What decade do you live in?

Smellincoffee

Trekkie At Large
Anytime someone says something like "ten years ago", I think they're talking about something in the eighties, and I always get confused when I realize they're talking about the early ninenties. I can't seem to think of the eighties being TWENTY years ago, and I don't know why. Do any of you who have lived long enough to remember stuff that's four or five chapters back in my western civ book ever catch yourself in this mindset? I guess it's because I'm just now getting old enough (will be 20 when '05 starts) to start having memories that span multiple decades. It's altogether strange. I don't see how people can stand the confusion this causes. :lol:

When people say 10 years ago I also think of the eighties, even though I don't know what went on in the eighties I can't imagine the 90's being 10 years ago either.

@rmsharpe

Yet you were born in the same year as me...maybe I'm just a little nuts. :p

I'm only 18, but I too am vastly impressed at how time has gone quickly.

Actually, I'll bite. It's gone very fast since my senior year in high school began-I still literally remember the first day of it like it was, well, yesterday. Even then the 90s still don't seem too far off, and that we're into the middle of the 2000s decade. I read up old magazines and cannot believe that some things took place..oh say, five, six, years ago.

I'm 24 and I have a cousin who's 15. Sometimes we talk about music (I have to educate the kid!) and I will mention a cd I bought in 1993 when I was thirteen years old and he'll answer that he was only two at the time.
That's getting weird when I can have a kind-of-intelligent discussion with someone younger and feel like an old geezer even though I'm not even 25 yet. :eek:

Not too hard... I was born in the 1980s... 20 years ago, actually, so that helps me remember that I'm not pre-pubesent...

"Oh, around 9, 10 years ago in 1984 president Reagan was electe... :rolleyes:"

I'm 21 which is neat but I sometimes try to live in 1997 - 1998 or so as things were better (not personaly but nationaly, perhaps globaly) back then. Sometimes I find myself living in the early 90's music wise (Nirvana, STP, Green Day and Such). I also automaticaly convert 10 years ago to the 80s and have to think about it for a second to realize that's the 90s.

I think I'm still stuck at 2000. When people say 10-15 years ago I think of the 80s. When they just a few years back I'll think of mid/late 90s.

Living in the '80s here ... I stopped paying attention to most popular culture around 1992 or so ... Becoming an "old fart" in my early thirties ...

Actually now that you asked the question, what decade is this? What is the official name for the years '00-'09?

stratego said:
Actually now that you asked the question, what decade is this? What is the official name for the years '00-'09?
21st Century "Junion years" ... next will be the "teen years" ... and then the "20s, 30s, 40s" :p

I was born in Feb 1977. Sad occasion.

I feel living in 2000-2002, don't know why.. perhaps because that's the last time I did something (finished my degree and got ill).
We all get somehow stuck with the years/music we loved.
Fortunately, I love music from all ages practically (60s on, not before..), so I can continue the time axis, and care bout now.

I'm just 16, and till not long ago I was stuck at 2000... But now I live in late 2004. I don't know when the change happened, it just did at some point, and now ten years ago means the mid-nineties to me - a time I can hardly remember. I'm often shocked how much has changed in the last decade, and how little has changed, since I really only remember the last six years or so very well and the time before that is often hazy in my memory. So whenever I read something about the nineties, or see something about it on TV, I'm often surprised at the similarities and the differences.
I would go on but I'm already rambling so I'd better stop.

stratego said:

Well, if '90 to '99 was the "nineties", surely '00 to '09 is the "naughties".

On the main subject, I still seem to think the 70s were only 20 years ago - despite evidence to the contrary. So i guess I must be living in the 90s.

I was born in the first half of the 70s and still find it weird to notice that people born in the 80s can have an opinion of any relevance :). And people born in the 90s are all still in dipers!

Well... at my school our history professors made us use dates.... ;)

To me, its exactly the opposite, when I think about the 80's, the mullets, the "hair bands" like Def Leppard, Bon jovi, Van Allen, etc. and the USSR, it seems to be in an other life. Everybody seemed to have more Shaggy in those years.

Top Bottom