Am I being used ?

Jelster

Prince
You know you often get the request from another Civ "Come my friend, let's go to war against the evil ????" Well a couple of times recently I've noticed that, although we're both meant to be at war, come the 10 turns and it's time for action, I seem to be waging war on my own, even though the other Civ has made a DoW, I'm the only one doing the fighting....

Right this moment I'm 3 turns from going to war sis=de by side with Babylon, but he has no units on, or near, the enemy border. I feel like saying "no" when he tells me it's time.

Am I just being paranoid, or does this often happen ??

You know you often get the request from another Civ "Come my friend, let's go to war against the evil ????" Well a couple of times recently I've noticed that, although we're both meant to be at war, come the 10 turns and it's time for action, I seem to be waging war on my own, even though the other Civ has made a DoW, I'm the only one doing the fighting....

Right this moment I'm 3 turns from going to war sis=de by side with Babylon, but he has no units on, or near, the enemy border. I feel like saying "no" when he tells me it's time.

Am I just being paranoid, or does this often happen ??

Very often. Sometimes your erstwhile ally will make a serious attack, and sometimes they totally just screw off and leave you hanging. You never know what they'll do. A lot of times, a civ will DoW on another civ (or on you) just to have an excuse to attack their CS's that are nearby to them and take them over, or just to get out of a bad peace deal where they're stuck forking over a lot of gold and luxuries and stuff for many turns. Other times, they have no obvious reason and just sit there picking their nose. :shrug:

Never depend on the AI to be a competent or even participatory ally. About the only thing you can truly depend on them for, is to give you a negative diplo hit for being successful at doing what they asked you to do.

Then again, I've been guilty of this too. I take comfort that, provided they share a border with the target, the enemy civ will likely have to devote resources to both fronts.

They will sometimes try to use you. Other times it may just be because the situation has changed. However, they never apologise if things changed and they can`t carry out what they agreed to do.

I know I was used by Maria when she arranged to DOW on Atilla with me then a few turns after we declared war she turned around and backstabbed me declaring war. She pretty much admitted her deceit. That was the end of our friendship.

I had a situation where I tell a civ I need 10 turns to prepare for war against X and then the civ I tell that too declares war on me. After I made peace with the civ, for the rest of the game he was like "I can't wait until we go to war against X..."

I guess you are being used to some extent, although I have my doubts whether the AI conciously tries to lure you into this, or whether it's just a reflection of it's poor strategic performance (it decides to declare war, but forgot to mobilize units?). But who knows, perhaps it's more sneaky than it comes across on first look. I sometimes do the same, agree to DoW someone even if I have no intend on actually go to war with them, but simply to appease the other AI and get favorable standing with them, and sometimes you can even net some free cash of resources as part of a peace settling.

sh*t bro unless im trying a diplo victory or im parked right beside an obvious more powerful civ at the time i always declare war for no reason on AIs or decalre war when another AI asks me to. seems 95 percent of the time i dont even come near them anyways... and 20 turns later i get a peace offering that involves gold.. lots of gold and GPT. i use AIs like dirk diggler used condoms

I'm south, the Germans are north of me and the Greeks are far north.

The Germans say, 'let's go attack the Greeks' and I agree. All my units are heading to the Greeks, all the German units are HEADING TOWARDS ME.

Oh yeah, they do stuff like that.

Should the question, "Am I being used?" arise in the typical game of Civilization V, the default answer is, "Naturally!" :)

Ok, so we went to war, I took the opposing Civ's capital and one other city. Thy had two cities left, and for about 10 turns I reduced one of them to zero resistance, but Babylon never came & took it, so we made peace.

20 odd turns later he asks "shall we go to war?". You can guess my answer....

Fun.

Whenever I enter into these pacts, which is rare, I never expect a competent ally when it comes to joint military operations. If the 'ally' in question is a pretty powerful military civ anyway he will probably go ape no matter what I do but if he is average or weak his troops will be cannon fodder at best.

The AI is terrible at following through with attacks. They can kill off lots of defending units in a particular region but they won't press their advantage and take the cities.

they have no obvious reason and just sit there picking their nose. :shrug:

In a recent game, Germany DoW'd me constantly - at times, as soon as the peace treaty expired. Thing is, they only once massed a real attack on one of my cities. The rest of the time, it was just a naked war with no aggression.

Fun.

Whenever I enter into these pacts, which is rare, I never expect a competent ally when it comes to joint military operations. If the 'ally' in question is a pretty powerful military civ anyway he will probably go ape no matter what I do but if he is average or weak his troops will be cannon fodder at best.

The AI is terrible at following through with attacks. They can kill off lots of defending units in a particular region but they won't press their advantage and take the cities.
I only use it to gain a boost in friendship if someone asks to go to war with a civ I want to fight. Oddly enough, if you pay a civ to go to war with another civ they will usually fight.

I only use it to gain a boost in friendship if someone asks to go to war with a civ I want to fight. Oddly enough, if you pay a civ to go to war with another civ they will usually fight.

Last game, I paid Nebu to attack Ramses, to stall his expansion and science push a bit. He had a larger military than Ramses, but never once even moved a unit into an aggressive position, even though Ramses had several ripe, undefended cities right next to his border. He was just taking my money and screwing me over. :shrug:

Last game, I paid Nebu to attack Ramses, to stall his expansion and science push a bit. He had a larger military than Ramses, but never once even moved a unit into an aggressive position, even though Ramses had several ripe, undefended cities right next to his border. He was just taking my money and screwing me over. :shrug:

Well I ended the game last night with a domination win. I was taking the cultural path, and William was the only other major strength on the map. As soon as selected my final SP he turned up on my doorstep with a rather large navy.

Tip, don't take a knife to a gun fight... His frigates and other sailing ships walked straight into battleships, destroyers & subs :lol: It took just 2 turns to sink his entire navy ( having artillery on the coast helped too).

I then went and took his capital, and decided to have Babylon to finish off the game.

In a recent game, Germany DoW'd me constantly - at times, as soon as the peace treaty expired. Thing is, they only once massed a real attack on one of my cities. The rest of the time, it was just a naked war with no aggression.

Yea. Had this with Washington. After two wars he was reduced to one city and nothing. yet he declared war (in conjunction with a couple of other civs). But he did nothing the entire war because he had nothing. Even after I made peace with everyone he stayed stubbornly at war. I guess when they hate you enough they`ll stay in war mode until they get a win or death.

Top Bottom