Cavaleiros Diplomacy

Joshua368

Warmongering builder
Just had a hunch with Team Cav pausing the game, so I quickly jumped in to check, and...

Team Cav! Playing Joao of Portugal. Tech situation is pretty predictable, given their place on the score chart. ;)

It is interesting that they don't have hunting as well as archery, but that's probably intentional to build HR warriors. As far as tech goes, they are equal to Kaz except missing Hunting and Monotheism.

I suppose it's only a brief matter of time before we get a welcome and a request for open borders. I'm going to send them a brief PM to lead them to our team email account...

I checked and neither team has any of the mathematic threesome yet. (calendar, construction, currency) Also nothing higher than Monotheism up that route.

Yay, only SANCTA to go now! :D

After the welcomes and greetings are over and done with, we should definitely work on getting a deal for Feudalism ironed out ASAP. Better than waiting and letting Kaz get in ahead of us. ;)

Chatted to oyzar for a bit. He seems fairly cocky, but then he always is - must be just his personality, a mild streak of arrogance or something. Wouldn't let up on his "suggestions" for what we did wrong to get to this point, couldn't seem to get him to realise it was mostly bad luck that we didn't meet anyone for ages. ;)

Anyway, their team email is: teamcavaleiros@gmail.com

Cav want to know whether we'll open borders to them too. I don't see any particular reason to refuse.

Chatted to oyzar for a bit. He seems fairly cocky, but then he always is - must be just his personality, a mild streak of arrogance or something. Wouldn't let up on his "suggestions" for what we did wrong to get to this point, couldn't seem to get him to realise it was mostly bad luck that we didn't meet anyone for ages. ;)

How would he know what we did wrong anyway, other than obviously not getting our own exploring units out early enough? But yeah, best to not let a single user effect your opinion of the whole team, wait for some group emails first. ;)

And yeah, no reason to not give open borders.

Got to have a MSN conversation with Renata... apparently the team prefers IM conversations to emails, so I suppose that's mostly how we'll communicate. While it makes both sides a bit more loose with what information is given, at least it means communication should happen at a decent pace! ;)

I think Renata is going to be their designated diplomat? He isn't disagreeable to speak with at least, unlike oyzar apparently.

Main things on the table right now is that he asked if we would offer open borders (obviously we will accept this) and more importantly a non-aggression pact for the time being. He wouldn't give me his current diplomatic situation with the other civs, but said he'd likely fill us in on that depending on how things go here.

Personally given that we have almost no army and almost no hammers to make an army I support a non-aggression pact, we need all the safety and goodwill we can get. (and maybe "death to SANCTA!!" if Mad Scientists' message meant anything :p ) Unfortunately we have no idea how close they are... though if they are nearby that is all the more reason to accept the pact given our weak defenses.

Other than that I told him we were researching Feudalism and would have it in over a dozen turns, and that we were very interested in any possible trades. He doesn't know we have any finalized trading plans with Kav, though it will probably become clear if we suddenly acquire two techs next turn.

IM seems good in these circumstances. Using email is ridiculously slow. Naturally we should not make any promises using IM before discussing with the team.

Open borders - yes
Non agrresion pact - yes. Maybe to some predefined turn like 150 or something?

We should definately try to get trade for Feudalism with them.

I would be quite cautious concerning the anti-SANCTA group. We shouldn't pick our side before we've better info. Are Cavaleiros also against them?

Just jumping in, but it seems that both open borders and non-agression pact would be a good idea. Open borders allows us easy intelligence (simply see where and what they have got) and non-agression keeps us safe...for now.

Renata just added me to his MSN too.

Yes to open borders. Definitely yes to non-aggression, we have nothing to lose there. And yes to arranging a trade for Feudalism ASAP. :)

What anti-SANCTA group? MS apparently doesn't like them, which is understandable. As for Kaz and Cav, it seems highly likely that they have at least a tech alliance going with SANCTA - how else would they be so advanced?

But yes, we shouldn't jump to conclusions before we know more info. I'm just saying that there's no reason for us to assume that either Cav or Kaz bear any grudge at all against SANCTA at the moment.

