Overall Civ Elimination Thread

Arabia- 26
Assyria- 7 - no, they're not the best Civ in the game, but it's not their time to go yet. The Siege Tower alone is enough reason. Ludicrously amazing unit.
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 3 - Egypt on the other hand can go. The War Chariot is useless, the UA isn't fantastic and the UB is... not good enough to make up for the rest. Also Ramesses the AI is infuriating.
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22.
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 17
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 11
Persia- 21
Poland- 23
Polynesia- 4
Portugal- 18
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

Assyria- 7 - no, they're not the best Civ in the game, but it's not their time to go yet. The Siege Tower alone is enough reason. Ludicrously amazing unit.
Egypt - 3 - Egypt on the other hand can go. The War Chariot is useless, the UA isn't fantastic and the UB is... not good enough to make up for the rest. Also Ramesses the AI is infuriating.

I got attacked by Assyria (I had built Wonders he wanted) when I was playing as Egypt and my 'useless' War Chariots made short work of those 'Ludicrously amazing' Siege Towers ...just saying.

I have made my case for Egypt ...but haters are going to hate

Arabia- 26
Assyria- 7
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 3
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22.
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 17
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 11
Persia- 21+1=22 Longer Golden Ages are Great. Immortal and Satraps Court are pretty decent, but the UA is what makes the civ good.
Poland- 23
Polynesia- 4-3=1 Their UA allows you to meet all the players which could make you head of the World Congress, but does little else. The UI need to be built in a chain, and the UU is not that great.
Portugal- 18
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

Arabia- 26
Assyria- 8 - No, don't die yet, Assyria. I love rushing with siege towers, and this comes from player that doesn't usually like early rushes (especially in BNW). Beeline for mathematics and construction and kill your closest neighbor with siege towers and couple comp bows, and take their techs. UB is not that good, since filling that writing slot early is not easy with this playstyle, but Assyria is still very good warmonger.
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 3
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 14 - Biggest disappointment of the fall patch. Culture boost from fishing boats seems more like an pantheon rather than part of UA. Zero not costing Oil will take this out of "Worst UU" title, but can't save this civ. Neither can Samurai's fishing boat ability.
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 11
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Polynesia- 1
Portugal- 18
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

I got attacked by Assyria (I had built Wonders he wanted) when I was playing as Egypt and my 'useless' War Chariots made short work of those 'Ludicrously amazing' Siege Towers ...just saying.

War Chariots aren't totally useless I suppose but they are lacklustre in comparison to many of the others. And Siege Towers are very strong for quickly capturing a city but if you let them get fired on you deserve everything you get ;)

Biggest disappointment of the fall patch. Culture boost from fishing boats seems more like an pantheon rather than part of UA. Zero not costing Oil will take this out of "Worst UU" title, but can't save this civ. Neither can Samurai's fishing boat ability.

The Samurai actually helped me clear out barbarians and then save me a couple of hammers/gold for building work boats for my new city and instead focused on what's needed there, like maybe a Granary, a Library or a Lighthouse. The extra culture also increased my borders without me having to build a monument. I have to admit, it's still very easy to overlook this ability but they have their uses.

My vote, however, goes to:

Arabia- 26
Assyria- 9
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 3
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 14
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 11
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Polynesia- 0
Portugal- 18
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

Still Assyria for me. I forgot to mention in my last vote, even if I only had one great work of writing, I could always swap that great work to wherever I was building my units to get that free exp. So I get both science and military up, that's a good thing, no?

Kicking out Polynesia. Still feels underwhelming, even though Moai gives a bit of Tourism.

Arabia- 26
Assyria- 6
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 3
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 14
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 11
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

Moderator Action: Please remember to provide reasons, otherwise your post counts as spam.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Assyria- 6-3=3
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 3+1=4
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 14
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 11
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

While I think there are certainly better Civs than Egypt, I don't think there's any reason to have them out before some of the other ones listed. Many people look at them only as a tall wonder-builder, when they actually can shine as a wide civ. With Piety and the two Follower Beliefs, you can have +3 Faith, +4 Happiness, +2 Culture, and +25% gold from a free building (that you also build in half the time). The War Chariot is faster and stronger than an Archer, so that's great for defending your early cities. Sure the UA works better with Tradition, but that boost can help get up your NC faster.

