Whats the best way to use the Tech Tree?

Adino

Chieftain
You can skip large potions of the tech tree in this version of CIV. And I am sure their are some amazing exploits you can pull off. I am just getting into the game, (2 games so far) I just dominated a king game with my "samurai rush" I would recommend it to anyone who plays on chieftain level or below, no idea why it worked. But anyway back to my point this game is very simplistic compared to the old civ games. Your units dont die if you attacking with them, (lost 2 samurai taking out 5 nations despite almost never stopping to heal) and the military is very very overpowered in this version. City placement is not much of an issue and the buildings don't give much of a bonus compared to expansion. This has me skipping all those city improvement upgrades and doing lots of beelineing. What are some of the more popular beelines? Here is mine

Get tile improvement tech first for resources, then Rush for Iron working get swordsmen, build and conquer, rush for steel get longswords, then rush for riflemen if game is not over.

Possible alternative horses to knights.

I love the look of the knights, look like conquering machines but I really like japan and I wonder if the samurai is better to rush than the knight, your thoughts? Also should I pick up any other tech? Any noncombat tech worth picking up?

Unrelated but another question i have is their any good reason to keep people happy? I don't mind -33% combat no growth and reduced production if the benefit is you get a crazy crazy big empire!!!!! is -100 worse than -10?

Umm a lot of what you are saying has to do with Japan's unique ability. It doesn't matter if you didn't stop to heal because Japan has Bushido, which means all units fight like they are at full strength.

There is no difference between -10 and -100 hapiness, but I'd still try to keep it at -9 or higher. -33% combat strength is quite harmful when you're up against an enemy with comparable tech.

The general consensus is that Horsemen are the most powerful early game unit. 1 point stronger than Swordsmen, with 2x as much movement and they can move after attacking. Knights lose some of the mobility though, but are still great units.

thanks for the advice and I have only played as japan, and it was on king difficulty so a cake walk. I think i will try a deity game out with japan which should i use horses or swordsmen? Swordsmen upgrade to samurai but it sounds like horses are better overall.

I'm really liking Biology beeline. Horsemen take first 1 or 2 rivals, Knights the remainder until continent cleared. Beeline to Biology to get Order, building infrastructure in the meantime. Leftover Cavs from wars attack 2nd continent with Frigate support. Go for Replaceable Parts, using Infantry to your advantage to wipe next Civ. What I love about this is that the ocean-traversing techs are on the way.

If I'm playing a Civ like Monty or Rome (or Japan) that has advantages to the lower half of the tree, Rifling/Dynamite beeline seems good. But it's a much softer beeline because I still need the ocean-traversing techs and some infrastructure techs.

If you want to know about some good non-combat techs I have to say writing is up there with the best. It unlocks great library which is amazing early game and seriously affects if you get gunpowder before your rivals do. Another is currency, a great way to get banks which give you more gold to buy units, increase city-state relations, or just trading with other civs. 3rd best is construction, giving you sawmills, useful for newly founded cities, and the Great Wall, a good idea if you want protection over multiple cities. Its really your decision though so make good choices, dont die!

This, is bad.

Moderator Action: Vanilla prefix added as the thread originated back in the vanilla days.

Top Bottom