Brazil discussion thread

Brazil is a good addition, and Don Pedro II an especially awesome leader choice too. A leader who was forced out in a coup at the height of his popularity, who felt the monarchy had to fall, and yet made all Brazilians revere his rule...that's just great stuff for a dramatic TV show or movie, that is.

Really? You've never heard of World War 1 or 2?

WWI - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_during_World_War_I The major participation was the Navy's patrol of areas of the Atlantic Ocean.

WWII - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Expeditionary_Force_(FEB) Definitely much bigger participation than in WWI but still not what I would call "participation in the world war".

There hasn't been a single Civ to not have a UU yet, so I'd expect Brazil to still have one

Before G&K we've never heard of UI - new things must happen!

WWI - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_during_World_War_I The major participation was the Navy's patrol of areas of the Atlantic Ocean.

WWII - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Expeditionary_Force_(FEB) Definitely much bigger participation than in WWI but still not what I would call "participation in the world war".
Still participation, is it not?

Before G&K we've never heard of UI - new things must happen!
Yes, with the Incans as the first DLC.

UA is likely to have something to do with Culture, Happiness, Population growth, Territorial expansion or Trade routes.
Since most possible UUs and UBs are post-renaissance, UA is likely to have a considerable impact early game.

Possible UUs: Bandeirantes (Musketman); Dragoons of Independence (Lancer or Cavalry); Fatherland Volunteers (Rifleman); Pracinhas (Infantry); A-29/Super Tucano (Fighter).

Possible UBs: Engenho (Windmill); Biofuel Plant (Recycling Center?); Sambodrome (Theatre or Opera House); Soccer Stadium (Stadium).

Possible UIs: Engenho; Biofuel Plant.

Not going to happen: Cangaceiros; Urutu, Cascavel etc.(Mechanized Infantry replacers); Pilot Plan (Unique National Wonder).

I'm a little bit disappointed about their inclusion.
- I'd prefer having the Tupi with Cunhambebe instead to fill the amazonian spot

Well, nothing forbids the inclusion of Tupi as well, since we have Washington and Hiawatha. :)

- I'm not a fan of industrial or modern leaders (Bismark, Washington, Napoleon, Hailé Sélassié...) showing their modern clothes in 4000 BC

Well, how do you expect they to dress? And what happens with Oda, Elizabeth or Isabel after 1900? Should they change to suits and modern day dresses? And Hiawatha?

That's actually how it was done in Civ III, as I recall. It was pretty jarring seeing Abraham Lincoln in tribal garb, I'm glad they stopped doing that.

I'm also a bit disappointed with Brazil's inclusion; though expectable due to the theme of the expansion and Brazil's current influence in the world. But at least it is a non-Europe civ that has been added. I am happy for the Brazilians to see their nation in the game =)
I just really-really hope that Brazil is going to be the last modern civ that they will be adding in the expansion, a nation such as South Africa would be a joke. Just keep it on tribes/civs with their own unique traits.

That's actually how it was done in Civ III, as I recall. It was pretty jarring seeing Abraham Lincoln in tribal garb, I'm glad they stopped doing that.

It's easier to do with 2D. good luck to you if you want to reproduce it in 3D. Not worth the effort IMO !

I think that Brazil's UA will most likely be "Carnival of Rio de Janeiro" or something referring to it because it's world famous and dates back to 1723 according to Wikipedia.

For what I know,he's far from being a scar to Brazil's history . His achievement were very important to transform a fragile and bankrupt country that faced the threat of being divided,just like other latin american countries into a stable and modern country and although slavery was legal during his reing,he was working very hard to end it . Unfortinately,the price he paid for his work was also as big as his achievements .

I think he meant the way he was overthrown was a scar in Brazil's history, not his reign.

I think he meant the way he was overthrown was a scar in Brazil's history, not his reign.

For me its just a misunderstood translation of "marco".

Ele foi uma grande marco na nossa historia

He was a great mark in our history.

scar - ferida/cicatriz

ps. moderator my latest post with the portuguese phrase, i did to say direct to my fellow brazilian, my english is rather bad and translating what i mean to say, would require translator and the the meaning in the phrase would be lost.

ps2. its football!! not soccer arghhhh :crazyeye::crazyeye:

I'm happy for Brazil to be in (I hope that Portugal also are, but I think the choice of Pedro II is significant in that regard).

Re. uniques, the ethanol plant idea is a great one. Also think that the UA might be happiness and/or culture related, inspired by the Carnival which along with football is probably the most famous aspect of Brazilian culture... maybe even something tying into Golden Ages?

My problem with a UB replacing the Stadium is that it comes TOO late to matter, really, very very very late. At that time, it would be better if we had a second UU, but I'd like a UU and a UB or UI. I hope I don't see carnival, though, it is sure well known but opens a door to stereotypes, I'm also part of the people who dislike it a lot.

I think the most famous unit we could possibly have is the Bandeirante. Many people here suggested it, even though being a symbol of Sao Vicente rather than the country as a whole, and it was sure during the colonial age, but it would have a nice gameplay. Also, I was thinking about the Guarda Nacional (National Guard), which helped to destroy revolts inside the country, but I think I already said that (or was it to my friend? not sure).

Also, can somebody answer me something? Is their color scheme Bright Green and Dark Green (as in the opposite of Arabia) or Bright Green and Weird Blue?

blackcatatonic: That'd be India, I guess

Tinker: thanks for the screenie, but I'm having troubles identifying the icon color... It seems kind of blurred and darker than it would look in-game, so I'm not sure if the middle color is Dark Green or Blue or something in the middle of both... :(

I don't really see how can anyone argue about the inclussion of Brazil as a Civilization. They are far more of a civilization, than say, the Iroquois. Even if they only started to gain weight until very recently in history (such as that was the case with the US), they pose a hefty dose of economical and cultural clout nowadays. About the civs characteristics, I already speculated with some

UU: Bandeirante. Replaces musketman. It starts with a guerrilla promotion. It steals twice the gold when attacking caravans. It can claim a tile adjacent to your border (it expends all its movement units in the process, the process of reclaiming the land last for 2 turns). If said tile belongs to a different civilization, this will be considered an act of war.

UI: Fazenda. Replaces plantations. In addition to the regular yields, fazenda tiles generates 1 extra food (2 after the discovery of the steam engine) and produces one additional luxury resource.

UA: Carnival (yes, yes, I know, I know. But this is likely to be reflected): Cities celebrating "we love the King's day" grows at a +200% rate instead of +100%, and duplicate its tourism output.

Top Bottom