_zebra_cavalry/hussar.nif</SHADERNIF>

should be:

<NIF>Art/Units/megafauna/german_zebra_cavalry/hussar.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/unique/russia/cossack/russiancossack.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/megafauna/german_zebra_cavalry/hussar.nif</SHADERNIF>

EDIT:

I was just thinking, shouldn't the PUNK's in the core tech tree, be moved to the Alt-Timelines also??

Dieselpunk
- ART_DEF_BONUS_DIESELPUNK not found (because its an Art/Empty.nif slot)

- BONUS_ATOMPUNK in units/ unit combat (All of these should NOT matter, they are in CIV4UnitCombatInfos which should NOT matter because it is now a separate folder, but TB would know better sense its his file??)

Biopunk
- BUILDING_PHEROMONE_LAB Alt_timelines\Cyberpunk\ buildings (These should be ok also, as in above also??? TB???)

Dont know what your saying about the "Craft stuff" on Hydro's stuff?? thats a different ballgame???

EDIT:

I was just thinking, shouldn't the PUNK's in the core tech tree, be moved to the Alt-Timelines also??

Yes they should. The move needs to be documented at the top of the Tech Infos file so that when you search for the tech by name the comment saying where it is is found. I did the Clockpunk one already and will do the rest.

Dieselpunk
- ART_DEF_BONUS_DIESELPUNK not found (because its an Art/Empty.nif slot)

Not likely. The phrase ART_DEF_BONUS_DIESELPUNK should not occur anywhere except in the Dieslepunk folder so it needs to be found and moved. EDIT Turns out the bonus was defined twice once in Dieselpunk and once in Clockpunk. I will get rid of the Colockpunk copy.

These were the errors I got when I turned off each in turn. Thus they all matter and need fixing.

Pretty sure that I have a building (Insect manipulation Lab) that was either in Biopunk or Cyberpunk. Anyways, it has an or prereq of Pheromone Lab (Biopunk) OR "forgot the name" (Cyberpunk). So the overlap is intended, but this makes it hard to fix. But I assume that people that don't like Biopunk also don't like Cyberpunk since they are pretty similar.

Then it just needs an AndDependency tag added so that both are required for the building to be in game. EDIT Turns out it is an or prerequisite so it is not a straight forward turn the building on/off, but it should be fixable.

Zebra
- ArtInfo '' not found[/INDENT]

The '- ArtInfo '' not found' in the Zebra Module is the ART_DEF_UNIT_GREAT_HUNTER i fix that one.

Thanks. There should not be a Great Hunter ref in Zebra! I put it in core from the Subdue animals when I moved the Great Hunter into core.

edit I a doing these fixes now so I better get the latest SVN so I don't redo or undo what you and SO have done.

Are you removing the duplicates from the GameText files?

I have also planned to clean them a bit in another way i wait until you are done.

Top Bottom