Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems strange in a Civ game to have to call this out explicitly but the IGN preview also confirmed that cities can have a garrison of one unit.
This is contrary to the speculation in some quarters that either units would not be allowed in cities (as they would have a built-in defense of some kind) or that cities would have a higher stacking limit.

It seems strange in a Civ game to have to call this out explicitly but the IGN preview also confirmed that cities can have a garrison of one unit.
This is contrary to the speculation in some quarters that either units would not be allowed in cities (as they would have a built-in defense of some kind) or that cities would have a higher stacking limit.

Thank-you, I'll update it with that info, I have also included some more confirmed information after seeing screenshots from CBS including two new terain types

I really think that this topic should be sticked
More news bite?

I really think that this topic should be sticked
More news bite?

not at the moment, though IGN has stated a more feature orientated preview will be out some time this week so there should be some good stuff in that.

LDiCesare posted this:

A few tidbits translated from PC Jeux (French magazine) (my translation into English):

Quote:
each civilization met has its own character.
This is notably visible through different technologies,
mastered only by said civilisation, or buildings or units of a given type.

Quote:
cities are able to defend themselves, without needing to place units inside.
All then depends of the fortifications and buildings inside its walls.

another vote for both sticky-ing (assuming the OP plans on continually updating) and for separating out speculation from actually confirmed details. (maybe just reorganize the post so that the items with evidence but not confirmation are in a different category at the bottom.) otherwise, this could get messy once more articles and screenshots come in.

and thanks to the OP for compiling the information.

Interesting, so building a garrison or a military base provides city defense, but armies are to be sent abroad and into the field. Quite interesting indeed.

Yep, though it dose look like you will be able to keep one unit behind in your cities

This has now been updated will all the information gleaned from the new IGN article, there is quite alot of new information so have a look.

thanks bite

edit: though I just read it again, you could go more in-depth with the AI, it explained it much more in-depth at IGN.

I'll see if I can pad it out with a little more information, though I want to try and keep this as a list rather than a Civpedia

Edit: Just updated it to add Egypt as a Civ, don;t know how I missed that

Oh WOW. Big update. So Songhai is the surprise Civ. Good to know.

yes they were, still two civs left to be reveled which will probably be Greece and the vikings, but I'm willing to be surprised again.

Please have one of those missing civs be the Spanish.

the front runners seam to be Babylon, Vikings, Spain, Persia and Greece

a lot of worthy candidates but only two slots, and one or both could be civs not mentioned above

Wow so this is the rubbish they came up with? One unit per hex? And taking religion and espionage out of the game? Count me as incredibly disappointed.

Effectively they are trying to make the game like Total War for Civilization. Staging battles with a variety of units. But in huge hexes of land it coems off as incredibly lame and unrealistic, especially archers firing over lakes? Sigh?

So now Civ isnt about Stack of Doom...it's about having a million units spread out over huge landscapes to represent battles? I didnt realise medievil battles took place over hundreds of kilometres....So theyve gone from the tried and tested Civ battle this lame sh*t?

They would have been better off to introduce supply lines (where if you cut off a city it can weaken the defenders and make city combat easier - thus discouraging city combat), armies where a variety of units complement the battle (units not across hundreds of km mind you), and land more valuable to offset the city battle woes. That way when someone invades you have to take your armies out to face them straight away.

That image of that archer firing over a lake. Ugh. Terrible.

bite, check out Eurogamer article, too :)

Yer I read through that one, but they quoted the ENglish leader to be Victoria instead of Elizabeth which is what we see in the images and was reported by other news outlets, So I'm going to wait until the info in Eurogamers gets corroborated before I add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom