Jaguar Line Dancing, or My Jaguar Warrior is a sheepdog.

SuperDave9x19

Chieftain
I have had Civ3 since it came out, and after beating it on Regent on a couple different scenarios, I let my Civ3 disk catch a little dust. Haven’t been back checking this forum out in over a year. Read a thing about “Jag Rush”, and read the discussions on Jaguar Warriors with interest. I noticed that people dwell on it’s low atack/def ratings and just sort of gloss over the movement capabilities. That is the main event for Jag Line Dancing.

During that awkward adolescent period, likely after your first real war has ended and you are working on your sea travel/culture/connection/resource allocation, the Jaguar Warrior is likely the most cost effective land control tool in the game. Their effectiveness continues for a long time and I almost NEVER upgrade Jags to the dead end Swordsman. But consider that you have one core area of control and a bunch of spidery outlying cicies that extend like spiders awaiting cultural investment.

Get a line of 3 or more jags and move them such that they form a blocking line. Against the o so standard spearman/settler exploration group, you can use 3 Jags to completely control the direction your adversaries proceed in whether friend, foe or indifferent. Never saw it listed but it is an immensely powerful tool for drawing up a long term map of newly settled cities during that final rush for uncontrolled land that has NEVER been settled. Attack defense strength irrelevant as you are merely funnelling traffic, not atacking or defending.

Force compettitors towards tundra as you take game and pelts in that period when you are scrabbling for the last of the mediocre unclaimed territory.

I just thought I’d take credit for that simple concept. Actually, I bet most Aztec players use it regularly, but I guess I am just taking credit for the cool name.

Ciao.

Actually, in PTW, swordsman aren't a dead end upgrade anymore, so this is potentially even more useful than you think....

never tried PTW. My wife loses me too much if I do multiplayer. I stopped MP games in 2002.

Thanx.

I thought sure I was gonna lose my game (Reb's Earth, Huge, Regent, concentrating on my military asI always win culturally) this weekend, but I had 6 jags just keeping the Turkmenistan and the Arabian Penninsula and the red sea crossover to Africa clean of compettitors while horrible understaffed militarily.

3 civs were not taking offers from me on 2-3 techs (that is WAY behind, IMO) either, so I was WAY behind. GLs were not coming up and I STILL haven't had a Golden Age :( and i don't get it. I guess that when I play a more militaristic game (I am a culture monger as a rule) with my militaristic civ I don't get GLs and GAs as easy as I did in Pattch 1.17.

Any input on GLs and GAs for Aztecs on Regent level?

GLs were not coming up and I STILL haven't had a Golden Age and i don't get it. I guess that when I play a more militaristic game (I am a culture monger as a rule) with my militaristic civ I don't get GLs and GAs as easy as I did in Pattch 1.17.

You get your golden age when you win a battle with your unique unit. So all you have to do is kill something with your jag warrior...an archer or a longbowman or something. As for GL's there are a lot of strategies for leader fishing. Basically only attack enemy units with elites when you know it's a sure victory. If it's not a sure win then use your veterans and hope they get promoted.

Thanx.

But, I was killing with a Elite Jag and it never came up.

I even pumped all $$$research money$$$ into happiness, sacrificing science 1 turn to no avail. I must have something going on in my game that kills Golden Age initiation.

I am about to lose this game. It is 1776 I am way behind, railroads are starting (too late for me, I think) to enrich my enemies mobility horribly, but I am mobilized for war and really finally putting out.

Realized I was running as a Monarchy for too long. I dunno what I was thinking except that "maybe I need less war weariness" and am getting back on track with money and hopefully will entertain a bit of a tech surge after I whomp Cleopatra (reduced her to 2 cities about 1000 yr ago) and declare peace and get back on track to building non-war things and enriching my conquerred lands.

Sometimes they don't show up. Sometimes, I get half a dozen.
IMO, stick to republic and never leave it. The prodction bonus in democracy isn t that great.

Top Bottom