Are custom paradrop animations possible?

DoctorMcGann

Emperor
As part of a project Zantonius Hamm and I are working on, we have a unique unit which we wanted to be able to paradrop. The problem is, neither the xcom's spaceship thing or the paratrooper's plane would work for this unit. Would it be possible to substitute in another model/animatioin for this unit?

As part of a project Zantonius Hamm and I are working on, we have a unique unit which we wanted to be able to paradrop. The problem is, neither the xcom's spaceship thing or the paratrooper's plane would work for this unit. Would it be possible to substitute in another model/animatioin for this unit?

I think it works similar to a visual effect so in theory if you use fx_paradrop_airplane.gr2 as your template you should be able to change the plane. Then point to your fx_<custom>.fxsxml in the civ 5 effects it should work. I have had problems with these effect files as it used to work by putting it in your resource folder but the only way I could get it to work lately was to directly append it to the effects xml file in the expansion2 DLC folder.

I'm trying to do something similar. Changing the animation of the paradrop is easy (follow Wolfdog's instructions) but I haven't been able to find a way to link the paradrop event to the new custom animation.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some aspects of the paradrop sequence are hard-coded in the game somewhere. I made a unit that was rigged to XCom Trooper animations and used the same .fxsxml file with the XCom Trooper paradrop promotion -- but I still get the generic paradrop animation instead of the spaceship and jetpacks. So I suspect that the game is programmed to use the one paradrop animation for any unit that can paradrop, except for the XCom Trooper which likely has a specific override programmed in. :(

You're probably right. I spent a lot of time looking for parachute, paradrop, skyranger, xcom, etc... and there was nothing. Thanks though. Hopefully your new unit works out.

Top Bottom