Indonesia discussion

Compared to everyone else, the lack of synergy is kind of striking. If you're going to encourage someone to expand on another continent so hard, why give them a weird melee unit?

Compared to everyone else, the lack of synergy is kind of striking. If you're going to encourage someone to expand on another continent so hard, why give them a weird melee unit?

Devil's Advocate here--they could have just given them a weak UU because of how strong they play overall.

I wouldn't expand to another continent. I'd look for small islands right off the coast of my start continent then beeline the tech that lets you embark units.

"Spice Islanders"
"The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed)."

I like Indonesia for myself personally because it sounds like a challenging civ that really forces you to adapt to the map

If you settle at a place with an enemy army already strongly established in numbers that just makes it even better

I can't complain because I'm just happy they are finally in but I agree with everyone that it's a bit odd given the new trade mechanics that they aren't more syngergized

But all those resources will be great for trading

while I do love the inclusion of Gajah Mada and Indonesian civ, I feel it very odd that the civ will be named "Indonesia" because that name is not used until 19th century during Dutch East Indies colonisation.

Why don't the just call it Majapahit empire or Java empire (altough this willl be inaccurate because Majapahit core territory is Eastern Java, Madura and Bali, but not including western Java which is the territory of Sunda kingdom)

So you don't like Indonesia because it is inaccurate and then suggest Java which you also admit is inaccurate. Indonesia is like India. It wasn't their name for much of their history, but it's instantly recognizable for a western audience so they know where and what it is. It also allows them to include more of their history than just the Majapahit if they wanted to.

That being said, I've (jokingly) said before that the reason to not use Majapahit is because most people won't be able to remember the order that the j, p, and h go in.

ETA: A lot of people are saying that Indonesia is hard to play as. Does that make them the "pro" civ so we can put to rest that random bit of speculation?

Heck these guys could be the kings of the plus maps if those have enough space for cities. Could even play on a Pangaea then maybe. also they say 2 unique luxuries from each city but are those 2 of the same kind per city and a total of 3 luxuries types or just 6 copies of 1 luxury type. there is no way they gain 6 unique type that would be to ignore happiness for the critical part of the game.

Also, Indonesia is a cultural + geographical + historical continuation of Majapahit and Java. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the name

And about the UB Candi: To everyone, it is not "candy" but more like "chandi" with the distinct "Ch"

Edit: Got rid of instruction for vowels. Westerners get a pass on that because it's more precise than I know how to explain in words. Just make sure you have the 'H' in Candi. It's not like Espana where in the West it becomes Spain. Candi everywhere in the world has the H sound

I imagine that the spice islands you create will have Nutmeg and Cloves as unique resources. It's a really strong UA for sure, given the right real estate, I guess I'd just think they'd get a naval unit to go along with it. I don't understand the Kris Warrior's bonus, thematically or logically, so maybe that's just on me.

ETA: A lot of people are saying that Indonesia is hard to play as. Does that make them the "pro" civ so we can put to rest that random bit of speculation?

I'm in favor of putting it to rest simply because it was so vague and meaningless as to be completely uninformative. Frankly, even once we've seen all the civs, I don't know if we'll know what that was supposed to mean.

And about the UB Candi: To everyone, it is not "candy" but more like "chandi" with the "a" vowel in there sounding like the vowels pronounced in the name "Sean"

Thank you. I'm glad to know that.

"Spice Islanders"
"The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed)."

So.., let's say my Jakarta was built on Java Island, and I have three other cities on Australia..
Are that three cities get the resources?? You don't need to settle each on separating islands right?? :confused:

So.., let's say my Jakarta was built on Java Island, and I have three other cities on Australia..
Are that three cities get the resources?? You don't need to settle each on separating islands right?? :confused:

Seems right. It doesn't stipulate that the three need to be on separate landmasses.

The orangutans are singing. The komodo dragons are dancing. The clouds have cleared. The sun has shined.

Indonesia is here

It's almost as we could breath the happiness you exude. Congratulations! :)
I really hope the UA part that says "continents other than where Indonesia started" also includes islands and not only big landmasses.
Although I think it's a weird civ, I would gladly give it a chance. Seems like a fun and varied option.

OMG, Indonesia is in!
This is great news! I'm going to play them first just for being Indonesia.
Gajah Mada looks quite fat, had hoped for beautiful Queen Tribhuwana or muscular warrior king Raden Wijaya.
I'm worried Maria I will be the only female leader.

One thing I can see being annoying is "unrazeable" cities in the hands of the AI. The AI is almost certain to settle those indestructible cities in some super-lame, annoying spot and waste a ton of city site potential whenever possible.

One thing I can see being annoying is "unrazeable" cities in the hands of the AI. The AI is almost certain to settle those indestructible cities in some super-lame, annoying spot and waste a ton of city site potential whenever possible.

Knowing the AI, they'll lose the city within 5 turns to whatever army is parked there

Knew it was gonna be Mada! Though I didn't think he was going be chubby.

Top Bottom