I've done the above strategy and it worked wonderfully. I grew Thebes a bit and rushed towards the NC. I opened Piety and Liberty and eventually worked my way through them while spamming out Settlers. Because of my super Burial Tombs, my happiness was under control and still generated enough culture to work through both Social Policies.

As for Assyria, early warmongering is generally a bad idea in BNW. The Siege Tower is a monster and can easily take un-walled cities will very little support. The problem with this, however, is that you lose trade-route partners (thus losing out on gold and science), and make enemies that could last awhile. Taking a city that early will also generally give you some happiness problems. Sure it's nice to steal some tech, but as I said before, if they're more technologically advanced, your units may be outclassed.

Assyria- 4 (+1)
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 4
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 21
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 14
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8

Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

Saving Assyria for one vote more because of Ash's glorious beard. And also because of the nice UA, awesome UU and a disappointing UB. When I heard about it, I thought - damn, that's cool, so Great Writings will be very important to Assyria. Too bad the bonus isn't something really awesome. Should be a unique promotion IF the writing it contains wasn't created by your civ, maybe? Like something that increases XP rate, adds XP for pillaging, maybe makes your unit better at doing something... Well, I don't really know.

Still, doesn't deserve to go out now.

-3 off Ottomans. Janissary is cool, but there are way better UU's. It's nice that it has a unique ability you can't get elsewhere (except for Jaguar which also has Woodsman, but I think it gets less HP?) and it's Turkey's saving grace, because the Sipahi is meh and I never liked the UA much. Still, the worst. By far.

Assyria- 4
Austria- 15
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14
Egypt - 4
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 11
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

The Inca are great civ, especially when combined with liberty. This civ is given a boost if next to Mt Kilamanjaro, as units move across hills like roads. UU is ordinary, however, but may be useful in times of early war. UI is awesome when you are situated near mountains. The mountains, in turn, offer additional food as well as defence (unless your opponent is Carthage).

Japan (even after patch) still needs more work. I'd recommend greater boosts to sea resources, not just culture. In vanilla, this civ is awesome when warmongering, but horrible in G&K and BNW, especially during peace time. Samuaris are ok an zeros aren't really that special.

Assyria- 4
Austria- 15+1=16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch- 14-3=11
Egypt - 4
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 11
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21
Zulu- 23

Sorry for my previous response. My previous response for Austria remained unchanged and I simply forgot I had not already spoken against Morocco. As for this vote once again Austria remains the same I will fight for them until the bitter end I really believe they are the best civ in the game. I really don't see how they don't fit into any player play style I would love a description as to why people don't think they mesh to their play style.
The dutch on the other hand, are not all that good. Their ability is ok but not that great it really isn't necessary at all. The sea beggar is good but not at all unique and really not necessary. You only need 1 2 privateers the rest of the fleet should be frigates. Their improvement isn't great. If you have marsh you stuck with the awful tiles for a quarter of the game. If you start with flood plains then they are better but still not enough to fix the civ. I just don't feel like they do anything really

Assyria- 4
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch - 11
Egypt - 4
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 11 -3 = 7 How is this civ still around? About 1/2 of coastal starts don't provide sea resources.
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 21 + 1 = 22 Sweden takes some getting used to but it's really powerful in BNW thanks to all the different types of Great People.
Zulu- 23

Assyria- 4
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch - 11 + 1 = 12. I love polders (colorful!). I love sea beggars even more.
Egypt - 4
England- 22
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 23 - 3 = 20. I don't like early game land conquest, so the UA doesn't suit me. Panzers are entirely worthless. If you haven't won a domination victory (or aren't mopping up) by the time you get to tanks, something has gone terribly wrong. And in my mind, a tank is a tank. Having a better tank than others is not going to give you an advantage with all the various weapons of destruction that are available in the atomic age. They might as well not have a UU. (I will admit that I haven't played them on BNW yet but I doubt the Hanse would change my opinion.)
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 7
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 22
Zulu- 23

The dutch on the other hand, are not all that good. Their ability is ok but not that great it really isn't necessary at all. The sea beggar is good but not at all unique and really not necessary. You only need 1 2 privateers the rest of the fleet should be frigates. Their improvement isn't great. If you have marsh you stuck with the awful tiles for a quarter of the game. If you start with flood plains then they are better but still not enough to fix the civ. I just don't feel like they do anything really

Absolute nonsense. In my opinion, the sea beggar is the most powerful unit in the game. It is the only unit that can be automatically promoted to logistics from the moment it is built (if you have an armory). I would argue that the Dutch are the most powerful naval civ. They are somewhat slow starters, but they own the Renaissance and beyond.

