Resources Trapped on Mountains

bluekirby25

Chieftain
Hi, this is for sure a noob question, but I started up my game and after researching the required tech to be able to see stuff like gems and ore, I noticed they were sometimes showing up on mountains. I'm 99% sure this is because I enabled the "Usable Mountains" thing on game creation, but this isn't quite what I had in mind! Now I have this copper high up on a peak, mocking me. It knows that it's the only metal within a reasonable distance of my empire, and no matter where I look I can't figure out how to get it. Am I missing a tech? Am I just not trying hard enough? Any help would be great! Here's the picture:

Bonus question, what the hell is Korea doing?

And how can I do it too?

Once you research Mountaineering tech, you will be able to work and improve mountain tiles. Its not researchable until late Medievel (sp?) era, so you might want to acquire it some other way until then. As far as what Korea is doing, it looks they have built wooden palisades to acquire those resources/territories. The palisades will upgrade to forts at Mathematics tech, kind of like mini-cities.

There is a distressing tendency for mountains to be holding your only possible source of copper or obsidian. Mountaineering comes rather late in the day for early resources such as those.

Could it be a potential use for Great Engineers?

Some units can get a promotion that lets them lead other units into the mountains. This lets you build a route earlier. I am not sure if it allows you to also build an early mine or not.

Workers that can get to the peak can build there. A Leader unit, like a Warlord for example, can lead workers up to the peak. Llama workers can get there. Then there's mountaineering.

Workers that can get to the peak can build there. A Leader unit, like a Warlord for example, can lead workers up to the peak. Llama workers can get there. Then there's mountaineering.

I combined a great general with an archer to get the mountain leader perk on him, and then got a worker up there. The only problem is, the only thing I can build with the worker is roads, and after I built roads, there is no other options. Do I need mountaineering to build improvements?

I combined a great general with an archer to get the mountain leader perk on him, and then got a worker up there. The only problem is, the only thing I can build with the worker is roads, and after I built roads, there is no other options. Do I need mountaineering to build improvements?

If you're on the latest SVN version (or once you upgrade to v35 after its release (which should be VERY soon)) you'll be able to build Stone Gatherers or Mountain Mines on peaks, the prior being available pretty much by any point you could get a worker up there. You still won't be able to get your city to WORK the plot but you should be able to get the resource.

If you're on the latest SVN version (or once you upgrade to v35 after its release (which should be VERY soon)) you'll be able to build Stone Gatherers or Mountain Mines on peaks, the prior being available pretty much by any point you could get a worker up there. You still won't be able to get your city to WORK the plot but you should be able to get the resource.

That's good to know. Any chance we could get a note on it in the Civilopedia?

Regards,
Northstar

Top Bottom