New Cumulative history Quiz VII

Feng Yuxiang

Feng Yuxiang, also known as the Christian General, sided with and betrayed just about every participants in the Chinese Civil War (earning him his other alias, the Defector General). Originally a soldier in the Beiyang Army under Yuan Shikai, he became one of the major warlord figures of the 1920s. In 1924 his army seized Beijing and banished Emperor Puyi from Forbidden Palace. He subsequently became involved in a war with Zhang Zoulin. He sided with the Kuomintang during the Northern Expedition but subsequently betrayed it and fought the Central Plains War alongside Yan Xishan. For a while he led an anti-Japanese rebel army in Inner Mongolia, then sided again with the Kuomintang during the World War. He died in a fire while crossing the Black Sea in 1948, on the way back to China from the United States via the Soviet Union.

Your turn. :goodjob:

Hmmm. Patton was at St. Mihiel. Ft-17s also fought at St. Mihiel, it was one of the first large-scale tank assaults.

My first instinct is the obvious guess of Blackjack Pershing, but I can't include all the pictures in it. Oregon is the tough one, and I don't know who is standing next to Ike.

Of course, we don't even know whether we're looking for a person, an event, or what! So which is it?

Hmmm. Patton was at St. Mihiel. Ft-17s also fought at St. Mihiel, it was one of the first large-scale tank assaults.

My first instinct is the obvious guess of Blackjack Pershing, but I can't include all the pictures in it. Oregon is the tough one, and I don't know who is standing next to Ike.

Of course, we don't even know whether we're looking for a person, an event, or what! So which is it?

Well it was certainly one of the first American large scale tank assaults. The Brits had used lots of tanks prior...

Got it.

It's Joe Angelo. He served at St Mihiel and won a DSC for saving George Patton's life. Douglas MacArthur and Dwight Eisenhower were in command when they quelled the veterans protest in DC in 1932.

Hmm actually, that's a good point.

Wikipedia says Angelo was from NJ.... Guess it's not him then :D

The answer is indeed a person, but no it's not Joe Angelo (although Angelo is a darn good guess!).

And despite the similar haircut the person seated in the FT-17 isn't Joe McCarthy. The unknown men in the last two pictures are actually the same person (and the answer). Oh and the 2nd to last pic is post-ww1.

dwight D.? He was instrumental in bringing tanks into the army and some of those pictures have him in it

Nope not Eisenhower. This person is standing next to Ike in one of the photos though.

Cav Scout, your clue about the 2nd to last picture being between the wars helped me come up with the answer, but I wasn't completely sure about the guy's name and had to do some research to get it right so I am disqualified from answering. This is one great question.

A few more hints: This person was one of the first officers assigned to the new U.S. Army Tank Corp. He retired as a Brigadier General during WWII.

Procedures :-
1) A asks a question, the rest will try to answer.
2) A must confirm which answer is correct.
3) Person (say B) with confirmed correct answer then asks the next question.
4) A cannot play again until B's turn is over (to prevent the thread turning into a 2 person spam party).
5) Repeat.
6) If person asking question doesn't login to confirm answers within 72 hrs of his question being posted, any one can ask a new question.
7) If no one can answer question within 72 hrs or can't get the right one, questioner can ask again.
8) NO Net book, or other resource searches.
9) If answer has been confirmed and the new questioner hasn't set a question in 72 hours, anyone can ask the new question.

First thread
Second thread
Third thread
Fourth thread
Fifth Thread
Sixth Thread

I declare new question :smug:

The Answer is Brigadier General Serano Brett. He was born in Portland, Oregon and moved to Corvallis, Oregon where he graduated from Oregon State University and was commissioned as an infantry officer in the regular army. When the U.S. entered the First World War Brett was one of the first officers assigned to the newly formed United States Tank Corps. He served as one of Patton's battalion commanders during the Battle of St. Mihiel, leading his Ft-17 tanks on foot and earning the Distinquished Service Cross. When Patton was wounded he assumed command of the 1st Tank Brigade for the remainder of the war. After the war he served as an observer with Dwight Eisenhower for the 1919 Transcontinental Convoy. He retired as a Brigadier General in 1943.

A few interesting links:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/an-u...eisenhower’s-odyssey-across-rural-america.htm

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/sebrett.htm

You get to ask anoher question or I will

Top Bottom