The Austrians are probably underrated but I will take the Dutch any day.

I would argue that the Dutch are the most powerful naval civ. They are somewhat slow starters, but they own the Renaissance and beyond.

Interesting comment, seeing as I've never seen a sea beggar that couldn't be blown to matchwood by a SOTL. I think the Dutch are certainly better than some civs and I quite like the sea beggar, but the most powerful naval civ? That's some claim!

Assyria- 4
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 10
China- 25
Dutch - 12
Egypt - 4
England- 23
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 20
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 4
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 22
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 22
Zulu- 23

England: The most powerful naval civ (sorry Holywar!)
Japan: I find them disappointing to play because I'm always left feeling they should be stronger than they actually are given their UA.

Assyria- 4
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 7 I really want to like the Celts, but all their uniques are just a little too limited. The UA is great for getting a pantheon, but quickly loses it's usefulness (+1 faith in a city isn't much down the line). The UU loses the faith bonus when it upgrades. Then conversely the happiness from the UB comes a little later than would be ideal.
China- 25
Dutch - 12
Egypt - 4
England- 23
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 20
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 4
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 23 The UA and the pathfinder combine to give them a great head start, and make them generally fun to play
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 22
Zulu- 23

Assyria- 5 (+1) They may not be the best, but the free techs on city capture is very useful, even in the late game, as if you're warring a lot there's a good chance your science is taking a hit. Siege towers are just fantastic, and they don't completely destroy your cash; play tradition with the policy that give money and happiness for every 2 citizens in the capital, and you could have 2-3 of these, and a few CBs, which can take any capital. Royal Library is kinda mediocre, though.
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 9
China- 25
Dutch - 12
Egypt - 4
England- 23
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 20
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 1 (-3) Zero is still next to useless even with no oil requirement thanks to limited aircraft stacking (rarely build fighters, and when I do, I never use them against other fighters), Samurai are just longswordsmen that get GGs faster and have flat ground promotion (whoop-de-doo) and can build fishing boats (still have no use for this). Bushido has been buffed a little, but +1 culture from fishing boats, unless you have a very lucky start, is negligible, and +2 from atolls is useless due to general lack of them, especially in desirable city spots. The "always fight at full health" still can't cut it. Sorry, Japan.
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 23
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 22
Zulu- 23

Japan- 11 -3 = 7 How is this civ still around? About 1/2 of coastal starts don't provide sea resources.
11-3 = 8 added 1 to Japan
Arabia got missed off when the list was updated, wish people would be more careful we keep losing civs prematurely

Arabia 26
Assyria- 2 -3 Not the worst one left but they are inferior to Egypt overall
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 9
China- 25
Dutch - 12
Egypt - 5 +1 See above
England- 23
Ethiopia- 22
Germany- 20
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 2
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 23
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 22
Zulu- 23

Arabia 26
Assyria- 3
Austria-16
Aztec- 18
Babylon- 21
Carthage- 11
Celts- 9 - 3 = 6
China- 25
Dutch - 12
Egypt - 2
England- 23
Ethiopia- 22 + 1 = 23
Germany- 20
Greece- 17
Huns- 14
Inca- 22
Indonesia- 17
Japan- 2
Korea- 21
Maya- 25
Mongols- 20
Ottomans 8
Persia- 22
Poland- 23
Portugal- 19
Rome- 21
Shoshone- 23
Siam- 22
Songhai- 16
Spain- 19
Sweden- 22
Zulu- 23

Celts - I love Boudica's AI, but both of their UU and UA have limited use. Halls are mediocre at best. :cry: Sorry Red, just not that good.

Ethiopia - overall very balanced and strong civ. Their UB will allow you to grab first pantheon, their UA works perfect with their UU. I hate Ethiopian AI, but that doesn't take out how strong this civ is.

Top Bottom