Frequently Asked Questions

Like for example - when you have a great prophet and it says that you can build deep space-9, it says your need to be a holy city and i tried to see what that means and have been unsuccessful. In another case, suddenly my rivals - Kazan and i think it is ferengin started doubling their point while i didn't see anything. i tried to change all my abses to do research, but no cahnge.

Holy City means the city/star system where a Religion/Value is founded. So to build DS 9 you need to have founded Exploration plus it has to be your State Value (you cannot build it if you have the Ideological Pluralism civic enabled, because that means you have no State Religion/Value).

In another case, suddenly my rivals - Kazan and i think it is ferengin started doubling their point while i didn't see anything. i tried to change all my abses to do research, but no cahnge.

Running the Representation plus Ideological Pluralism civics is best for maximizing research. (If you set all your systems to Research, you´re not producing anything - so also no research buildings.)

You can enable Tutorial via your game Options. That should help you a bit. ;)

EDIT: As a strategy guide it is suggested to specialize your cities/systems. So if you have a city/system with lots of hammers in it, build all the production facilities in it and use it to produce lots of units; if you have a commerce/trade system, maximize its financial output. If you have a system thats good for research, build all the research facilities in it, etc.

So I hope some of you guys is still active arround here and can help me.

Bought the game in a complete edition to be able to play the Mod. But the instaler does not automaticaly find the corect folder and when I enter the folderpath for Mod manualy i can not instal the Mod.
Could it have somerhing to do with the fact that I had to install it into my Steam account? The Language is english and Steam tells me it is is patched to 3.19.

Im starting to feel rather stupid. But could someone just explain to me how exactly I get the Game Installed?

The fokder Path is:

D\programs\steam\steamapps\common\sid meyers[...]thesward\mods

It is not the harddrive my windows is running on. Does that make any diference?

Thanks

Bought the game in a complete edition to be able to play the Mod. But the instaler does not automaticaly find the corect folder and when I enter the folderpath for Mod manualy i can not instal the Mod.
Could it have somerhing to do with the fact that I had to install it into my Steam account? The Language is english and Steam tells me it is is patched to 3.19.

Im starting to feel rather stupid. But could someone just explain to me how exactly I get the Game Installed?

The fokder Path is:

Thanks

I have the same issue. The Next button is greyed out. And like you, my Steam games are on a separate drive (NOT on the Windows drive).

The fokder Path is:

Thanks

I have the same issue. The Next button is greyed out. And like you, my Steam games are on a separate drive (NOT on the Windows drive).

I'm getting people commenting on my Star Trek Civ4 tour videos about this problem. I still use windows 7 so I had no troubles installing the mod on my steam copy. So this is possibly some sort of silly windows 10 issue with the installer.

If this mod had been released in a zip file that made users have to drag stuff into folders themselves it would have been annoying however at least it would have been future proof as win10 may not like their 'helpful' installer lol.

I can see from the FAQ that the installer does more than just stick files into the mods folder, it also sticks files elsewhere and possibly inserts some registry settings too. I can force open the exe installer in 7zip (which you guys could do too) but its hard to tell what is meant to go where. Presumably the creators of the mod are long gone but someone smart enough here can help 'deconstruct' what goes where and if any registry stuff happens in the installer. Then we could make a alternative manual install zip file which just gets the user to extract all files and folders into the root BTS folder and run a manual reg update file similar to what we have people do with the Babylon 5 Civ4 mod.

However all that being said you guys might just been falling for the same old problem a lot of our B5 mod fans fall for with the steam copy which is nothing Windows 10 related.. its simply the fact that steam calls the vanilla Civ4 folder 'Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword' so then everyone thinks that is the BTS addon folder when it's NOT, it's still vanilla Civ4 and you still have to go into the BTS sub folder (eg here's a picture of my B5 mod install folder showing the double levels of BTS folders in the steam copy). However the Star Trek installer does NOT want you to select the mods folder there either or make your own Star Trek folder in mods which a lot of people probably fall for too. All it wants you to do is select the BTS sub folder within Civ4's install folder.

So basically this should make the 'Next' button work:
[location of your steam folder]\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\

And these common mistakes will NOT work and make it grey out:
[location of your steam folder]\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\
[location of your steam folder]\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods\
[location of your steam folder]\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\
[location of your steam folder]\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Star Trek\
Or anything else you can think of lol

If the 'Next' button is still grayed out there then its a weird win 10 issue and my earlier advice needs to be done somehow.. if its not grayed out then congrats you fell for the rather silly problem caused by steams naming of the Civ4 root install folder along with not properly reading what the installer is asking you to do haha.

EDIT: The latest guy on my youtube having this issue just confirmed that he was typing in the mods folder and a star trek folder. The Star Trek mod is now working on his steam copy on Windows 10 just fine so it's definitely NOT a Win 10 issue. Shame you guys missed out on playing the mod due to such a simple misunderstanding of the installer instructions and steam folder naming lol, oh well. Hopefully this thread stops this from happening in the future!

Last edited:
I apologize if I have missed an answer to this question you may have already given. The issue I'm having is that I can no longer build system improvements. I can only produce military units, science, culture or gold in my systems. Is this era related? Is there a fix to this?

Top Bottom