Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seafarer

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Spiritual

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

plasmacannon

Emperor
I remember we asked this question years ago on the standard Civ4 Traits, so lets ask it here regarding RI traits.

Seafarer is the best, I think. It allows for awesome naval units, and the +1 trade route is a huge economical boost that scales up as the game progresses. Only downside is that it requires building coastal cities, but that's something worth aiming for regardless of your traits.

Which version of the mod are we talking about? If 3.25, I think politician is very good (maybe little overpowered, actually) with it's +3 to foreign relations and huge 50% bonus to espionage. However it got a little nerf in beta version and I find it to be more balanced with other traits now. Philosophical and progressist are great too and suit my playstyle well.

[Y];13865537 said:
Seafarer is the best, I think. It allows for awesome naval units, and the +1 trade route is a huge economical boost that scales up as the game progresses. Only downside is that it requires building coastal cities, but that's something worth aiming for regardless of your traits.

Interesting, I've always considered seafarer as a pretty mediocre trait. I don't really care that much about promotions it gives but extra trade route is very nice, especially if there are good places for coastal cities.

After all every player has his own style of doing things and at current state of balance there's no trait that outshines other ones in every scenario.

I downloaded version 3.25. I hadn't thought of other versions. I suppose one should specify when making their comment. Especially, if one trait is better in one version than another.

I've tried both Seafarer and Political early on. I like both. Though Seafarer wasn't as big of a benefit on my Commanding Heights maps compared to maps with more water.

I like Administrator, Agrarian and Progressive also.
Building epidemic reduction buildings faster is nice.
Building Workers faster is great, since we build so many.
and who doesn't upgrade units over 6000 years?

Which version of the mod are we talking about? If 3.25, I think politician is very good (maybe little overpowered, actually) with it's +3 to foreign relations and huge 50% bonus to espionage. However it got a little nerf in beta version and I find it to be more balanced with other traits now. Philosophical and progressist are great too and suit my playstyle well.

Interesting, I've always considered seafarer as a pretty mediocre trait. I don't really care that much about promotions it gives but extra trade route is very nice, especially if there are good places for coastal cities.

After all every player has his own style of doing things and at current state of balance there's no trait that outshines other ones in every scenario.
Besides play style, map choice also makes a huge impact. I typically play on the largest map with all Civs--adding significant value to trading and economy, thanks to open borders tech bonuses. It's probably not as big a deal on smaller maps with less players.

[Y];13865778 said:
Besides play style, map choice also makes a huge impact. I typically play on the largest map with all Civs--adding significant value to trading and economy, thanks to open borders tech bonuses. It's probably not as big a deal on smaller maps with less players.

That's true. I can see how amazing seafarer leader could be in giant-sized archipelago map or something similar.

Politician seems to be the best trait to have if one wants to use the religions in the game.
It's +3 to relations offsets the heathen penalty better that Charismatic's +1.

I always thought that the penalty shouldn't apply to the first religion in the game until there is a second discovered. How can they be considered heathens when there are not other religions yet to be considered heathens to? They are just some happy people building their first temples.

I always thought that the penalty shouldn't apply to the first religion in the game until there is a second discovered. How can they be considered heathens when there are not other religions yet to be considered heathens to? They are just some happy people building their first temples.

IIRC, it doesn't. The penalty only works between two civs having different state religions. If a civ doesn't have a state religion (by running paganism or late game civics), the penalty doesn't apply.

Kind of surprised me that, nobody voted for philosophical yet other than me. I think GP is very good for early teching

Kind of surprised me that, nobody voted for philosophical yet other than me. I think GP is very good for early teching
You can't stack great work of science anymore in the later versions, thus GP generation is not as strong as before

Seafarer for newest versions hands down, since protectionism is OP.
Also you gain "Foreign trade" while in protectionism via vassal(s). => 1 Trade route can easily be 15+ commerce.
+ the ship bonus. Only down side is pangea like maps.

Industrious for overall. (Slavery / Mines - Lumber mills / guilds - watermills in general).
Try Christian IV (vikings) for both traits.

Worst trait IMO - Conqueror, due the fact that it does not help early game in anyway, comparing to other traits (well, politician for isolation starts)

I'm still fond of philosophical because early game great people have a lot of utility, and Phi boosts some buildings at a time where they are very welcome. Industrious also gets really good results, since it allows for an early "industrial revolution" due to the crasftman boost and the right civics. Hammers are one of the early game bottlenecks.

Top Bottom