[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

Peaks are good.
We can't have enough map scripts flooding peaks everywhere.
These valleys are great as they are. If only the Armageddon counter didn't decide to change your nice terrain into deserts...

Stupid question...

Where does this script go?
I have searched but can't find one that matches this name to overwrite.

Ooh I don't think you have to overwrite anything, just put it in your PublicMaps folder. I suppose I should put some instructions on the first post

Is there anything you can do with the script to make it ensure that your starting units are all able to reach each other? Had a game last night where my warrior & Settler were seperated by a ridge of mountains and some ocean from my Scout. Turned out after some exploration that my scout was trapped in a small cove of his own (well, eventually he found a spider and died, and later Acheron occupied the area...).

Also, how hard would it be to get a map which replaced the mountains with water to make tons of small tracts of ocean, but all broken up by small land bridges which would connect the water should a city be placed just right.... Could make it far more interesting for the Lanun in such a scenario, while retaining the large quantity of choke-points.

Is there anything you can do with the script to make it ensure that your starting units are all able to reach each other? Had a game last night where my warrior & Settler were seperated by a ridge of mountains and some ocean from my Scout. Turned out after some exploration that my scout was trapped in a small cove of his own (well, eventually he found a spider and died, and later Acheron occupied the area...).

I think there is an option to start all of the human players units on the same tile like the AI starts. Other than that, I don't think the map script can actually control where the individual units are placed.

Also, how hard would it be to get a map which replaced the mountains with water to make tons of small tracts of ocean, but all broken up by small land bridges which would connect the water should a city be placed just right.... Could make it far more interesting for the Lanun in such a scenario, while retaining the large quantity of choke-points.

This would be pretty easy to do, but how would it look? Such a configuration doesn't really have a well known analog in nature. It's easy to imagine valleys surrounded by strips of mountains, since that's how we commonly see mountain ranges, but landmasses surrounded by strips of water? In my mind, it may take away from the immersion factor. In a gameplay sense, you can have fun with maps that look like chessboards, etc. that provide certain strategic challenges. In a fictional sense however, you are then moving away from a plausible story and into the realm of puzzle games. That's fine, but not really my intent with this map. The chokepoints are fun, but I think it's even more important to maintain a sense of plausability.

If you want to try it, I think it may be possible to alter just a few lines of code in the PlotMap class and instead of placing initial peaks, you'll place water.

I'll give it a shot, it can be my initiation into mapscripting :) QQ though, will it still place resources like Fish & Clams properly? And what will there be a problem with your code to flood peaks into an area not connected to the ocean (pretty sure there won't be)?

I'll give it a shot, it can be my initiation into mapscripting :) QQ though, will it still place resources like Fish & Clams properly? And what will there be a problem with your code to flood peaks into an area not connected to the ocean (pretty sure there won't be)?

It should be very simple and straightforward. If the water area is very small, it will just be a freshwater lake.

OOSing like crazy with 1 other human player using this, and patch H.
=/

OOSing like crazy with 1 other human player using this, and patch H.
=/

If the map is the cause of OOS, it should happen on turn one. I had a bug in the first version, but I thought I had fixed that.... If not, you can edit the script to turn off the Python random numbers. That should eliminate the only possible cause of OOS from the map.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure you are both using the same version!

I tested this map. Seems that the creating gods were quite lazy... or then Kilmorph was asleep...

I tested this map. Seems that the creating gods were quite lazy... or then Kilmorph was asleep...

That is a map crash. If it happens repeatedly, it's because you have an old map script called 'random.py' in your public maps folder that has the same name as an important Python module. Rename that map script if you have it.

Edit: Why are there fully developed farms and citys on the screenshot? I hope you didn't get too far into the game before noticing! :lol:

Sureshot said:
changing the x and y wraps to true makes the map script pretty neat.. you still get all the valleys but the world is surrounded by water
I'm actually amazed that works at all... :lol: In the beginning, I wanted to have the option to wrap, but I abandoned it early on.

It does wind up being pretty cool. I guess the function you have at the bottom for "future wrap possibilities" works nicely :)

Now if only I could figure out what to change to put it back to being maximum size :) I love me some big maps.

Now if only I could figure out what to change to put it back to being maximum size :) I love me some big maps.

The sizes of the maps can be set arbitrarily in the getGridSize function. However, FFH generates a huge number of barbarians, and also a civs economy will only support so much expansion. The origional size was so big that there was almost no reason to go to war, as there was always barbarian lands to expand into until the end game.

If the map is the cause of OOS, it should happen on turn one. I had a bug in the first version, but I thought I had fixed that.... If not, you can edit the script to turn off the Python random numbers. That should eliminate the only possible cause of OOS from the map.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure you are both using the same version!

How do I make this edit and what would the side effects of the edit be?

It's definitely the map, we're not OOSing on other types...

I got a map like that, but instead it turned out to be nearly all Desert coast to coast with no mountain ridges at all. I had a wierd sort of egypt economy going on the single river cutting across it from the center to the eastern sea..until we OOSed again and gave up hehe.

Top Bottom