From Renata:

Renata said:
I just wanted to keep you up to date. We'll have the letter for you on Monday, I think. Unfortunately, certain people with the responsibility of composing such things (*cough*me*cough*) are ridiculously busy until then.

Message from Cav:

Hail Team Saturn:

Our emissaries have brought us the news that they have approached your
shores, and we are delighted to make your acquaintance at long last!
Still more are we pleased to learn that your people bear us only good
will, as we do you.

We have learned that your wise men are busy at work on the secrets of
Feudalism, and we would be happy to discuss trading options further
down the line. In the meantime, though, we would like to offer you a
temporary treaty of non-aggression and open borders, in order that
good will may be preserved, and potential misunderstandings may be
avoided.

The treaty offer reads as follows:

::: A pact of non-aggression, effective immediately [Turn 84], and not
to be cancelled prior to the elapse of 50 game turns [Turn 134]. 20
turns notice must be given of intent to cancel; hence such notice may
not be given prior to Turn 114.
::: An open borders agreement, effective immediately upon signing, and
to be kept in effect for as long as the non-aggression pact lasts.

In addition, we are sorry to hear that your explorers have all come to
unpleasant ends and that your knowledge of our world is therefore
lacking. We can certainly sympathize. We may be willing to fill in
some of the gaps in your knowledge in exchange for whatever
geographical information you do possess, perhaps with the
understanding that any differential in the amount of information
exchanged will be compensated at a later date, or perhaps for no
further price, depending on how negotiations go.

We look forward to working with you in the future.

Yours in friendship,
Renata dos Cavaleiros for Team Cavaleiros
Not that we'd probably have a reason to cancel, but it seems a bit weird that they're effectively tying us to permanent open borders as long as peace lasts. Shouldn't that be our choice? But whatever.

Also, are they talking about map trades or just general written descriptions of geography? Even with map trades, it seems dubious to be charging us after the event for any differences in the number of tiles revealed. That kind of thing should be agreed upon before any trades take place. But certainly with written descriptions, it seems downright stupid to charge in-game for those.

I don't think we need to pay anything for maps. The last civilization will meet us soon enough and we don't really need to know anything other than our immediate geography for expanding cities. (information that they won't really have anyway)

Open borders and non-agression pact are ok.

I don't mind paying some gold, if the map is very useful. However assuming that diplomacy continues to be slow, I wouldn't bother negotating for such a minor thing.

Okay, we need to write up some sort of reply to this! Can't forget that now can we? :p

Not much to tell there, open borders and non-aggression are okay, not interested in paying for maps. Don't really have any tech possibilities for them. Is that all the email will have?

Seems alright to me. Here is some kind of draft. Someone fluent in English, might want to add some role playing and politeness. My skills suit better for just telling the facts :).

Greetings, team Cavaleiros!

We are very pleased to meet your emissaries and receive your kind message. We really like your suggestion concerning non-agression pact and gladly accept it.

Currently I suspect that we don't have geographical info that would be valuable to you and frankly we're not that intresting to pay for your info unless it could be negotiated as a part of some bigger trade.

Kind regards...

Here's a revised version:

Greetings, team Cavaleiros!

Our people are very pleased to meet your emissaries and receive your kind message!

We have considered your offer of a non-aggression pact combined with open borders, and are happy to accept this as it stands. We look forward to discussing trading options with you in the near future, particularly surrounding Feudalism.

Currently I suspect that we don't have geographical info that would be valuable to you, and frankly we're not particularly interested in paying for your geographical info at this time. We feel that it's very difficult to put a price on map information, and thus it's better to simply have a free and open discussion between teams rather than having one side trying to charge the other for their information. That way there's no chance for anyone to feel hard done by. :)

Kind regards,
Lord Parkin of Saturn
If everyone's happy, I'll send it in about 12 hours. :)

D'oh, no. Thanks for the reminder. Sent now. :)

No reply from them? I'm worried since it would be nice if we could have some sort of Feudalism techs from them. But they probably know about Feudalism since Kaz knows.

Should we send a message?

Hello, Cav.

We were just wondering if you would like to obtain Feudalism from us (which we will obtain in a few turns) in exchange for another tech you have.

Regards, Team Saturn.

We should probably wait until we DO have a few turns left ....

Top Bottom