Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Just wondering, if you break a thread's rules (e.g. In the Just FIve Words With Love thread, your post has to continue the story above you and can only have five words), can you get a warning?

Not a mod there, but I'd say if you do it systematically/repeatingly, then I'd count as trolling.

For some reason, my ability to acess the drop down bar to the community and notifcation bar has been impedied for the last two or so days (Didn't really keep track). I always have to take an indirect roundabout if I want to, say, read a PM if I have a new one, or acess any of the numerous social groups I am in. I have no clue why, and restarting my browser doesn't seem to help. I am currently using IE and Windows 7, if this helps troubleshoot any of this problem. In the meantime, I shall also test my alt. computer to see if it glitches over there.

Did anything change in the meantime, e.g. javascript settings (IE doesn't have addons, does it?)?
What about the other drop down menus?

Now it is suddenly working again for whatever reason. Must had been some weird glitch or something. Thanks for responding to my concern, though.

EDIT: And it came back immediatly after making this post. :lol:

But maybe it has to do with posting? I'm going to look into that.

Ok, why did the profile tabs get removed? Not liking the extra scrolling.

edit: And now they're back. I'm so confused.

Ok, why did the profile tabs get removed? Not liking the extra scrolling.

edit: And now they're back. I'm so confused.

That definitely sounds like the JavaScript was not already loaded for you.
Do you block that sometimes somehow?

Maybe? I have adblock, so may have accidentally caught something important in the crossfire.

Did you just say you can't tell regular users and spambots apart easily? I find that a little hard to believe.

edit: Oh, this is great. The drop down boxes (like thread tools and search) aren't working for me. Again. What the heck is the problem with them? They do this roughly half the time and I don't know why.

Simply because we don't allow users to post commercial advertising. There is very little distinction between a regular user doing this and the sort of crap we get from spambots.

Well, regular users post regular stuff, while spambots post just for the sake of spamming. If you can't tell the difference ...

Commercial advertising is commercial advertising. Whether it's done by spambots or in members' signatures is irrelevant.

Why is it irrelevant? Regular people's intentions tend to be different from corporations to some degree. And what's wrong with commercial advertising? CFC does it.

It's irrelevant because it's against the rules for anyone to post commercial advertising. CFC does it so Thunderfall can pay for this site and keep it and its content free for the rest of us.

I wasn't asking what made it against the rules, I was asking why it was against the rules, you silly cat. :p

Those are the same question, and the answer is simple: "Just because it is." :huh:

(this "silly cat" is a former moderator and used to deal with such stuff, and it is very annoying)

Well, sorry for asking about how the status quo came to be and for liking Get Fuzzy.

Sorry, I thought you meant your cat comment in an unfriendly way. I like Get Fuzzy too, but that's not where my avatar is from. See the "Cheezburger" link in my sig and you'll see what I mean. I'm the resident forum "Cat Lady" (although I'm NOT crazy - I only have 2 cats!).

edit: Oh, this is great. The drop down boxes (like thread tools and search) aren't working for me. Again. What the heck is the problem with them? They do this roughly half the time and I don't know why.

What happens for me is that something called 'booklandonline.info' tries to load. While it's connecting, none of the dropdown menus will open. Once it stops trying, or connects, or whatever is happening here, the menus will open as normal.

Try waiting twenty seconds or so after you load the page and see if they will open then. If so, it might be the same problem.

Sorry, I thought you meant your cat comment in an unfriendly way. I like Get Fuzzy too, but that's not where my avatar is from. See the "Cheezburger" link in my sig and you'll see what I mean. I'm the resident forum "Cat Lady" (although I'm NOT crazy - I only have 2 cats!).

Oh, I thought that was Bucky. :|

What happens for me is that something called 'booklandonline.info' tries to load. While it's connecting, none of the dropdown menus will open. Once it stops trying, or connects, or whatever is happening here, the menus will open as normal.

Try waiting twenty seconds or so after you load the page and see if they will open then. If so, it might be the same problem.

I'll try that next time it happens.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. Also, I PMed ainwood about this, but I haven't gotten a response and could really use this at the moment:

I am trying to find the profile option that hides my "Current Activity", but I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction? I would also like to find the option that makes "online/offline" indicator () stay permanently "offline".

Top Bottom