music - sounds from civ1

deathfry

Chieftain
is it possible to download? Wanna make a SMS melody)

specifically i need a melody from new achievement by science

eh....We all are looking at the same text? I thought I wrote it already. Well, it will be nice to get all melodies / sounds, but I need a melody that is played when the new research is done

I need a melody that is played when the new research is done

Heh, what Tristan is asking is which civ are you playing? The tune played when you get an advance is your nation's own "anthem", so it's different for each nation. If you're playing as the English, it's a snippet of Elgar's "Pomp And Circumstance", or if you are playing as the Americans it is a half-bar of "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic".

These are also the signature tunes played when you meet an opponent's ruler. Thus if you're playing as England, and you meet the Americans, you hear the Battle Hymn. These sounds are stored in your CIV directory as separate files, not embedded into the civ.exe itself, so you already have them.

Navigate your computer's file system to the CIV directory and look for .WAV files. There are 14 of them, one for each civ, plus a few more for other events in the game, like winning or losing battles, starting the game, winning or losing the game, special sounds for cannon attacks and nuclear weapons, et cetera.

What you are looking for are the "anthems", which are:

alex.wav = Alexander of the Greeks
ceas.wav = Caesar of the Romans
eliz.wav = Elizabeth I of the English
fred.wav = Frederick of the Germans
gand.wav = Gandhi of the Indians
geng.wav = Genghis of the Mongols
hama.wav = Hammurabi of the Babylonians
linc.wav = Abraham Lincoln of the Americans
mao.wav = Mao Tse Tung of the Chinese
mont.wav = Montezuma of the Aztecs
napo.wav = Napolean of the French
rams.wav = Rameses of the Egyptians
shak.wav = Shaka of the Zulus
stal.wav = Stalin of the Russians

Even if you customize your tribe and ruler's name at the start of a new game, you are still playing "under the colors" of one of the standard civs, which is indicated in the input area where you type in your own tribe's name. If it says "Americans" before you type in "Teletubbies", then through that whole game you will hear "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" every time you achieve a scientific advance.

Navigate your computer's file system to the CIV directory and look for .WAV files. There are 14 of them, one for each civ, plus a few more for other events in the game, like winning or losing battles, starting the game, winning or losing the game, special sounds for cannon attacks and nuclear weapons, et cetera.

Thanks for an answer.
But the problem is that i haven't such files in directory.
2.jpg

Thanks for an answer. But the problem is that i haven't such files in directory.

That's tragic, things are so much simpler in CIVWin. Looks like you have 14 directories named KING00 to KING13, and sounds are contained in .CVL files. If your quest was my quest, i would open those King folders and see if there's a CVL file in each of them. If there was, then i would copy one of them to another folder in the filesystem, then tinker with it. First, i would try renaming a .CVL file to a .WAV extension and see if an audio editor could open/play it. If not, then i'd try the extension .MID and if that didn't work, then i'd ask someone who plays the same exact version of Civ. That's not me, sorry to be of less help to you than others in this forum might be.

Yeah, I was going to say... WAV files would probably be for Civwin, not DOS.

I only see the same files posted by deathfry. In a case like this I think it would save time to just make a high-fidelity recording instead of trying to reconstitute a particular sound bite from the data files (I just see ones like "ASOUND.CVL" for Adlib/Soundblaster— 38kb for all digital sound?!— and "RSOUND.CVL" for the roland analog tracks).

add/edit: The KINGxx entries that look like directories in his picture, I think those are .PAL files.

Here are roland tracks I seem to have here already in attachments: title/splash InTheBeginning Indian Murica

well, i have found the win version of civilization 1, but the music / sounds seems different from dos-version to me. any ideas how to get dos sounds?
Tristan, thanks for tracks - that's what I need. How could i get all of them?

not much) I'll wait for Tristan's answer - if he has one's melody, then he possibly have another) or maybe he'll could make an archive
with all the sounds *dreaming*

I've sort of been meaning to record the rest of the tracks just in case my MT-32 dies. Since it's 25 years old and stuff. Unfortunately, all the main themes for each civ would make a rather large file to attach here. But I'm sure I can manage the fanfare bites, they are only 5 seconds or so, I think. Those are what you really wanted, right?

well, you could attach an archive anywhere, i ' ll download it. But if it's too hard to do then make a music for riots, pleasem if possible)

Top Bottom