Brazil discussion thread

Hell yeah!! I knew Brazil would be included in the next expansion, I said it here last year. It was about time.

Now, I quickly read all the discussion and stuff... and to keep it short, Pedro II was a great Emperor, spoke several languages, had a good relationship with all the world leaders at the time and was known to pretty wise overall. Makes sense he is busy with papers. The setting looks pretty much like colonial Brazil, so that was a good choice too.

The UA, Carnival, makes complete sense, and I guess the UU should probably be Bandeirantes. As for UB, I don't know, perhaps a Sambadrome. A UI could be interesting too.

Overall, I'm pretty excited with everything, it looks like this expansion will greatly improve the game.

I'm happy for Brazil to be in (I hope that Portugal also are, but I think the choice of Pedro II is significant in that regard).

Re. uniques, the ethanol plant idea is a great one. Also think that the UA might be happiness and/or culture related, inspired by the Carnival which along with football is probably the most famous aspect of Brazilian culture... maybe even something tying into Golden Ages?

Not bad! :D

I think the capital will be Rio de Janeiro, because it was the capital of Brazil during Pedro II reign.

The order of the cities could be something like:
Rio de Janeiro
Salvador (also a former capital)
Sao Paulo
Fortaleza
Belo Horizonte
Manaus
Porto Alegre
Brasilia
Curitiba
Florianopolis (my city o/)

From a fellow countryman, I think your reasoning is quite correct and your list is very good.

As for the capital, I'm pretty sure Brasilia will be it. Aren't Brazilians always complaining that people think Rio is the capital? So, do you want to confuse people even more?

And I'm pretty sure that, if Rio is the capital, some stupid people will e-mail Firaxis saying: "WTF, you don't even know the capital of Brazil, it's not Rio!", etc.

About the UU I think that the Bandeirantes would be a good choice. Maybe some kind of scout 2.0 that can attack? they were explorers after all.

Hardly, because of the time gap, but a very good idea nonetheless. I'm dying to see a scout replacement in the game.

Brazil's unique ability is Carnival. It works with Tourism. When you have a Golden Age, it's called a Carnival and your tourism output is doubled.

Straight from Ed Beach's mouth. :)

They party their way to cultural victory.

Please, elaborate on that. Where did you get this from? As a Brazilian (and stereotypes aside) I wouldn't mind that at all.

And for everybody else in these foruns that are not from Brazil (my countrymen please correct me if I'm wrong) the single most important trait about Brazil regarding Civilization is our pluralism and our non judgemental approach to all things (except argentinians. :D I'm kidding, I love Argentina more than most). How that can be translated into the game is up for debate.

Not sure if mentioned, but the UA is Carnaval, which replaces the Golden Age with "Carnaval" which doubles the output of Tourism.

Ed and Dennis joined the 2k people and showed the demo again, and revealed more info.

Im happy to see my country making an appearance, my thoughts on the uniques would be:

UA - "Jeitinho"
All buildings that produce :c5happy: happiness, :c5culture: culture or :c5faith: faith, produce one more of that resource(so a monument would produce 3 culture and a shrine would produce 2 faith and so on...). The cost of buying anything in cities with gold or constructing wonders is increased by 20% (or 15%?). Penalties are lost upon discovering Education.

UU - ??? maybe cangaceiro ( replaces rifleman )
Rifleman that heals completely upon pillaging and stats with drill I.

UI - Engenhos ( an impoved plantation ( or plantation/farm? ))
An Engenho can only be built on a tile that can be improved with a plantation (maybe farm too) that grants +1 food, +1 production, +2gold and is unlocked upon discovering Economics.

That way i think it will be a fun and different flavor civ than those that exists already, the "jeitinho" is a double edge, and the major factor BraSilians are loved/hated in real life. The penalties are true too and here everything take/cost a lot more to be done compared to other countries due to very bad and corrupt politicians and the dumb people that put them in power.

The sad part is that in real life we haven't reached "Education" yet to eliminate the penalties... . This is my guess, it would be fun.

As for the capital, I'm pretty sure Brasilia will be it. Aren't Brazilians always complaining that people think Rio is the capital? So, do you want to confuse people even more?

And I'm pretty sure that, if Rio is the capital, some stupid people will e-mail Firaxis saying: "WTF, you don't even know the capital of Brazil, it's not Rio!", etc.

Rio de Janeiro was the capital from 1763 until 1960, when Brasília was founded, so Rio de Janeiro would make more sense.

And yes, there will be stupid people doing that, unfortunately.

Obviously Curitiba should be capital.
24.3.1969-27.3.1969 Hell yeah.
Also, is Osca Niemeyer per chance a great person in CiV?

Almost got it! Happiness - related UA that boost tourism and it is called carnival to boot, woot! I am with Nostradamus power :D

That being said, still curious about the UU and UA. I am still mantaining that it will be Bandeirantes as a UU and the Fazenda as a kind of IU or UB, since plantations were the foundation of the early Brazil economy and determined much of its history, not to mention that it would open the venue for some food producing bonuses, which fits well with Brazil's huge cities (5th biggest country in the world if I am not mistaken).

Keep in mind that unique improvements don't replace existing improvements.

Rio de Janeiro was the capital from 1763 until 1960, when Brasília was founded, so Rio de Janeiro would make more sense.

And yes, there will be stupid people doing that, unfortunately.

I'm well aware Rio was the capital, but putting it in the game as the capital would only confuse people. I'm pretty sure they will choose Brasilia because of that.

I'm well aware Rio was the capital, but putting it in the game as the capital would only confuse people. I'm pretty sure they will choose Brasilia because of that.

Frankly I think Rio is more well-known around the world and associated with Brazil than Brasilia. Between that and the fact that it's the historically accurate choice, and I'd be amazed if Brasilia was the capital.

Frankly I think Rio is more well-known around the world and associated with Brazil than Brasilia. Between that and the fact that it's the historically accurate choice, and I'd be amazed if Brasilia was the capital.

To see things through another perspective,placing Rio as capital of Brazil wouldn't be so different than placing Sydney as the capital of Australia .

Top Bottom